View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

15 8.57%
Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast
    To me, all of the main functionality of widgets can be replicated with headless apps (only existing in notifications area). If more apps were headless or had the option of a headless view (possibly with a card for settings or in depth views), this would be fine with me. The option of having these apps automatically run on power-on would be just as good or better than android-style apps.

Widgets are sometimes nice, but are a little bit clunky, and, besides, home screen-type widgets really don't work well with the card view model.

tl;dr: webos CURRENTLY has all of the tools necessary to create a widget-type experience
    i hate widgets.

just had to get that out of the way.

i do like webOS notifications though. and i like them visible from the lock screen. you guys ever use the smartrunner app? it has a notification that when you tap on it it gives you your pace, mileage, etc. ditto if you lock the screen and then just push the power button. there are weather apps that update in the notification area too i think, and the music players use it, etc...

where i'm going with all this, is that for me, i like using the notifications as "widgets." i can see them from the lock screen, and for a quick at-a-glance review, i just tap the notification area, and then close them when i'm done. that way we can have all of our quick info right there from anywhere in webOS.

here is how i think this could be improved: have the ability for apps to be written with an option to leave the notification open when the app is closed. i know we get plenty of notifications for closed apps (that's kind of the point), but for ones that no longer use the notification area when the app is closed, it would be cool to have a setting to leave it open. like it i could have my weather app set to leave a notification icon that when touched would open up and show temp, humidity, wind, and uv index, or whatever.

i think that would be cool, and accessible from anywhere in webOS. not like having to go to some stupid home screen to see a clutter of widgets.

EDIT: sorry, i got sick of reading all the cr@p about widgets and posted before i got to the end of the thread. looks like i'm not the only one who'd like to see this.
    Last edited by igobytony; 09/02/2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: not an original idea
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i could have my weather app set to leave a notification icon that when touched would open up and show temp, humidity, wind, and uv index, or whatever.
    ...check out "weather icon" it changes it's launcher icon based on the current weather conditions..its pretty sweet...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Yes but I'm trying to see this from a stock 500mhz point of view. Palm said at Developer Day they were working on a way for apps to load instantly so I'm hoping it's included in 2.0.
    ...? I don't see how that works?? opening an app is what it is...unless you had a list of apps 'sorta' open??
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Widgets = lack of true multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    ...check out "weather icon" it changes it's launcher icon based on the current weather conditions..its pretty sweet...
    yeah, it is pretty sweet. i just wish it did it as a notification instead. i don't ever see myself changing the quick launch icons i have, and also, launcher icon updates seem so... idk. i think they're kind of too apple-esque. no offense to the dev, i'm just not a fan and i think they're a little played out. but that's just me.
    with webOS 2.0, all those plugins and stuff, man, i believe that palm phones are gonna be like saloons in the wild west
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I am not a developer, but signed up for the e-mails. I got this today dealing w/widgets.

Dynamic Widget Instantiation | Palm Developer Center Blog

It is entitled: "Dynamic Widget Instantiation"
    That is for things like lists, headers, buttons, etc.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Can anyone just say if apps load instantly now or are there still splash screens? Should be a simple question.
    Simple question indeed. <<mod edit>> However this kind of info is protected by a NDA.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/03/2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Removed passionate response as it was triggering a flame war - sorry
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy521 View Post
    Widgets = lack of true multitasking.
    how are widgets lack of multitasking? it never was said "get rid of cards and get widgets". widgets are a way to see something at a glance. yeah you can leave cards open, but out of habit i close mine. Ive had the pre for over a year and i always throw away cards before turning off the screen. theres nothing wrong with having options.

one thing i noticed on this forum is any other option that another competitor has is automatically shot down with "no, cards are better, we dont need that"

WHY NOT BOTH! cards + the OPTION to have widgets?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  11.    #171  
    Virtual keyboard reference found in webOS 2.0 SDK

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler
    We’ve been speculating about how Palm would pull off a tablet or other keyboard-lacking device, and that of course would require some manner of virtual keyboard. While Palm clearly didn’t announce any sort of addition to webOS with the reveal of 2.0 earlier this week, that doesn’t mean that it couldn’t happen. In fact, an anonymous tipster pointed out to us that the /etc/palm/luna.conf file in the webOS 2.0 SDK contains not just a reference to a virtual keyboard, but subsection all to itself titled [VirtualKeyboard]. There’s one value in that subsection, VirtualKeyboardEnabled=false, and right now the SDK doesn’t have any files that would be enabled by changing that value to true. But this is still a sign that Palm is indeed prepping a keyboardless slate device, and we won't see it until webOS 2.0 hits. Or maybe 2.0 will bring the virtual keyboard to devices like the Pre...

UPDATE: Due to this leak, Palm has decided to suspend processing of new applications to the Early Access Program. Developers up to this point only needed to be registered with the Palm Developer Center and have an app in the App Catalog for apply for access. According to webOSdev on Twitter, Palm is currently reevaluating their restrictions on access to early releases of the SDK (developers are required to sign an NDA) and may reopen admission to the Early Access Program in the future. For the sake of all developers, we hope that happens soon.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/03/2010 at 09:06 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Howabout this for an idea:

Put another slide-out area at the top of the screen for widgets.

The widgets would slide out just like the notifications bar at the bottom, but at the top.

They would be thinly sliced like the notifications, and look identical, but just be for widget style things (current weather, rss feeds, etc)

That way they are unobtrusive and tuck away nicely when not being looked at... like the Dashboard on Mac.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I would really like a leak of the new palm phone now, before I breakdown and buy the epic, i think i could wait for a couple more months if i knew what it looked like
    that does look pretty awesome! I just hope more devs get on board with this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Howabout this for an idea:

Put another slide-out area at the top of the screen for widgets.

The widgets would slide out just like the notifications bar at the bottom, but at the top.

They would be thinly sliced like the notifications, and look identical, but just be for widget style things (current weather, rss feeds, etc)

That way they are unobtrusive and tuck away nicely when not being looked at... like the Dashboard on Mac.
    or, maybe have it so if you gesture across the screen below the cards and above the gesture area, instead of sliding the cards over, it does a cube looking screen change a la user change in osX or something. then the second screen could have the widgets.
    or, maybe have it so if you gesture across the screen below the cards and above the gesture area, instead of sliding the cards over, it does a cube looking screen change a la user change in osX or something. then the second screen could have the widgets.
    Yeah, even if they fade in ala Dashboard...just something where they hide out of sight.

Android is UGGLLLYYYY.
    it does a cube looking screen change a la user change in osX or something.

Just for the record, Compiz in Linux did this cube effect about 6 years before Mac starting using it. Apple just lifted it from them, as well as Spotlight, Expose, Dashboard and Multiple Desktops.

All on Linux first, stolen by Apple.

Just putting credit where credit is due.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Just for the record, Compiz in Linux did this cube effect about 6 years before Mac starting using it. Apple just lifted it from them, as well as Spotlight, Expose, Dashboard and Multiple Desktops.

All on Linux first, stolen by Apple.

Just putting credit where credit is due.
    thanks for the info! that makes the idea even better to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    1. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone keeps applications open. I for one always close an application when I am finished using it.
    2. And having a card based mobile OS that makes switching between applications doesn't?
    3. Because a quick launch bar limits you and it only launches applications, nothing more.
    4. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure you'll be seeing some WebOS-like things in Android 3.0 now that the guy that is responsible for the design of WebOS is heading up the Android 3.0 project.
    adding widgets to the OS would be similar to adding flash.
    if we had the option to turn it off, we complainers wouldn't have much to complain about. that being said, if Palm adds widgets - doubt it - then let's hope it comes with an off switch. the only widget i ever found useful was the weather widget on htc sense, which is truly awesome.
    besides, wouldn't widgets almost defeat the purpose of "just type" that makes it so that you can tweet, or update your status, by just typing, thus eliminating [one of the many] needs for widgets.
    For all of the people who are OCD, or just like to have a clean screen, and always close all of the cards, it would be nice to have a way to minimize the cards. I would like to be able to keep some apps running, but I don't always want to have to look at them, so it would be nice to be able to hide them. I imagine something kind of like the launcher pages, you hit a button or something and it puts you in card view. This would give you the ability to have a homescreen with widgets if you wanted it, or it would simply let you see your wall paper without having to close your apps. This way if you don't want widgets you just don't add them and you could keep card view open all the time if you want, but if you want widgets then you have the option for them.