View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

    78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

    73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

    9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

    15 8.57%
Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021222767 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 1365
  1. #321  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    I just hope they incorporate the smooth scrolling patches to reduce the drag radius
    The UI is supposed to be accelerated in WebOS 2.0, so these patches are probably going to be unnecessary. In any case, I had issues with button clicks not registering with the patch, because the button click was misunderstood as a drag. The patches are a nice attempt at a workaround of the scrolling issue, but to truly make it like the iPhone, it needs a complete rewrite.
  2. #322  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    The UI is supposed to be accelerated in WebOS 2.0, so these patches are probably going to be unnecessary. In any case, I had issues with button clicks not registering with the patch, because the button click was misunderstood as a drag. The patches are a nice attempt at a workaround of the scrolling issue, but to truly make it like the iPhone, it needs a complete rewrite.
    See I hear that it needs a rewrite for smooth scrolling. But then it was said that it will use CSS Transforms for the smoothness. But from the leaked screenshots, there couldn't have been a complete rewrite because it would look a lot more different and not be ready before the end of the year right?
  3. #323  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    See I hear that it needs a rewrite for smooth scrolling. But then it was said that it will use CSS Transforms for the smoothness. But from the leaked screenshots, there couldn't have been a complete rewrite because it would look a lot more different and not be ready before the end of the year right?
    Well, my understanding of computer programming is very limited, but I don't think a rewrite of the underlying code necessarily implies that it should look any different. As I see it, CSS transforms are just a way for the GPU to take on the task of accelerating the UI elements that used to be performed by the CPU. That itself would require a complete rewrite of the underlying code for the way visual elements are handled. How does that relate to the drag radius? I honestly don't know. Maybe someone here who is more knowledgeable can chime in. But it would be a shame if the phone will have a fully accelerated UI and still couldn't match the iphone in the overall UI feel.

    As far as not being ready before year's end, I have a feeling that Palm had 2 teams working on WebOS, because they knew pretty well that WebOS 1.x was absolutely not ready for public release but they had to get a product out of the door. So I think they had a team working on fixing webOS 1.x issues to keep consumer complaints down, and another team working on actually getting WebOS to the stage that it should have been at release. Hopefully that will be WebOS 2.0. From what I've seen, 2.0 seems very promising, and if it delivers iphone-like quality and reliability, and Palm releases a competitive product, I'll definitely stay on. After what will be almost 2 years in development after initial release, and HP resources, I will expect no less. Otherwise, I'll jump to android when my contract expires in 1 year. I will be perfectly honest, had it not been for this community and the 1 Ghz overclock, I would have used this phone for skeet shooting practice a long time ago.
  4. #324  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    See I hear that it needs a rewrite for smooth scrolling. But then it was said that it will use CSS Transforms for the smoothness. But from the leaked screenshots, there couldn't have been a complete rewrite because it would look a lot more different and not be ready before the end of the year right?
    This may also have something to do with the digitizer--it's possible that the screen has difficulty telling the difference between a tap and the beginning of a scroll. I don't know, this is just speculation on my part.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5. #325  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This may also have something to do with the digitizer--it's possible that the screen has difficulty telling the difference between a tap and the beginning of a scroll. I don't know, this is just speculation on my part.
    It's possible, but I bet most manufacturers source their parts from the same suppliers. Although it would be pretty bad if palm used an inferior part while apple used a better one, considering the 2 phones are similar in price. I hope it's just a software issue. Still, discussing the original pre is now a moot point and Palm now has a chance to redeem themselves with whatever comes next. I hope that with HP's resources they will release a truly competitive product.
    Last edited by sputnik767; 09/12/2010 at 09:20 PM.
  6. #326  
    To be honest....I am not even looking for a new webOS phone. true they said that new hardware was coming, but I belive they were just referring to the tablet really. I think Palm would be smart enough to release even a tiny leak of a new phone because it was just so ironic that they released news about webOS 2.0 and the beta SDK on the same day the Epic was released. To me, they are trying to deliver something to keep the existing (however few) webOS users they DO have left. Knowing that, and that they pay close attention to this forum and the community, they wouldn't have leaked SOMETHING by now about hardware with all the posts of people jumping ship to Android and iOS.

    I've gotten to the point now to where if they just bring the current Pre's up to where they should have been from Day 1. I'll be happy, and for me the top of the list is Hardware Acceleration UI and Screen Responsiveness. If a patch can make the screen this responsive then I belive it's POSSIBLE that a software patch can fix it.

    A good example is the PDK game called Glow Hockey. If you play that, you'll see that the screen is as responsive as it should be on the launcher page. This leads me to believe (although this is a PDK app) that it is NOT simply a hardware limitation and can be done through software.
  7. #327  
    If I remember correctly, the original pre was a complete surprise when it was unveiled. It's possible that Palm is using the apple strategy. I was as pessimistic on Palm as you are now, but WebOS 2.0 really looks good. If it delivers, and it better, I think it'll be everything you would want in a phone. I mean, as great as the iPhone is, it is severely lacking in many aspects, the lack of true multitasking and he antenna issue are what comes to mind. WebOS solves the multitasking issue very elegantly, and if they polish the OS and finally enable GUI acceleration, I don't see anything else that could really be criticized. For the record, the iphone's cpu is nothing more than a modified ARM 1 Ghz processor, the same as in the ipad, droid 2, EVO, and many other phones. Whatever tablet Palm end up releasing, I bet it will share it's hardware with whatever new phone palm ends up making. And who know, the hardware may end up surprising you. After all, it has to compete with the ipad.
  8. #328  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the original pre was a complete surprise when it was unveiled. It's possible that Palm is using the apple strategy. I was as pessimistic on Palm as you are now, but WebOS 2.0 really looks good. If it delivers, and it better, I think it'll be everything you would want in a phone. I mean, as great as the iPhone is, it is severely lacking in many aspects, the lack of true multitasking and he antenna issue are what comes to mind. WebOS solves the multitasking issue very elegantly, and if they polish the OS and finally enable GUI acceleration, I don't see anything else that could really be criticized. For the record, the iphone's cpu is nothing more than a modified ARM 1 Ghz processor, the same as in the ipad, droid 2, EVO, and many other phones. Whatever tablet Palm end up releasing, I bet it will share it's hardware with whatever new phone palm ends up making. And who know, the hardware may end up surprising you. After all, it has to compete with the ipad.
    Now that you mention it, I do remember the Pre being a surprise. I just remember looking up random videos of smartphones and found one entitled "Palm Pre: The real iPhone killer?" or something like that. I wouldn't turn my nose to new hardware, but if they didnt' release a new phone I wouldn't be shocked either seeing how bad the Pre did. The tablet on the other hand.....(although tablets are out of my price range, as with a lot of other average consumers I'm sure).

    I really do hope 2.0 delivers and that they really did have a team working on this type of release from release date. I'm not gonna lie....I do have my doubts because of how Palm has disappointed us in the past. At the same time, I think they created the best rival to the iPhone and any other phone out there because of it's fantastic OS and form factor. This is really my first time using something from Palm as my everyday main device, so that's why I'm a little shaken by them (not as bad as HTC though...I hate them and how they cheaped out on Snapdragon GPU's).

    I just really hope they get it right with 2.0 because I don't think they'll get a second chance. However, Apple had it's low points before they took the crown so here's to hoping.....
  9. anifan's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #329  
    2.0 should be awesome. As long as there's speed and Just Type works well then it'll be sweet. HP needs to play the HTC game though and constantly release a flood of devices (say, a new form factor on a new carrier every month with a letterbox mode to ensure PDK compatibility).
  10. rothoof's Avatar
    Posts
    510 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #330  
    I still think this design would be sweet if it wasnt so thin
    Attached Images Attached Images
  11. #331  
    Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    I still think this design would be sweet if it wasnt so thin
    yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of tat design too. When I first saw the article with that picture, I drooled, wet my pants a little, and then threw up some in my mouth from all the excitement. May have farted as well, but I couldn't smell it because of the barf flavor.
  12. rothoof's Avatar
    Posts
    510 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #332  
    well the sprint pre and pixi prices are officially cheaper now
  13. #333  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of tat design too. When I first saw the article with that picture, I drooled, wet my pants a little, and then threw up some in my mouth from all the excitement. May have farted as well, but I couldn't smell it because of the barf flavor.
    Haha, that was pretty funny. Yea, it's a nice design, but I would still like a real keyboard (with a much better slider).
  14. #334  
    the only problem with that phone, is that there is a ton of wasted space. if you extend the screen a bit, you could have a larger screen without making the phone huge. the EVO does a great job of this.
    Moto Razr>>BlackBerry 8703e>>Moto Q>>Blackberry Curve 8330>>Blackberry Storm>>Palm Pre +
  15. #335  
    I second that I have had the Palm's with a Keyboard for ever, however if it means a thinner phone I think I can go with the on screen keyboard. If this is really what the new Palm will look like, I think it is is great!
    My History of the last 10 years with Sprint! Palm Pre is by far the BEST!

  16. #336  
    I would like to see Sconix's Mode Switcher on the new Palm .
    My History of the last 10 years with Sprint! Palm Pre is by far the BEST!

  17. #337  
    Sorry if already posted but I just talked to a guy in the phone exchange dept at Sprint while getting my Pre exchanged and he told me on his own that webos 2.0 is set for a late October release. Is this true? Wonder how relevant someone in his position would be. I didn't question him but he said it so smoothly I want to believe him. What you guys think?
  18. #338  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    Sorry if already posted but I just talked to a guy in the phone exchange dept at Sprint while getting my Pre exchanged and he told me on his own that webos 2.0 is set for a late October release. Is this true? Wonder how relevant someone in his position would be. I didn't question him but he said it so smoothly I want to believe him. What you guys think?
    1. I never trust sprint reps with insider info like that.

    2. I highly doubt by October....maybe mid December is what I'm expectin.
  19. #339  
    is there any video floating around out there of 2.0 in action? it would be really cool if a developer could post a video demonstrating 2.0 from the emulator.
  20. #340  
    I would like to see the ability to upload images straight from our phones on to internet sites. Such as here on the forums, photobucket, etc. We can already do video to an extent, (youtube) Why stop there? I would like to be free of using third party sites to upload screen shots or other photos straight from my phone, or having to connect to a computer a.k.a the old ball and chain, just to extract the pics in order to upload.

    Another feature I would love to see is the ability to copy music and video attachments from mms, straight into our phones. Like we already can with photo attachments.

    I posted these two in a thread I created, but deaf ears and crickets have outnumbered them both.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

    "Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

    Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Sign up and get 250mb of extra space FREE

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions