View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

15 8.57%
Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 29 ... LastLast
    updates, but I didn't see where it also was the point of purchase for new stuff.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    no it handle both updates .. Software and apps separately in the ssme app
    So the app catalog will be available on dev phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    So the app catalog will be available on dev phones?
    Probably not since you need a Palm Profile...
    Yup...def saw no hardware acceleration css or better animation performance from the leaked video...looks like 2.0 is really for the API and better apps and social media support than enhancing the end user experience graphically. I think webOS 2.0 is more for developers and not really meant to enhance the UI (maybe speed through them using javascript now but not in making the phone more "fluid"). Maybe they're saving those things for the new hardware I suppose...here's to hoping the new device will have a glass screen for smoother scrolling and fluid dragging =(
  5.    #365  
    The video was of the emulator....
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    The video was of the emulator....
    I thought the emulator was supposed to display the phone in real time....as in how it would appear on the phone exactly?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Probably not since you need a Palm Profile...
    I think it is unwise to not open the app catalog like an ipod touch so palm can (please) take my money.
    Edit: A little bit off topic.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    What I wanted to see in the video was more than 2 cards in a Stack.....if you have to tap on the fanned-out card to zoom in on the card, how're you supposed to accurately tap on the one you want when you have 5 cards fanned-out? 10 cards fanned-out?

Hmmm...
  9.    #369  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    I thought the emulator was supposed to display the phone in real time....as in how it would appear on the phone exactly?
    It's meant to be a testing environment for webOS application development. While it may operate similarly to a real device the performance isn't necessarily scaled precisely to match the hardware realities of the device.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/17/2010 at 06:57 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ollielim View Post
    What I wanted to see in the video was more than 2 cards in a Stack.....if you have to tap on the fanned-out card to zoom in on the card, how're you supposed to accurately tap on the one you want when you have 5 cards fanned-out? 10 cards fanned-out?

Hmmm...
    Interesting thought. Perhaps they'll allow you to "scan" through the cards by sliding your finger across them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    Yup...def saw no hardware acceleration css or better animation performance from the leaked video...looks like 2.0 is really for the API and better apps and social media support than enhancing the end user experience graphically. I think webOS 2.0 is more for developers and not really meant to enhance the UI (maybe speed through them using javascript now but not in making the phone more "fluid"). Maybe they're saving those things for the new hardware I suppose...here's to hoping the new device will have a glass screen for smoother scrolling and fluid dragging =(
    i wish people would stop saying this crap. hpalm has already said that there will be hardware acceleration and all that happy jazz in 2.0 forever ago. at this point its just a given it will be there. whether it be in the initial release of 2.0 or a later release (2.4.5 ) we will find out. this is such an early build of 2.0 made for DEVELOPERS. and isn't even supposed to be seen by public eyes so assumptions like this aren't made.

have a grrrreat day.
    With my phone at 1Ghz, I have noticed no real need for hardware acceleration. I honestly can't imagine my phone needing to have 'smoother UI'. It might stutter from time to time with lots of Apps open, but scrolling and responsiveness couldn't be much better.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    With my phone at 1Ghz, I have noticed no real need for hardware acceleration. I honestly can't imagine my phone needing to have 'smoother UI'. It might stutter from time to time with lots of Apps open, but scrolling and responsiveness couldn't be much better.
    Understand what you're saying but with your phone at 1 GHz you already have hardware acceleration - lol
    Dan
    I've concluded the same. The only downside to 1 gig is battery performance, but I've fixed that with the ginormous battery. I've put my Pre head to head with an Evo and found the results quite satisfactory. Until it falls apart, I see no great need for new hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msechea View Post
    how many people do you think use preware and patches and custom kernels? hpalm isn't preware, it's a big company that has to appeal the general public (the real money maker, not patch users). the general public doesn't use or want to use preware. they want to use a product without thinking. consider all this 'patchwork' research, and whatever is applied through patches might make its way into mainstream functionality. and why create something so drastically different that what has already gotten a positive response from so many users? its all about the incremental. if hpalm were to introduce something so totally different, something so significally different that what webos has to offer, it risks losing its user base already establish (which to me, is working backwards). improve on little things here and there, make logical adjustments, innovate existing features, improve the experience.

sad to say this is big boy business, hpalm cannot cater to just one preware user who thinks they need to blow the world apart with craziness. i don't think it works like that.
    Camera Zoom, Flash 10.1, and a media player that natively plays WMV's, as well as AVI's and MP4's, would be nice incremental upgrades. Palm needs to blow the world apart with craziness in WebOS2.0. If all it is are a few nice little incremental updates that could've been done with Preware patches, it will suck, and those "the general public" will likely bypass HPalm and go for Android, iPhone, or perhaps even RIM.
    "And miles to go before I sleep..."
    Guitarist/Composer/Founder- Metal band-"DARK BLU"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/darkblu
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huffman01 View Post
    I assume someone already suggested this but i am going to throw it out there again.

WiFi Hot Spot Like the Pre Plus.
    WiFi Hot Spot isn't evident in any of the menu settings on the AT&T Pre Plus, unless I'm just missing them somehow. Wouldn't that be considered "Tethering"? We have enough trouble getting AT&T to let us have that.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of tat design too. When I first saw the article with that picture, I drooled, wet my pants a little, and then threw up some in my mouth from all the excitement. May have farted as well, but I couldn't smell it because of the barf flavor.
    OH MY GOD!!! LOL!!! I get excited over guitars but have yet to have such an "organic reaction" to technology....
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slimjanders View Post
    is there any video floating around out there of 2.0 in action? it would be really cool if a developer could post a video demonstrating 2.0 from the emulator.
    It's always possible for a leaked video or "slip up" similar to the Gizmodo/iPhone 4 debacle, but who's going to be willing to violate an NDA or risk the kind of thing that happened to Chen over at Gizmodo for the leaked iPhone 4 situation?
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    All I really want is Camera Zoom and Flash 10.1. Anything more than that is icing on the cake for me.
    At 1ghz my phone would start to become unstable and battery drain would be bad. Besides that, I shouldn't have to do that to my phone that has similar hardware to the iphone 3GS, which can pull off smooth dragging and smoother UI just fine. Yea, 1GHz kernel makes it move faster but it's never fully responsive. I'm not complaing, just a feature I'd like to see and that I thought was promised.

I mean that's all you used to hear about with the Pre is that it isn't resposnive enough and is too slow. Yes, the phone runs faster with the overclock kernels but with costs, which it should never have to be that way.