View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

15 8.57%
Page 25 of 69 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by asmoma View Post
    Is hardware acceleration of menu's in webOS planned? 20-30 fps scrolling is not good enough. The card view is clearly hw accelerated(it runs smooth even when the cpu is on its knees(too many objects in a 2D physics simulator)).

I used to have a iphone 2g(1. gen). Scrolling in 60 fps with infrequent lag and near perfect finger responce is quite different from approximately 30 fps with frequent lagging and noticable lag between finger and scrolling.
    (arm11 with MGX lite vs cortex a8 with SGX530)

Is palm adressing this MAJOR issue, or are they just pretending like the problem does not exist(like nokia for instance)?
    hardware acceleration of the entire UI is not currently utilized for webOS i believe this includes cards, but perhaps that has changed when the new animation was introduced. I do not believe so however.

There was acknowledgement of this, and the latest i remember hearing was that the GPU would be implemented in the UI for webOS 1.5 (or perhaps now 2) in the form of CSS transforms using hardware hooks.

I believe that Ben and Dion had said this sometime back in march, but I'm really not certain.

EDIT: here's precentrals write up, its in this article
    http://www.precentral.net/webos-get-...enty-more-fall

"Ben and Dion spent quite a bit of time looking at the stupendous new stuff coming with HTML5 and while some of it isn't necessarily on-tap for the next version of webOS, it's clear that Palm is not only committed to including but excited about some of the new features in HTML5. Hardware-accelerated CSS transitions are a go, which will really speed up animations and transitions in webOS. "

I am hopeful to see them implemented, as i believe it will significantly speed up and smooth out the pre's UI and add that extra buttery feel you get with other hardware accelerated UI's (iOS)

-
    There are four lights.
    Rumor has it hardware accelerated CSS transforms, which will speed up all animations in the UI (scrolling, etc), will be included in the webOS 2.0 update.

This will be a huge win and will make webOS even more of a pleasure to use.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  3.    #484  
    Spell Checking! I have been saved!

<<Thread Merged>>
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/19/2010 at 10:02 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    So is 2.0 going to be available on the old Pre's or will the old pre's processors not even handle it?
    Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    So is 2.0 going to be available on the old Pre's or will the old pre's processors not even handle it?
    Looks like all the old phones will be getting WebOS 2.0 in the coming months. Palm USA | Palm Pre Family | Full featured for the full-on life.
    With the rebranding, will we see an HP logo on reboot instead of a Palm logo?

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Can I be the first to request that someone make a patch to get rid of the "Just Type" bar on the homescreen? Just Type seems like a cool new Universal Search, and I have seen the posts about it being "permanent". I hope that doesn't mean that it can't be removed. I want Just Type to work just like universal search, meaning that I start typing from the homescreen and it starts working. I do NOT want to tap on the Just Type bar and then start typing. I seriously hope that it can be removed so that I can continue to use Switcharoo Free and have my wallpapers completely visible. If I wanted widgets that covered up my homescreen, i'd go to android. and if I didn't want a homescreen, i'd go to the <deleted by Mod> iphone.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/19/2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment - this is a family-friendly forum.
    My Patches
    -Change Number of Bookmarks.patch
    -Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time.patch
    -Increase Top Bar Font Size.patch

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
    seriously? Shouldn't you try it first?
    Nope. I want the Just Type functionality, I just don't want the bar on the homescreen. I don't have to try it to know I don't want it. If Just Type only works by first clicking on that bar, I will be extremely disappointed. I love the fact that with universal search, I can just start typing and it opens up the search screen. I don't want to have to click on the bar and then type. I like a clean homescreen, and don't want the bar there.
    My Patches
    -Change Number of Bookmarks.patch
    -Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time.patch
    -Increase Top Bar Font Size.patch

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Beautiful OS upgrade....same crappy hardware. Thanks HP. Palm couldn't have done better itself! PASS!!!!
    Until we actually have a released 2.0 version... we will keep all chat/requests/etc... in this 'Anticipation' thread. Thank you

<<threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartino2011 View Post
    Nope. I want the Just Type functionality, I just don't want the bar on the homescreen. I don't have to try it to know I don't want it. If Just Type only works by first clicking on that bar, I will be extremely disappointed. I love the fact that with universal search, I can just start typing and it opens up the search screen. I don't want to have to click on the bar and then type. I like a clean homescreen, and don't want the bar there.
    you don't have to tap the bar first. Yu "just type." it was in the video on the front page.

I'm with you though; I'd like the option to remove it. I can see how it is a good idea to have it there as default, especiall when considering how many people w pres don't think to use universal search. I've even heard stories in the forum of pre owners complaining about having to scroll through contacts like they were using an old iPhone.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    i wondered:
    why is the gesture area light turned on so often in the videos of the palm pre2 when its not touched?
    on my pre it does this only when it lags...
    is that a bug? :-)

edit: check "webos in 10 minutes" video at 3:40 or 5:33 for example
    you guys think it might look cool if there was a patch that made all cards launched be in a single stack?
    IMHO I don't think webOS 2.0 lived up to it's hype.
    Most of the announcements I find really no interest in, other phones have mostly all of it plus more.
    One of the things I was really looking forward to is Skype, but it's only for Verizon.
    Pre 2 is running 1GHz but it still seems really slow in the video.
    Besides Sprint users probably won't even get Pre 2.

This Christmas I'm able to upgrade, and I think I'm gonna be leaving webOS for Android.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartino2011 View Post
    Can I be the first to request that someone make a patch to get rid of the "Just Type" bar on the homescreen? Just Type seems like a cool new Universal Search, and I have seen the posts about it being "permanent". I hope that doesn't mean that it can't be removed. I want Just Type to work just like universal search, meaning that I start typing from the homescreen and it starts working. I do NOT want to tap on the Just Type bar and then start typing. I seriously hope that it can be removed so that I can continue to use Switcharoo Free and have my wallpapers completely visible. If I wanted widgets that covered up my homescreen, i'd go to android. and if I didn't want a homescreen, i'd go to the <deleted by Mod> iphone.
    LOL! First of all webOS2.0 isn't even out yet. Once we get access to a 2.0 webOS Doctor, someone will make a patch to hide the bar.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I have a question about stacks. Does anyone know if you'll be able to save stack states? For example, if I'm starting from a fresh reboot, can I click one button and it pull up a stack of email, calendar, and tasks? Or maybe click another button that will pull up a stack of 3 browser cards loading 3 different bookmarks?
    why the hell will hp release 2.0 to france and not the u.s first? what is wrong with them? 2.0 better come before the end of october... i dont think hp properly planned their actions....and if they did they are not that bright..
    Read everything but didn't see that?

I need it for work.