View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

15 8.57%
Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    Any chance we'll see a microphone API?
    Yes sir....webOS 2 will contain this.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Wasn't this supposed to be a 1.5 thing or did they scrap 1.5 for 2.0?
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    Wasn't this supposed to be a 1.5 thing or did they scrap 1.5 for 2.0?
    I don't think the confirmation was version dependent. I believe "this fall" or "before the end of the year" was what was said.

http://www.precentral.net/webos-get-...enty-more-fall
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Blu View Post
    The only new features that matter to me are, some sort of software update to...the ability to save pics from the web (i.e. browser updates).
    I can do this already in my Pre browser, get the context menu via Option-tap on the image, and there's the option "Copy to Photos".

Is that a patch I forgot that I'd installed?
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    I can do this already in my Pre browser, get the context menu via Option-tap on the image, and there's the option "Copy to Photos".

Is that a patch I forgot that I'd installed?
    No sir...native capability
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    -
    Last edited by PrinceAlbert; 09/03/2010 at 05:32 AM.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas92 View Post
    and do they improve the copy and paste system?
    This is what I was just thinking about too! Quite often I want to copy something from an email or someplace where you can't currently copy from. It's VERY frustrating!!
    Lets not forget document editing/creating either.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Palm needs widgets of some kind. It's nice not to have an app open for those often used glanceable things. Weather, stocks, twitter, and mail come to mind.
    Palm definitely does NOT need widgets. This is one of the main reasons the widget-friendly Android is ugly and near unbearable to use. Only reason its dominating the market is cos of aggressive marketing and the overly exagerrated 'open-source' appeal.
    Here is what I wish in WebOS 2.0, or in an update soon, in order of most to least importance

-Hardware Accelerated Graphics in the main OS...no more jittery lagging.
    -A kernel that uses 125mhz-500mhz screenstate scaling AND Smartflex combined for much better battery life. (This is one of the biggest complaints for the Pre)
    -Flash Player
    -Camera and Microphone API's
    -Facebook Chat Synergy

AND one I made up:

-Skype Synergy (Skype integrated into the Messaging, Contacts and Phone app...use your phone like normal but with Wifi connection and SkypeOut)

This last one would be super easy and possible now that Skype has made their API open source.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post

What about Flash???

Some guy asked earlier in this thread but I didn't see any response. Or did Adobe give up? Haven't heard anything from them for sometime now...
    Can't wait for 2.0 and hopefully some new hardware to go along with it.
    After looking at the feature list... I don't have as much a problem leaving Palm. It's sad to say, but it's how I feel. Bigger screen is more important atm.
    My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    This is exciting
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post

What about Flash???

Some guy asked earlier in this thread but I didn't see any response. Or did Adobe give up? Haven't heard anything from them for sometime now...
    This has been said a lot of times

Flash is independent of the OTA updates, it will come as a downloadable app in the catalog.

When? No one knows
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    Palm definitely does NOT need widgets. This is one of the main reasons the widget-friendly Android is ugly and near unbearable to use. Only reason its dominating the market is cos of aggressive marketing and the overly exagerrated 'open-source' appeal.
    What is it about a widget that makes an entire OS ugly? And having the option to use widgets doesn't mean you have to, merely means you have the option to.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What is it about a widget that makes an entire OS ugly? And having the option to use widgets doesn't mean you have to, merely means you have the option to.
    1. HOW i beg you HOW would palm even implement widgets in webOS. on the homescreen? sure. but wait, then when we put apps into card view, where'll the widgets go? that's impractical.
    2. adding widgets to a mobile OS makes it feel like a desktop computer. if we wanted a desktop computer with a 3G band in it, we would've bought that and not a palm pre/pixi
    3. why need widgets when you have a quicklaunch bar. how many applications can you possibly have in your webOS device that makes you need a seperate place for widgets?
    4. having "the option" to use widgets makes it seem like palm is trying to copy that of google and apple's design(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by cmilette View Post
    1. HOW i beg you HOW would palm even implement widgets in webOS. on the homescreen? sure. but wait, then when we put apps into card view, where'll the widgets go? that's impractical.
    2. adding widgets to a mobile OS makes it feel like a desktop computer. if we wanted a desktop computer with a 3G band in it, we would've bought that and not a palm pre/pixi
    3. why need widgets when you have a quicklaunch bar. how many applications can you possibly have in your webOS device that makes you need a seperate place for widgets?
    4. having "the option" to use widgets makes it seem like palm is trying to copy that of google and apple's design(s).
    1. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone keeps applications open. I for one always close an application when I am finished using it.
    2. And having a card based mobile OS that makes switching between applications doesn't?
    3. Because a quick launch bar limits you and it only launches applications, nothing more.
    4. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure you'll be seeing some WebOS-like things in Android 3.0 now that the guy that is responsible for the design of WebOS is heading up the Android 3.0 project.
    Though I agree it is nice to have options, webOS wasn't designed with widgets in mind. That's like someone saying "Oh yeah, Blackberry would be better if it had widgets." But why?

I think Windows Phone 7 proves that widgets are not the only way to access information quickly, at a glance. Some would argue that the "hubs" on WP7 are simply a type of widget. I'm not saying that the idea isn't similar, I do however feel that they way they are implemented are different than how Android does widgets.

But back to the point at hand, if you like widgets then explore an OS that utilizes them. I highly doubt that webOS will have Android-style widgets anywhere in the near future, in terms of software updates. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    I am, therefore I think
    1. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone keeps applications open. I for one always close an application when I am finished using it.
    2. And having a card based mobile OS that makes switching between applications doesn't?
    3. Because a quick launch bar limits you and it only launches applications, nothing more.
    4. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure you'll be seeing some WebOS-like things in Android 3.0 now that the guy that is responsible for the design of WebOS is heading up the Android 3.0 project.
    I kinda agree with this. I actually was having a conversation with 2 of my friends the other day about our phones (they have android, i have webos).

They asked a few things like about widgets and customizing, and i basically said no there arent any widgets of customizable homescreens....because the cards are what go in there and it seemed like they were kinda put off by the idea. And part of me does understand why. The multiple homescreens with customizable widgets is kind of a genius idea. Give the user control, give the user options. like my friend had a sports homescreen (had tickers with scores along with shortcuts to apps that had to do with sports), had a social networking homescreen - at a glance he could see facebook, twitter info. had a screen for weather, at a glance saw the next 5 days forecast, etc.

-and yes, you can keep cards open and all, but idk its just kinda different.

The widgets give "at a glance" availability and thats what alot of users are turned on to android by.

Android is proof that you dont really need a "slick and slender" and pretty UI to compete in the smartphone market. I know alot of ppl would think otherwise but hey, if its such a put off, why is android growing at a huge rate?
    These are a few things that are making my android vs webos decision hard. It will be made when webos/new hardware come out.

AND!!!

everyones excited for a new palm device.....i hope sprint carries it.....i for one will not change to another carrier and if they do not release it on sprint then i guess android will be an easy choice.

Just some food for thought.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Can anyone just say if apps load instantly now or are there still splash screens? Should be a simple question.
Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757 ... LastLast