View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

15 8.57%
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 123456789 14 54 ... LastLast
  1.    #61  
    <<Threads Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Here is the evidence in the picture, the name which is little unusual is underlined by the infamous squiggly line.
    eye knead bat sew fad
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Stacks - One of the biggest points that Palm focused on was what they called "true multitasking"...Now the company is doing to what is inarguably a robust multitasking scheme in 2.0..."Stacks" automatically group related cards together...That means that if you're in email and open a link (or links) in a browser, those cards will stick together because they're part of a single workflow. You can drag and drop those cards manually, but the function will happen all by itself in the new OS (sans developer or user intervention).
    The best way to manage Stacks would be to use the "bounce" that happens when you flick a card down (in minimized card view). Downward Flick=Stack Shuffling

...Simple, Elegant, webOS 2.0.

Just Type - Palm has gone and renamed Universal Search from webOS to "Just Type," and has opened the API to developers, allowing for custom search engines which dig into both apps..and ping server-side as well. Also developers will have..."Quick Actions" which apparently can string together multiple actions using one command..."start an email, create a message, update your status, search your favorite websites-all without having to launch an app."
    My mind is hitting Warp Speed just thinking about the possibilities...
    I brought this up in the nanplayer thread, but it could apply to any media app. Wouldn't it be cool to type "play santeria by sublime" and have your chosen default mp3 player open up and play that song. The same could apply to playlists or really any type of file once the default apps list becomes functional (i suspect it will).
    I don't think that blue card on the right is the Phone app. I just checked my Phone app and the letter P does not stick out as much as it does in the picture posted on the first post. Maybe the Phone app got a GUI cleanup?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Hey, go back and read the stuff from Palm's dev day in April. Ben and Dion have stated that GPU acceleration will be in webOS 2.0. You don't have to guess at anything. It's coming so stop worrying. And as someone mentioned in this thread and Rahul Sood mentioned today on Twitter, there are things that are in 2.0 that weren't mentioned today. Today was for the devs. The behind the scenes stuff is exactly that, behinds the scenes.
    From what I read from the developer day thing in April the only new features was stuff that we saw from today (behind the scenes stuff like Javascript, db8, API's, etc) and CSS Transforms (which are big in their own right). So the CSS Transforms and stuff will be hardware accelerated? If that's true and if they really DO make things smooth on the Pre then I can stick with it for another year if need be (although I can upgrade in December) if they don't come out with new hardware. Especially if that FINALLY means barcode scanners and Shazaam.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I am most excited about the Quick Actions feature. I imagine it being very similar to an extension I had for Firefox called ubiquity. You would call ubiquity with Alt+U and then just type. You could search the web or do in-line commands such as typing "tweet I love Quick Actions" and it would update my twitter status without ever having to navigate away from the current page I was in. You could also type "email bob get over here now" and it would send an email to bob in my gmail contacts the message I typed again without ever navigating away from what I was doing. This is so versatile that new options where constantly being added with little to no effort. I would recommend everyone looking into ubiquity as a way of understanding how the Quick Actions framework could easily become revolutionizing to way we do things on our smartphones.
    Exactly what I was thinking!
    Just picture what this could do for managing meetings, group appointments, last minute changes (medical field/emergency response) ...holy crap!
    All the updates are nice and all, but am I the only one who doesn't think it's enough to go from 1.4.5 all the way to 2.0? hopefully there's a lot more features in there that we'll learn about. In my opinion 2.0 would have to be something as big as 1.0 was.

Who else is hoping for GPU support?
  9.    #69  
    Personally I think the items mentioned here are huge news! Not to mention that we have been promised expanded API's for the Mic and Camera....that's going to plug some application holes a lot of users are currently dealing with.

...and this is what we know about today. I'm sure there will be lots of little things as well.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    All the updates are nice and all, but am I the only one who doesn't think it's enough to go from 1.4.5 all the way to 2.0? hopefully there's a lot more features in there that we'll learn about. In my opinion 2.0 would have to be something as big as 1.0 was.

Who else is hoping for GPU support?
    They stopped giving rapid updates to work on 2.0 apparently, so it seems perfectly alright. And yes, there is a lot more features that we don't even know about. These features are just to entice more developers and open up the possibilities to existing developers. These things alone actually warrant 2.0 for me. Everything else new we hear from this point on will just be sweet sweet icing for me haha. I'm sure at this point the things to be delivered by 2.0 won't disappoint.

Oh yeah, I was hoping for GPU support. It has been confirmed by Modular So now I'm just excitedly/anxiously awaiting the release D=
    Mmmmm Web OS2 on a 1 Ghz Thunderchief Pre. I like the sound of that, although I don't really get lag anymore anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by eps1lon3 View Post
    They stopped giving rapid updates to work on 2.0 apparently, so it seems perfectly alright. And yes, there is a lot more features that we don't even know about. These features are just to entice more developers and open up the possibilities to existing developers. These things alone actually warrant 2.0 for me. Everything else new we hear from this point on will just be sweet sweet icing for me haha. I'm sure at this point the things to be delivered by 2.0 won't disappoint.

Oh yeah, I was hoping for GPU support. It has been confirmed by Modular So now I'm just excitedly/anxiously awaiting the release D=

So that guy is legit and it IS TRUE?! OMG! I am staying with the Pre until another HPalm device comes out. No more Epic for me.

Also.....isn't it ironic that they drop this news on the release date of the Epic? Hmm....good strategy HPalm because I JUST played with an Epic today and was tempted lol.
    I have never camped out for a device before, but with this I will be camped out at my sprint store. Any one else?
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I have never camped out for a device before, but with this I will be camped out at my sprint store. Any one else?
    YES!
    or...maybe just a pre-order ^_^
    just a thought. Maybe Palm decided to release this information today to take some hype from apples event tomorrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    just a thought. Maybe Palm decided to release this information today to take some hype from apples event tomorrow?
    this would be brilliant
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Well, if that was the intention, they managed to catch my attention. Vpn support, auto correct / suggestions when typing even in the browser, better tutorials... This is what should have been shipped as webOS 1.0

The stacks concept, I'm already loving it!!!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    ...if we can customize our own card stacks, that'll be even more powerful multi-tasking than I can get out of my desktop pc.
    It was mentioned that customization of the stacks was part of Palm's implementation...
    see here direct from Palm-->>Intro to webOS 2.0 - Palm Developer Center
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    I can't wait to see what they are holding back. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't tell us some of the best stuff yet.
    Great news, can't wait for more. Just release it on INSANE hardware and I'll be thrilled.