View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

15 8.57%
Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12525758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1365
    I agree with you -- i have always been there salivating for the newest update but this one has me stand offish. i am sure once it is out and on my phone and poeple like sconix have had time to update their patches and apps that it will all be good for me but so far at every update i have had to doctor my phone to the new revision and then run through the painstaking process of bringing up to date all of my patches and apps -- the first to get the update the talk always goes from why don't i have it --- when will it get here -- palm owes me this update to why aren't my patches updated -- when will the devs update my free apps why doesn't this work -- why doesn't that work the devs owe me an updated patch even though i have never donated a penny..

i am personally going to wait until this update has been out for awhile and others have debuged it -- i have my overclocked pre plus with 130+ apps and patches just like i want it and don't have the inclination or time to start putting humpty dumpty back together.

IMHO
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/04/2011 at 10:34 AM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    I agree with you -- i have always been there salivating for the newest update but this one has me stand offish. i am sure once it is out and on my phone and poeple like sconix have had time to update their patches and apps that it will all be good for me but so far at every update i have had to doctor my phone to the new revision and then run through the painstaking process of bringing up to date all of my patches and apps -- the first to get the update the talk always goes from why don't i have it --- when will it get here -- palm owes me this update to why aren't my patches updated -- when will the devs update my free apps why doesn't this work -- why doesn't that work the devs owe me an updated patch even though i have never donated a penny..

i am personally going to wait until this update has been out for awhile and others have debuged it -- i have my overclocked pre plus with 130+ apps and patches just like i want it and don't have the inclination or time to start putting humpty dumpty back together.

IMHO
    I couldn't agree more, as I'm in much the same situation. ;-)

I'm hoping there will be a new phone released on the heels of the event, and I'll be starting over with a new device. Hopefully, with the help of Preware, Internalz, and Save/Restore, I will be able to re-build the new phone without too much trouble.

But, I'm really not going to like having to go back to the stock webOS launcher. I'm hopeful some enterprising dev will solve that in due time....
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    I couldn't agree more, as I'm in much the same situation. ;-)

I'm hoping there will be a new phone released on the heels of the event, and I'll be starting over with a new device. Hopefully, with the help of Preware, Internalz, and Save/Restore, I will be able to re-build the new phone without too much trouble.

But, I'm really not going to like having to go back to the stock webOS launcher. I'm hopeful some enterprising dev will solve that in due time....
    I agree -- i am so happy with my phone as it sits that i really don't want to start over -- except with new hardware

I just thought of a question --

If i buy a topaz or palm pad or what ever will i be able to use my palm profile on both? or will i have to purchase 2 copies of all of my apps? -- hmmmm i am going to pose this in the appropriate thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon no h View Post
    I wonder why the wait until Feb. 9. Why not just relelase 2.0 and make almost everyone happy already? Then again, 2.0 might not even be part of the news on Feb 9.
    The reason you don't see or hear a lot of people talking about the Pre or Pre Plus is because there has not been a lot of hype generated by AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint to really get the general public interested in the phone. There was a bit of hype by Sprint at launch since it was a Sprint exclusive in 2009, but the advertising was horrible and it didn't make people want to even look into buying the phone! AT&T has only advertised the iPhone, and Verizon has been locked into Droid, so really, the Pre and Pre Plus were just not shown to many potential customers compared to the other devices.

Now, the big thing about the Feb 9th event is that it is intended to get people excited about WebOS and the new devices being released. Picture it, AT&T certainly has not been releasing updates for their Android based devices, and even on Verizon the updates for Android based phones have been few and far between. So, picture an announcement from HP saying that ALL existing devices will get the new OS version, and then showing off new devices with the new OS. Make it a big press blast followed by commercials to push the new devices.

Then, go back to things that would have sold many more Palm Pres and Pixis than the commercials did, the Touchstone. How many people out there would buy a Pre Plus TODAY for no other reason than to never have to plug in their phone to charge it? Add to that the true multitasking and ability to switch between open apps, the gesture area, and physical keyboard which does not take up space on the screen when you are responding to a post on Facebook or Twitter, and you would bring in a LOT of people.

Even the size, which some feel is too small, is more attractive to some people than these giant devices that some people find TOO big to use comfortably, and you have a winner when it comes to sales. If AT&T can claim that most people with an iPhone are not using more than 2GB of data each month, that also implies that there are a huge number that don't even download apps or go on web pages...these are the types of people who don't care about the number of apps in the catalog, so HP can take advantage of these things to sell the new phones.

You want more apps to be available, you get public attention and sales. You get sales by getting the general public interested in your product, and that is where hype comes into play. Feb 9th will hopefully be just the beginning.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    I agree -- i am so happy with my phone as it sits that i really don't want to start over -- except with new hardware

I just thought of a question --

If i buy a topaz or palm pad or what ever will i be able to use my palm profile on both? or will i have to purchase 2 copies of all of my apps? -- hmmmm i am going to pose this in the appropriate thread
    I'm pretty sure you will be able to share the same profile, it seems to be the core idea with the cloud and connectivity between devices. i.e. the feature of calls being forwarded from the handset to the tablet when the handset is placed on the Touchstone.) -

and, IMHO, there is no way HP would try and make people buy two copies of the same app -I'm sure one will be able to access all the apps on one's phone, as well as on the tablet.
    The Official webOS 2.0 Anticipation Thread is a very long thread, and I have not read the whole thing, so please do not beat me up if this topic has been discussed before.

I know HPalm has posted that WebOS 2.x is coming to older devices. I have also read postings claiming that 2.x will be released for older devices at about the same time as the Feb 9 event.

I don't believe it. Here's why.

• WebOS updates are posted by the carriers, not by HPalm.
    • My carrier, Sprint, will probably have nothing to do with the Feb 9 event. Why should they time their software release to coincide?
    • What marketing advantage could HPalm gain in releasing an update at the same time as a blockbuster product roll-out?
    • If the 2.x upgrade is ready now, why not release it? If it is not ready, then HPalm will have all available talent concentrating on the roll-out and 2.x upgrades will have to wait.

I love my Pre and I plan to keep it (unless Feb 9 tempts me with something wicked cool). I sure would like to see 2.x on it, but I doubt if that's going to happen soon.

PS Have you noticed that if you say HPalm quickly, it sounds like a huge scary WMD?
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    The Official webOS 2.0 Anticipation Thread is a very long thread, and I have not read the whole thing, so please do not beat me up if this topic has been discussed before.

I know HPalm has posted that WebOS 2.x is coming to older devices. I have also read postings claiming that 2.x will be released for older devices at about the same time as the Feb 9 event.

I don't believe it. Here's why.

• WebOS updates are posted by the carriers, not by HPalm.
    • My carrier, Sprint, will probably have nothing to do with the Feb 9 event. Why should they time their software release to coincide?
    • What marketing advantage could HPalm gain in releasing an update at the same time as a blockbuster product roll-out?
    • If the 2.x upgrade is ready now, why not release it? If it is not ready, then HPalm will have all available talent concentrating on the roll-out and 2.x upgrades will have to wait.

I love my Pre and I plan to keep it (unless Feb 9 tempts me with something wicked cool). I sure would like to see 2.x on it, but I doubt if that's going to happen soon.

PS Have you noticed that if you say HPalm quickly, it sounds like a huge scary WMD?
    Updates are NOT posted by the carriers. The carriers test them and then give Palm the go ahead, then Palm releases them when they see fit. I have a good feeling they said, "we might as well wait untl Feb. 9 now."
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    The reason you don't see or hear a lot of people talking about the Pre or Pre Plus is because there has not been a lot of hype generated by AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint to really get the general public interested in the phone. There was a bit of hype by Sprint at launch since it was a Sprint exclusive in 2009, but the advertising was horrible and it didn't make people want to even look into buying the phone! AT&T has only advertised the iPhone, and Verizon has been locked into Droid, so really, the Pre and Pre Plus were just not shown to many potential customers compared to the other devices.

Now, the big thing about the Feb 9th event is that it is intended to get people excited about WebOS and the new devices being released. Picture it, AT&T certainly has not been releasing updates for their Android based devices, and even on Verizon the updates for Android based phones have been few and far between. So, picture an announcement from HP saying that ALL existing devices will get the new OS version, and then showing off new devices with the new OS. Make it a big press blast followed by commercials to push the new devices.

Then, go back to things that would have sold many more Palm Pres and Pixis than the commercials did, the Touchstone. How many people out there would buy a Pre Plus TODAY for no other reason than to never have to plug in their phone to charge it? Add to that the true multitasking and ability to switch between open apps, the gesture area, and physical keyboard which does not take up space on the screen when you are responding to a post on Facebook or Twitter, and you would bring in a LOT of people.

Even the size, which some feel is too small, is more attractive to some people than these giant devices that some people find TOO big to use comfortably, and you have a winner when it comes to sales. If AT&T can claim that most people with an iPhone are not using more than 2GB of data each month, that also implies that there are a huge number that don't even download apps or go on web pages...these are the types of people who don't care about the number of apps in the catalog, so HP can take advantage of these things to sell the new phones.

You want more apps to be available, you get public attention and sales. You get sales by getting the general public interested in your product, and that is where hype comes into play. Feb 9th will hopefully be just the beginning.
    You are totally right, Targon. Mespiff also mentioned the hype, and that is smart from an HP marketing standpoint. It will be nice to finally (hopefully) get some of the features promised before.
    will we be able to download 2.0 as an update when its available?
    i am trying to get the virtual keyboard on my phone and it says it is not available for 1.4.5. of webos.
    will palm pre plus users be able to download webos 2.0 as an update when it becomes available? or is it strictly for the pre 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by juiceboxjen View Post
    will we be able to download 2.0 as an update when its available?
    i am trying to get the virtual keyboard on my phone and it says it is not available for 1.4.5. of webos.
    Yes, your carrier will release 2.x as an OTA update soon. You wil probably hear more from the HP announcements on Feb9th.
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    I had 2.0 for one week on my pre. due to missing the apps I had on 1.4.5 I went back. But if anyone has questions then I will be happy to answer.
    how were you able to get 2.0 on your phone? was it an update option? my palm pre plus says it is updated with 1.4.5, but doesnt have 2.0 as an option.
    a hacked 2.0 dr was circulated and previewed on the main page; however, it is currently 'frowned upon' by the community. if you want it you're gonna have to google.
    I'd recommend just waiting till the 9th though. The doctor is nice but not revolutionary, and you can't use the app catalog, overclocking or most patches. Also you'll make leo apotheker cry...
    will palm pre plus users be able to download webos 2.0 as an update when it becomes available? or is it strictly for the pre 2?
    All palm devices will eventually get. Hopefully we won't be old enough to tell our grandkids about it.
    webOS 2.0 coming to 'all' Palm devices in the coming months -- Engadget
    how were you able to get 2.0 on your phone? was it an update option? my palm pre plus says it is updated with 1.4.5, but doesnt have 2.0 as an option.
    He most likely got a link from an hp worker or someone. But you can't ask for it here since it's against the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    however, it is currently 'frowned upon' by the community
    It's illegal to link to. That's all.
    It's not frowned upon. Well, maybe by some, but who cares what they think.
    hardly recommended not to use this early 2.0beta doctor on your phone. you will pretty sure cripple your palm profile when using it with this version of webOS.

It's a developer beta-version which is not meant for customers...
    Two more FULL days of waiting. Yes I know we have Sunday but we have to superbowl to keep us up. Monday and Tuesday are left and then we might get a 2.1 release date.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTAFan9999 View Post
    Two more FULL days of waiting. Yes I know we have Sunday but we have to superbowl to keep us up. Monday and Tuesday are left and then we might get a 2.1 release date.
    I've said this before . . . I can't see 2.0 being released for older devices until the new hardware having 2.0 is released. Why would HP shoot themselves in the foot like that? Might be a bad example, but that would be like Microsoft giving Windows 7 to all their old customers for older machines knowing next month new computers with Windows 7 install are coming out. I'm predicting that the 2.0 for older phones isn't coming out until after the 17th (if that date is correct) when the Pre 2 is available in the USA on Verizon. Just my 2 cents.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I've said this before . . . I can't see 2.0 being released for older devices until the new hardware having 2.0 is released. Why would HP shoot themselves in the foot like that? Might be a bad example, but that would be like Microsoft giving Windows 7 to all their old customers for older machines knowing next month new computers with Windows 7 install are coming out. I'm predicting that the 2.0 for older phones isn't coming out until after the 17th (if that date is correct) when the Pre 2 is available in the USA on Verizon. Just my 2 cents.

ET
    ARRGH! *Crosses off 2.1 release for Feb 9 off the to-do list*
    Quote Originally Posted by GTAFan9999 View Post
    ARRGH! *Crosses off 2.1 release for Feb 9 off the to-do list*
    I don't think we'll need to wait that long...

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.