View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

15 8.57%
Page 31 of 69 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    The version of webOS 2.0 that shipped to SFR is based on a beta.

Several features are not implemented in that version. I think it's premature to expect a 2.0 release on US carriers. US carriers don't have the release version for testing yet.

Your gonna wear yourself out if you expect the final release before about Dec.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    ok so (i just got my first palm today, bear with me) Webos2.0 is NOT out? when is it expected?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    The version of webOS 2.0 that shipped to SFR is based on a beta.

Several features are not implemented in that version. I think it's premature to expect a 2.0 release on US carriers. US carriers don't have the release version for testing yet.

Your gonna wear yourself out if you expect the final release before about Dec.
    Somebody in the Engadget Espace meet-up thread said he overheard the Palm guys say the U.S. Carriers do have it. I'd go find the link but I'm mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by chargersfan85 View Post
    ok so (i just got my first palm today, bear with me) Webos2.0 is NOT out? when is it expected?
    Correct. Not out (in the US) The most recent official news says, "in the coming months." We've also heard before the end of the year. So we expect it... Before the end of the year.
    I kind of like the current card miniaturization and the ease at which it lets you scroll through and move around apps. This has apparently been removed from 2.0.

I also think that the usefulness of stacking related cards is being overemphasized. Or maybe I just don't see how it makes things easier.

Anyway, just a thought.
    I like the availability of the option to stack cards but I seldom have more than two cards simultaneously opened so I am not exactly intrigued.

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
    Well the normal behavior is to open an app, do something with it, close it. While this is all good and fun, it really is a process better capitalized by iOS or android simply because the app doesn't really close, like it does in webOS.

So to fully take advantage of webOS, you have to leave the apps open, providing the ability to update periodically, and switch to instantly. This is what stacks are for. If you leave lots of stuff open, some will be related, and easily placed together. When you need to access an idea, such as social media, it's all there, facebook/twitter/feedReader/whatever. While this could be done previous, stacks allow all these to be switched to with a few simply swipes, while currently we swipe, examine, swipe some more, examine, swipe a couple times (unless your organized) examine.

Basically stacks make multitasking organization easier, like how multiple desktops does with linux.

Now if you don't leave apps open, stacks will be predominantly useless, and honestly most of the benefits of webOS are as well.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I don't care about Stacks either. I wish they had put the effort into things like a decent native mapping app, an email client with filters/threading/optional plaintext, separate alert tones for missed calls and voicemail, and the like.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well the normal behavior is to open an app, do something with it, close it. While this is all good and fun, it really is a process better capitalized by iOS or android simply because the app doesn't really close, like it does in webOS.

So to fully take advantage of webOS, you have to leave the apps open, providing the ability to update periodically, and switch to instantly. This is what stacks are for. If you leave lots of stuff open, some will be related, and easily placed together. When you need to access an idea, such as social media, it's all there, facebook/twitter/feedReader/whatever. While this could be done previous, stacks allow all these to be switched to with a few simply swipes, while currently we swipe, examine, swipe some more, examine, swipe a couple times (unless your organized) examine.

Basically stacks make multitasking organization easier, like how multiple desktops does with linux.

Now if you don't leave apps open, stacks will be predominantly useless, and honestly most of the benefits of webOS are as well.
    I disagree with the sentiment that most of the benefits of webOS are lost if you close cards. Many of them continue to function in the background when closed and give you notifications, so there is no need to have the "clutter" of the cards open if you don't use them too often. For example: Pack&Track, Switcharoo, Facebook, weatherIcon, e-mail, messaging (to name a few). I really don't have a reason to have much else open since those are most of my core apps anyway.

My self-diagnosed OCD prevents me from leaving a lot of cards sitting open, but I don't think I am missing out on anything webOS has to offer.
    Hard to say, and hard to comment on something that we have seen pictures of, but nobody has used. Easy to say you don't like them, not going to use them etc, right now, but this could be one of those things that are "you don't know how much you like it / use it, until you use it." The mini cards are all well and good but if you have 10-15 or so cards open, you can still only see a few of those, with stacks, I can see it being more manageable. Maybe not a seller by itself, but I think 2.0 as a whole will be a lot better than what we have now.

I also flip back and forth between closing all unused cards and keeping them open, ClearCard is a pretty neat app that allows you to have a semi-clean display while having your cards open. Depends on where I'm at, what I'm doing, battery level, too many variables involved.
    I think many of us developed the habit early on of closing cards to avoid TMC/massive slow-down. With new hardware and 2.0 I could potentially see adopting a system suited to me but similar to what was shown in Dieter's video the other day: http://www.precentral.net/managing-y...s-20-workspace . Especially if things like mode switcher, etc. gain the ability to open stacks of apps.

I understand the desire for a clean workspace, but I think a decent portion of webOS users (mostly Pre- folks like myself) are in the habit of closing apps, simply to increase device performance.

I can tell you that before I switched to webOS I was in the habit of using T9 predictive text on my dumbphone. Something better came along, so I broke the habit.

P.S. The only time I end up in "tiny card view" is by accident. I don't hate it or anything. It's only "one tap" out of my life each time and it doesn't happen often. Just saying, I'm not gonna be that sad to see it go, and that factors into my feelings on stacks.
    Last edited by Psychonaut; 10/29/2010 at 02:03 AM.
    +1 on Speebs...and after watching the video of Dieter manipulating the stacks I for one am looking forward to it!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

I think it's one of the features that is going to shine best when coupled to new hardware that can handle keeping a lot number of apps open in the background.

For example I could easily find myself keeping a small stack of open games, my commute to work was never long enough to play through large chunks so most of the time I didn't bother. If I can just put it on pause instead and flick it to a background stack then I'd be more tempted to play them.
    After a long day in the field today and using my Pre more than usual... there was a point where I had a ton of cards open and found myself getting annoyed with the constant having to flip all over to go back and forth to cards. It was at that point I remembered the video Dieter shot showing the Stacks and I realized how awesome this would have been today. Being able to group cards together would have been a huge plus today for what I was doing at work. I wasn't really excited about it before, but after today I totally see the benefit!
    I seldom if ever leave an app open between sessions and even when I multitask I close the apps as soon as I finish what I am doing. Perhaps if stacks worked differently by allowing you to group a set of apps and open and close them all at once, then I could get some use out of them.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    The "stacks" sounds like a nice idea, but I would rather have the ability to tile the cards or display in 2 or more rows of the smaller size.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Stacks is something hard to know if I will like it just by watching videos, I have to actually use it. I don't have a lot of cards open all the time so it doesn't affect me so far, but maybe Stacks may change my usage pattern.

If anything I want Just Type the most.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I've already been in the Just Type mode for some time now, even before it was announced. I need to call someone in my contacts, Just Type. I need an app, and don't want to scroll through 7 pages and 150 apps, Just Type. I want to find an address or phone number of a business, Just Type. I want to find out an answer to a question, Just Type. Seems like this was already there, just not quite as advertised? I'm not sure I'll notice anything new on that level, but maybe there's more to it.
    I suppose the other aspect of stacks that could make them interesting is with apps that start designing around them. The latest update of the facebook app looks like it could be designed in that way, popping up certain features in a new card allowing you to quickly flick back to the main news feed. I could see something similar with twitter clients, popping up a new card when replying or looking at a thread of @ replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I've already been in the Just Type mode for some time now, even before it was announced. I need to call someone in my contacts, Just Type. I need an app, and don't want to scroll through 7 pages and 150 apps, Just Type. I want to find an address or phone number of a business, Just Type. I want to find out an answer to a question, Just Type. Seems like this was already there, just not quite as advertised? I'm not sure I'll notice anything new on that level, but maybe there's more to it.
    Quick actions. Is the new feature of just type I'm most looking forward to. Hmmn, wonder if a quick action could be defined to open a predecided stack of apps?