View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

15 8.57%
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
    I am a new Pre owner but i am excited for 2.0, i dont have any homebrew apps on my pre it is still stock and only has apps from the app catalog, but i am looking forward to learning more what the phone can do and 2.0 is such a huge leap forward. I remember showing a friend my Pre and he has an iphone, i was showing him the card view and he was like we are still waiting for multi-tasking, and now with this update iphone user again are going to be waiting to catch up to the innovations of Palm!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    No widget support means i'm moving on. Sad Palm.
    When you can easily leave fully functioning applications open in card form, I honestly don't see the need for widgets. I know there's a difference between the two, but I think that the webOS method obviates the need for widgets.

And I used a Nexus One for 6 months before I got my Pre+, so I'm well aware of Android's positive and negative attributes.

I greatly prefer webOS, and 2.0 just reinforces that fact for me.

--Matt
    Maybe Palm added the type to search on the home page because we will be getting a phone with a soft keyboard
    --Marvin
    ....sweeeet...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    No widget support means i'm moving on. Sad Palm.
    I don't understand. With multi-tasking why would you need widgets? Widgets are just apps that stay open and running when other apps are running and are accessible from the desktop. Guess what? The card multi-tasking does exactly that.

Plus, with the card system, how would widgets even work? They'd be behind the cards. (And if you REALLY want widgets, they do have that in the "exhibition" mode of webos 2.0)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Maybe Palm added the type to search on the home page because we will be getting a phone with a soft keyboard
    No, they added it because the majority of people have no idea that feature exists. This makes (a VERY cool feature) prominent and obvious to everyone.
    This is what I was waiting for in 2.0, but it doesn't look like it will happen for current or future devices because of the way webOS written, correct? If they are still talking about the interface being improved through the use of HTML5 and Javascript, these wouldn't be able to use the GPU right? I thought it would require a complete re-write of the OS? Or is there still hope?
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    No, they added it because the majority of people have no idea that feature exists. This makes (a VERY cool feature) prominent and obvious to everyone.
    im on onedeep's side on this one. however, maybe 2.0 will bring a vkb to the pre instead of only a soft keyboard
    Moto Razr>>BlackBerry 8703e>>Moto Q>>Blackberry Curve 8330>>Blackberry Storm>>Palm Pre +
    Says who? They've always discussed GPU accelerated CSS Animations. This latest announcement is about developers, and basically giving them a crapload of new APIs and ways to code their apps. Not regarding the functionality of the OS. The SDK might not feature the bits about GPU acceleration because it's not a true emulation, but the device version can easily have the GPU calls to handle CSS Animations.
    Thinking about it now, 2.0 makes perfect sense for tablets. its set up great actually for tablets.
    Moto Razr>>BlackBerry 8703e>>Moto Q>>Blackberry Curve 8330>>Blackberry Storm>>Palm Pre +
    We seem to be overlooking one of the most needed features of webos. The screen following the cursor when typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by callen10 View Post
    im on onedeep's side on this one. however, maybe 2.0 will bring a vkb to the pre instead of only a soft keyboard
    Yeah thats what I meant a vitual keyboard
    --Marvin
    Supposedly CSS Transformations will allow the OS to be Hardware accelerated without necessarily needing a complete rewrite.

Animation Using CSS Transforms < CSS | The Art of Web
    I seriously can't wait for this. I'm so excited! First we need to get 1.4.5 out to the VZW Pre Plus users though so we can do some Angry Birding!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Along with the new search access, developers will have the ability to use something called "Quick Actions" which apparently can string together multiple actions using one command. As Palm puts it, you'll be able to "start an email, create a message, update your status, search your favorite websites-all without having to launch an app."
    Hm, I interpret Palm's sentence a little differently than you. I'm not claiming to be right here, I'm just offering a different interpretation...

I read their sentence to be a list of separate things that you can do, each atomically, one at a time, rather than as a list of things that you can fire off once to all happen in a series, one after another.

For my workflow, anyway, and given their list of examples, I see the separate actions to be much more likely.
    This..... has..... potential............

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I can confirm GPU acceleration is in 2.0, and It's nice and smooth.
    Modular saves the day.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I am just as excited about the new features of webOS 2.0 as anyone else but I have a concern. My concern is that Palm didn't hold a keynote showing the new features of webOS 2. No big deal right? What I am thinking (call me crazy) is that the Pre 2 is so far away that they couldn't wait for that keynote to show the new features. Do I make any sense? Also wouldn't palm need the publicity of the keynote?
    Last edited by mfaye21; 08/31/2010 at 09:03 PM.
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Yes, the quick search bar was mostly likely added so that webOS users would become aware of the feature. But I also believe and so does P/C that the bar is there for the webOS tablet that will be launched in 2011. I would imagine that on the tablet you'll touch the search bar and a virtual keyboard will appear.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast