View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

15 8.57%
Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 18 58 ... LastLast
    Widget lovers. I'm sure there will be a homebrew-patch out in an instant after the official 2.0-release that allows you to switch the Pre to "Exhibition"-mode with a swipe of your finger (like a swipe down from the middle menu or a forwardswipe on the main screen) - and there you have your widgets-equivalent. (with the only difference that it doesn't suck your battery dry while you don't need it)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Can anyone just say if apps load instantly now or are there still splash screens? Should be a simple question.
    ...at 1ghz the splash screens are gone in a sec or 2....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    Widget lovers. I'm sure there will be a homebrew-patch out in an instant after the official 2.0-release that allows you to switch the Pre to "Exhibition"-mode with a swipe of your finger (like a swipe down from the middle menu or a forwardswipe on the main screen) - and there you have your widgets-equivalent. (with the only difference that it doesn't suck your battery dry while you don't need it)
    ...thats cool...as long as I don't have to use crap widgets...

...icons in the launcher ages are updatable, like weather icon and govnah....the launcher pages are also customizable, I have mine divided up int categories too...
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Honestly, I was always pretty disappointed with the widget functionality on my Nexus One. The Google provided weather/news widget never really updated automatically properly. I always had to open it up to get the weather to refresh. (and I went through 3 Nexus Ones, 2 T-Mobile, 1 AT&T variety, and several different ROMS and stock firmware versions). The *idea* of widgets is ok I guess, but Android's implementation sucks.

Don't get me wrong, there are things that are great about Android, but overall, I greatly prefer webOS, and the loss of widgets is hardly a dealbreaker for me.
    ...in 2.0 why couldn't they just expand upon the launcher icons, since they update...they're basically 'widgets'.....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I am not a developer, but signed up for the e-mails. I got this today dealing w/widgets.

Dynamic Widget Instantiation | Palm Developer Center Blog

It is entitled: "Dynamic Widget Instantiation"
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/02/2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Thanks to deesugar for the new URL - URL updated
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    ...at 1ghz the splash screens are gone in a sec or 2....
    Yes but I'm trying to see this from a stock 500mhz point of view. Palm said at Developer Day they were working on a way for apps to load instantly so I'm hoping it's included in 2.0.
  8.    #148  
    Speculative new features in 2.0 (based on yesterdays leaked images):

Add/Remove Launcher Pages
    Reorder Launcher Pages
    Named Launcher Pages

Text Correction:
    Auto-Caps on/off
    Auto creation of shortcuts on/off
    Auto-Correction on/off
    System Sound (on/off) played when typing is auto-corrected (user selectable sound)
    Edit User Dictionary
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/02/2010 at 11:30 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I think there might be some folders implementation as well. In one screen shot there was some palm-apps in a launcher page, and at the top it said "palm", so im thinking that maybe you can group things kinda like folders in iOS
  10.    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese3915 View Post
    I think there might be some folders implementation as well. In one screen shot there was some palm-apps in a launcher page, and at the top it said "palm", so im thinking that maybe you can group things kinda like folders in iOS
    I noticed that as well and was trying to figure out what it was. Launcher folders does fit.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I wish I had seen these leaked screenshots...hint hint
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Launcher folders does fit.
    You're right about that. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese3915 View Post
    They're named pages, like the patch, just official. I think they trying to introduce a new gesture, tap-hold (it's needed for renaming the pages). I don't remember needing to tap-hold nowhere else on webOS (ok, the full screen gmail patch uses it)
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  14.    #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    They're named pages, like the patch, just official. I think they trying to introduce a new gesture, tap-hold (it's needed for renaming the pages). I don't remember needing to tap-hold nowhere else on webOS (ok, the full screen gmail patch uses it)
    That sounds logical...thanks for the clarification!
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    sweet! and tap-hold/long press/whatever is really intuitive and I think it would be cool to have in webOS more.
    I would like to see some sort of link between apps such as calendar and contacts (like in Agendus). For example, if i have an appointment with Dr. Smith on my calendar, i can just tap "dr. smith" in the apppointment and dial the phone, send a text or email, or open his contact information. Even view the contact's address on a map without opening up the respective apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by knishknosh View Post
    I would like to see some sort of link between apps such as calendar and contacts (like in Agendus). For example, if i have an appointment with Dr. Smith on my calendar, i can just tap "dr. smith" in the apppointment and dial the phone, send a text or email, or open his contact information. Even view the contact's address on a map without opening up the respective apps.
    I think the only way to to this (sort of), is to create the appointment in Exchange, sync it, and when the notification pops up you can contact the atendees, but not the way you'd like I think there was a thread somewhere mentioning this

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
  18.    #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by knishknosh View Post
    This is how I would do it:

From event in Calender or perhaps while looking at notification of upcoming event I would start a Universal Search for the contact in question.

From there the contacts Name, Phone number, e-mail and SMS info is all automatically displayed on the screen and you can tap whichever you like to start a conversation.

Best part is I would have only typed 1 or 2 letters by this point....very easy and quick.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    This is how I would do it:

From event in Calender or perhaps while looking at notification of upcoming event I would start a Universal Search for the contact in question.

From there the contacts Name, Phone number, e-mail and SMS info is all automatically displayed on the screen and you can tap whichever you like to start a conversation.

Best part is I would have only typed 1 or 2 letters by this point....very easy and quick.
    Yes, but there really should be a way of linking contacts to the appointment

20.    #160  
    Yes, but there really should be a way of linking contacts to the appointment
    Yes, agreed. However I do think that U-S is a very good work around in the meantime. I'm hopping for a stronger calendar app in 2.0.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic