View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

15 8.57%
Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
    The only thing that I can see happening is Preware becoming deprecated for all except the most powerful of its features (i.e. ipk installation from harddrive). Looks to me like 2.0 is going to have some sort of homebrew service baked in, remember the screenshots that show a feed selection in the new app catalog? And the fact that there's a "services" tab in the 'installed software' list as of 2.0?

Maybe in the future, if all you wanna do is install a homebrew app and a patch, the App Catalog will be your friend and Preware will gather dust on the fifth page, only used when doing Kernel stuff or other more specialized stuff...

SOOOOO, with new devices already having undergone oversight authority scrutiny, what's Palm waiting for? I say they're waiting for Microsoft to release WP7 in a couple of weeks and will announce/release a few days later. Depending on what HPs intel says about Google's plans this fall, they might even decide to wait out the Gingerbread release and then go for it.

Look at what Engadget did when Nokia had a long planned-out function and HTC just busted in and held their thing on the same day - they ran out and joined HTC, sarcastically saying sorry on the website.
    Palm knows that this is webOS' situation - the tech press might write a few pieces on 2.0 on release day, but if Steve Jobs rips a loud smelly fart later the same day, it will take 2.0's place in the headlines and stay there for two days. They need to wait for Microsoft to drop and the noise to settle, and for Google to drop and the noise to settle, before they can drop and hope to make any noise at all.
    Otherwise they release 2.0, get one article on engadget and gizmodo ("really nice OS, really nice hardware, but since nobody is going to buy it and nobody is going to develop for it, we recommend that you don't buy it so that nobody will develop for it") just to have Google release 3.0 two days later and get constant coverage for the next two weeks.

Today's tech press is a lot like Dug in that pixar movie, Up...
    "webOS is a good and smart operating system, and its features are good and APPLE!!!!!"
    Global Posts
    803 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    "webOS is a good and smart operating system, and its features are good and APPLE!!!!!"
    +1!!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  3.    #403  
    Yes....2.0 will be released to current Palm hardware.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  4.    #404  
    <<Threads Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  5.    #405  
    Quote Originally Posted by <name deleted by mod> View Post
    YES!
    that better than winning the superbowl or FIFA world cup!
    Will it come in different colors?
    Will the new operating system come in different colours?

I'm going to say no.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 10/01/2010 at 03:22 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Hehe, I love Up... and you are dead on.
    my 1 hope: Landscape. Everything should be available in landscape, email, the launcher, the phone screen, everything. This day and age, it would seem that is an easy thing to do (though that is much easier to say when you have no idea how much programming goes into such a thing).
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    my 1 hope: Landscape. Everything should be available in landscape, email, the launcher, the phone screen, everything. This day and age, it would seem that is an easy thing to do (though that is much easier to say when you have no idea how much programming goes into such a thing).
    i cant wait for this
    I am most excited about the Quick Actions feature. I imagine it being very similar to an extension I had for firefox called ubiquity. You would call ubiquity with Alt+U and then just type. You could search the web or do inline commands such as typing "tweet i love Quick Actions" and it would update my twitter status without ever having to navigate away from the current page I was in. You could also type "email bob get over here now" and it would send an email to bob in my gmail contacts the message I typed again without ever navigating away from what I was doing. This is so versatile that new options where constantly being added with little to no effort. I would recommend everyone looking into ubiquity as a way of understanding how the Quick Actions framework could easily become revolutionizing to way we do things on our smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    Honestly, if you think about it, why do we even want flash?
    So I can use my Weight Watcher website completely not rely on their stupid mobile application which suxrox.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    So I can use my Weight Watcher website completely not rely on their stupid mobile application which suxrox.
    For 10 milliseconds, which is when Flash will have sucked your Pre dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    And the original droid is already EOL'd with itKs replacement already on the market not to mention phones like the droid x, incredible, epic and evo. Using the orignal droid for a comparison just makes zero sense.
    I'm comparing apples to apples, given that both devices run on identical hardware. And my post was used to provide evidence for lack of hardware acceleration in Android OS.
    What do you think it says about the release date of webOS 2.0 that Palm have Developer Days scheduled for 19th & 20th Nov in New York, with emphasis on 2.0? Have to be before that wouldn't you think?
    ok people have you played with swype on android phones? It's absolutely the coolest text input method ever! If you combind the easy to navigate webos with swype, you would never have to use the physical keyboard or have to open the phone for that matter!

give me some feedback on this?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    As a pixi plus owner on ATT, I'm still anticipating 1.4.5, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanTzor View Post
    ok people have you played with swype on android phones? It's absolutely the coolest text input method ever! If you combind the easy to navigate webos with swype, you would never have to use the physical keyboard or have to open the phone for that matter!

I second that Swipe technology is amazing and would definitely be a great improvment for any on screen keyboard.
    My History of the last 10 years with Sprint! Palm Pre is by far the BEST!

Why do we want Flash? So I can stream sports games when I'm on the go.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanTzor View Post

I have never used it, but my nephew says it may be the best thing about his epic. Seems very accurate as well.
    will webOS 2.0 be faster? as far as the whole user interface goes? I havnt done any overclocking just yet. in hopes that the webOS 2.0 upgrade will make my phone a little faster... any ideas?
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPrePlusPwns View Post
    will webOS 2.0 be faster? as far as the whole user interface goes? I havnt done any overclocking just yet. in hopes that the webOS 2.0 upgrade will make my phone a little faster... any ideas?
    Do yourself a favor and try UberKernel. It's quite safe and it'll make your Pre experience a whole lot better.