View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

15 8.57%
Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    With my phone at 1Ghz, I have noticed no real need for hardware acceleration. I honestly can't imagine my phone needing to have 'smoother UI'. It might stutter from time to time with lots of Apps open, but scrolling and responsiveness couldn't be much better.
    Even accelerated to 1 Ghz, it doesn't compare to the smoothness or precision of the iphone or ipod touch UI at 500 Mhz. And our phones are supposed to be run at 500 Mhz. I realize that our phone multitasks, yadda, yadda, but still, UI smoothness comes from video acceleration. Play with an apple product and you'll see how much better scrolling and responsiveness can be. Not to mention the battery savings that will come from letting the GPU do what it's designed to do, rather than using the CPU in a very inefficient manner for the job.

I also want to mention that my battery usage didn't change much when I overclocked my phone. A very large improvement came when I turned down the screen brightness to about 20%.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    Even accelerated to 1 Ghz, it doesn't compare to the smoothness or precision of the iphone or ipod touch UI at 500 Mhz. And our phones are supposed to be run at 500 Mhz. I realize that our phone multitasks, yadda, yadda, but still, UI smoothness comes from video acceleration. Play with an apple product and you'll see how much better scrolling and responsiveness can be. Not to mention the battery savings that will come from letting the GPU do what it's designed to do, rather than using the CPU in a very inefficient manner for the job.

I also want to mention that my battery usage didn't change much when I overclocked my phone. A very large improvement came when I turned down the screen brightness to about 20%.
    Thank you.....at least someone knows how I feel. If it weren't for the fact that I HATE Apple and everything they're about, I'd get an iPod Touch and not even worry about it.

I know it's been said OVER AND OVER that hardware acceleration is coming. My thing is what exactly did they mean by it? Are we talking screen transitions....as in when I click on an app a different animation appears? Or are we actually talking about navigation and scrolling? I think those are two seperate categories when it comes to the UI. It was my assumption that the Pre can't handle smooth dragging because of the pixel spacing and because the screen is plastic?

From the video demonstrating the emulator, it looks like we still have boot screens, and although I know the emulator doesn't tap into a REAL device's hardware, it looked like the person had to constantly reposition the mouse to get the screen to respond and drag during different times (which is similar to how we have to operate our phones currently).
    Well, Wednesday is the first day of Fall. I bet webOS 2.0 will be released on the last day of Fall. Remember "February"?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Well, Wednesday is the first day of Fall. I bet webOS 2.0 will be released on the last day of Fall. Remember "February"?
    that's generally true for a lot of release dates. They end up being on the trail end of things
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Some people look at problems and give up or complain (or both). Others figure a way around them.
    SKEET
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    that's generally true for a lot of release dates. They end up being on the trail end of things
    Or 4+ months late like Flash...
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Or 4+ months late like Flash...
    I honestly don't think Flash is ever coming...
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
    Didn't you hear? The Flash beta will be released in October. Oh, wait...
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Didn't you hear? The Flash beta will be released in October. Oh, wait...
    I don't even care anymore. I can watch pr0n on my laptop just fine. Honestly, if you think about it, why do we even want flash? Just to have something to brag about to smug iphone users? For the record, Flash tends to crash safari on my macbook pro when watching youtube. Doesn't crash firefox or any of my PCs.
    Last edited by sputnik767; 09/23/2010 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    Thank you.....at least someone knows how I feel. If it weren't for the fact that I HATE Apple and everything they're about, I'd get an iPod Touch and not even worry about it.

I know it's been said OVER AND OVER that hardware acceleration is coming. My thing is what exactly did they mean by it? Are we talking screen transitions....as in when I click on an app a different animation appears? Or are we actually talking about navigation and scrolling? I think those are two seperate categories when it comes to the UI. It was my assumption that the Pre can't handle smooth dragging because of the pixel spacing and because the screen is plastic?

From the video demonstrating the emulator, it looks like we still have boot screens, and although I know the emulator doesn't tap into a REAL device's hardware, it looked like the person had to constantly reposition the mouse to get the screen to respond and drag during different times (which is similar to how we have to operate our phones currently).
    I would assume it would mean all visual elements. At least that's how it should work. Somebody in this thread claimed that acceleration is enabled and the phone is smooth. But to make you feel better, Android does not accelerate the UI either. They just make up for it with fast CPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    No widget support means i'm moving on. Sad Palm.
    Don't let the Pixi sprinkle fairy dust on ya on the way out brother. (Kinda sick of the whiners)
    I don't even care anymore. I can watch pr0n on my laptop just fine. Honestly, if you think about it, why do we even want flash? Just to have something to brag about to smug iphone users? For the record, Flash tends to crash safari on my macbook pro when watching youtube. Doesn't crash firefox or any of my PCs.
    I agree. Not having your kit slow to a crawl because a Flash ad grabs all your CPU cycles is kind of nice.
    I would assume it would mean all visual elements. At least that's how it should work. Somebody in this thread claimed that acceleration is enabled and the phone is smooth. But to make you feel better, Android does not accelerate the UI either. They just make up for it with fast CPUs.
    Playing with the Epic has made me believe otherwise now because it is so smooth....so much so that I plan on moving on to the Epic in Decemeber when I'm eligible (unless 2.0 is that great, which I have my doubts because the features that Palm has leaked don't really scream anything revolutionary). It's a shame because of Android's fragmentation, but when the Epic gets 2.2 (possibly 3.0) I'd be happy with it if it was "stuck" that way until another upgrade eligibility.

Also, although that claim has been made, I don't see how anyone could say that when all we have is the emulator (which apparently can't show hardware acceleration) and the NDA...? If that person said that it does indeed smoothen the phone out, wouldn't that mean they would have had to of actually played with a Pre with 2.0?
    Last edited by jrdatrackstar; 09/23/2010 at 10:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    Playing with the Epic has made me believe otherwise now because it is so smooth....so much so that I plan on moving on to the Epic in Decemeber when I'm eligible (unless 2.0 is that great, which I have my doubts because the features that Palm has leaked don't really scream anything revolutionary). It's a shame because of Android's fragmentation, but when the Epic gets 2.2 (possibly 3.0) I'd be happy with it if it was "stuck" that way until another upgrade eligibility.

Also, although that claim has been made, I don't see how anyone could say that when all we have is the emulator (which apparently can't show hardware acceleration) and the NDA...? If that person said that it does indeed smoothen the phone out, wouldn't that mean they would have had to of actually played with a Pre with 2.0?
    It is possible that some people are testing 2.0 devices. I'm sure that 2.0 has been in development for a while now, possibly even since launch day, and I'm sure that Palm knows about this site. For the record, I've played with the original Droid, and there's nothing special about it. It runs on the same hardware as our Pre, and graphics are just as choppy. I still have a year left on my contract, and am in no hurry to drop another $200 on any new phone, so I'll be with the Pre for the time being. It's fine with me, and I'll see what 2.0 delivers. If it doesn't live up to the hype, I can always switch to something different. But for whatever reason, I'm optimistic. And most importantly, my biggest gripe with this phone has been stability. It used to be pretty unreliable. 1.4.5 seemed to take care of most issues, and as long as this phone is reliable, I can handle slightly choppy animations and waiting an extra 2 seconds for an app to load. And I much prefer the sleek form factor of our phones to the brick-looking Apple and android devices. And I also like the fact that we can hold our phone any which way, without losing cell phone signal. But the iPhone 4 is the smoothest, fastest handheld that I've ever messed with, but of course it does not have true multitasking. But you can never have everything perfect.
    Last edited by sputnik767; 09/23/2010 at 11:30 PM.
    It is possible that some people are testing 2.0 devices. I'm sure that 2.0 has been in development for a while now, possibly even since launch day, and I'm sure that Palm knows about this site. For the record, I've played with the original Droid, and there's nothing special about it. It runs on the same hardware as our Pre, and graphics are just as choppy. I still have a year left on my contract, and am in no hurry to drop another $200 on any new phone, so I'll be with the Pre for the time being. It's fine with me, and I'll see what 2.0 delivers. If it doesn't live up to the hype, I can always switch to something different. But for whatever reason, I'm optimistic. And most importantly, my biggest gripe with this phone has been stability. It used to be pretty unreliable. 1.4.5 seemed to take care of most issues, and as long as this phone is reliable, I can handle slightly choppy animations and waiting an extra 2 seconds for an app to load. And I much prefer the sleek form factor of our phones to the brick-looking Apple and android devices. And I also like the fact that we can hold our phone any which way, without losing cell phone signal. But the iPhone 4 is the smoothest, fastest handheld that I've ever messed with, but of course it does not have true multitasking. But you can never have everything perfect.
    I hear you. I love the Pre's formfactor over any device right now. I too have played with a Droid and yea it's not iPhone smooth, but the Samsung Epic nearly is. Multi-tasking in the Pre's way.....eh I can live without. On my Hero, the way you have to multi-task was fine with me and honestly it was never that big of a feature for me on the Pre. I just like webOS better because it's the closest OS I've ever used that felt like iOS (although Android kind of does also now on the Epic like I said).

It's not that I really just want to drop webOS and say "Thats what you get Palm..." or something lol. I just don't think webOS is ready for primetime. From what I can tell with 2.0, it should be ready for the most part. As with all my devices, even if I move on, I'll still keep my Pre with me (just as I did when I switched to the Hero momentarally). I'm only worried about the Pre's future because I don't think we'll have developers on our side, even when 2.0 releases. So many people have invested time into iOS and Android that webOS seems left out in the cold. I'm also worried that Palm (althoug still independent within HP for the most part) will not be able to follow their OWN set of guidelines for development and releases, and will instead have to go by HP's agenda (who probably doesn't have the Pre and webOS as a priority, seeing as they drop leaks for a tablet and not a new webOS device).
    Flash cuts the battery life of my laptop in half. I don't want it anywhere near my phone. If offered I won't install it. If there's no choice I'll write a patch to remove or disable it.

I'm not really worried about that; the area I really think WebOS needs improvement is in text entry. Autocorrection beyond the five words WebOS already corrects would be good. A way to position a cursor without guesswork would help. And I hope folks are right about hardware graphics acceleration helping the digitizer precision/lag issues.

If Palm's has a new hardware platform for a phone, I pray they aren't going to follow the crowd by making a bigger slab. A tablet is one thing, but I don't want to carry a 5" screen for my phone. The Pre's form factor is pretty close to perfect. I'd be very happy to trade a virtual keyboard for more battery in the same (non-sliding) factor but I know the hardware keyboard is a must for some.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smscotten View Post
    Flash cuts the battery life of my laptop in half. I don't want it anywhere near my phone. If offered I won't install it. If there's no choice I'll write a patch to remove or disable it.
    Agreed 100%.

I'm not really worried about that; the area I really think WebOS needs improvement is in text entry. Autocorrection beyond the five words WebOS already corrects would be good. A way to position a cursor without guesswork would help. And I hope folks are right about hardware graphics acceleration helping the digitizer precision/lag issues.
    Agreed. I remember Dion tweeting about some Javascript implementations of the magnifying glass text selector (ala iPhone). I wouldn't mind if Palm copied Apple completely on this. I really don't like using the Orange+tap and that's not doable with a tablet.
    And the original droid is already EOL'd with itKs replacement already on the market not to mention phones like the droid x, incredible, epic and evo. Using the orignal droid for a comparison just makes zero sense.
    For the record, I've played with the original Droid, and there's nothing special about it. It runs on the same hardware as our Pre, and graphics are just as choppy.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegsta View Post
    I honestly don't think Flash is ever coming...
    Flash better be coming. If it doesn't, My next phone upgrade will be the phone that does have it and since Apple doesn't and won't and it's already in Android 2.2, my next phone may be an Android device. I'll live without camera zoom on this thing if I have to, but Flash had better be arriving on Web OS before my next phone upgrade.....
    "And miles to go before I sleep..."
    Guitarist/Composer/Founder- Metal band-"DARK BLU"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/darkblu
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I've never had any choppy animation, but it does seem as though 1.4.5. is an improvement. 2.0 can't be any worse. The Pre is light years ahead of the blackberry it replaced I'm not complaining about it's performance. Preware is awesome. I just hope that 2.0 doesn't change anything about how Preware or apps from it, works.
    "And miles to go before I sleep..."
    Guitarist/Composer/Founder- Metal band-"DARK BLU"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/darkblu