View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!!

78 44.57%
  • Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0!

73 41.71%
  • I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied

9 5.14%
  • I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied.

15 8.57%
Page 14 of 69 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192464 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flash4o View Post
    After being an extreme fan of webOS (and Palm in general) I have to agree with you; these leaks have yet to raise even the slightest bit of enthusiasm from me.

I think too much time has gone by and the competition has put HP\Palm squarely in the rearview mirror.

2.0 just doesn’t look like enough to get excited about, or to keep me interested enough from buying into another platform.
    I have to agree with everyone. Nothing to jump and down about for sure. at this point the battery issue alone is enough to make me swithch. I waited for ever for the pre to arrive at VZW, now I am going to keep phone for 1 year then making the switch!
    Quote Originally Posted by flash4o View Post
    After being an extreme fan of webOS (and Palm in general) I have to agree with you; these leaks have yet to raise even the slightest bit of enthusiasm from me.

I think too much time has gone by and the competition has put HP\Palm squarely in the rearview mirror.

2.0 just doesn’t look like enough to get excited about, or to keep me interested enough from buying into another platform.
    *looks at what apple did with their 2.0 software*

Paid Update for ipod touches.
    VPN
    Screen Capture
    App Store

I could go on but most of the stuff was remedial, stuff webos already does.

Webos is already a great OS, and they are refining it and no radical changes is surely a good thing?

Further, not everything has been released about the OS, don't be so quick to judge.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    *looks at what apple did with their 2.0 software*

Paid Update for ipod touches.
    VPN
    Screen Capture
    App Store

I could go on but most of the stuff was remedial, stuff webos already does.

Webos is already a great OS, and they are refining it and no radical changes is surely a good thing?

Further, not everything has been released about the OS, don't be so quick to judge.
    Unfortunately, it isn't appropriate to compare WebOS 2.0 to what Apple did with iOS 2.0. This is because it needs to compete with what is out on the market today. So yeah, this is great stuff, and still convinces me I don't want an iPhone, but someone can probably successfully argue that it still "lacks" in comarison to the then current version of iOS. The reality is, of course, that "lacks" is in most cases a mater of semantics (look at apple's definition of multi-tasking for an example).
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Except for fantastic multitasking, webOS pales to both iOS and Android at this point.

Now granted, patches and homebrew have brought it light years ahead – it’s still patch work and band aid improvements
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    How specifically have you found WebOS lacking?
    I know that we've been seriously lacking some API's for Mic, Camera, etc.. But it seems that 2.0 will bring all of that. i think the Email app could use a lot of attention but I hope that 2.0 will help there as well.

I love using WebOS and playing with android phones and my ipod touch haven't made me want to switch at all. WebOS may have some issues but those other OS's do as well.

For Android 3D games have been a weakness. Also check their forums and you'll see people uninstalling and reinstalling apps like Swype because they stop working. A lot of Android users download a task manager because they need to close things to keep their phones running. Also since manufacturers add their own UI there are a lot of UI inconsistencies between different apps and even between different parts of the OS.

Take a look at the notifications on IOS and the less elegant multitasking. You have to defy Apple by jailbreaking just to get certain functions that they don't want you to have. How does that compare to how smoothly all the homebrew and patches work with WebOS. And quite frankly their multitasking reminds me of how palmOS works on my PALM III pda from 1998.

So switch if you want to, but don't pretend that WebOS is somehow behind the competition or less sophisticated. It certainly has room for improvement but considering the size of palm I find it amazing that the platform is so innovative and an absolute joy to use.
    The webOS 2.0 update is much more than cosmetic things, it is, as I said before, the webOS that should had been shipped with the Pre, Period.

Things like VPN, stacks, messaging, hybrid pdk apps, are just the tip of the iceberg.

Somewhere I read that Palm was going to get rid of Java, and this will make the phone boot a lot faster, and use a lot less of resources, mounting services on C/C++ rather than a java interpreter. This alone will bring much better battery life and a smoother experience.

There are small updates here and there, but the real update is under the hood, and most people won't care or even see it.

Personally I praise Palm for being so secretive about webOS 2.0, it seems that it'll be great, now they just need a proper way to market it, being on the current devices or on new ones (yes, it's supposed to run on current and future devices).

Now, the OS is still in Beta, it has some rough edges, and I don't think it will be available for another couple of months, so, we really should put our minds on something else rather than be speculating dates and features.

The OS is great right now, there are ways to get the latest version even if you don't have it (Verizon, Telcel, etc), so, go and enjoy, patch your phones, use alternative kernels, make the people with iphones, androids and blackberries burn with envy!!

And, by al means, be patient!!
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by kdubhotsauce View Post
    don't you think we need a even BIGGER update? Compared to Evo and Iphone, we still fall short even with 2.0
    am I missing something? Can someone name one software based feature that currently exists on iOS or Android that won't be had by webOS when 2.0 comeout. All I can think of is widgets, and Palm hasn't even announced everything about 2.0. Palm is adding what the comp already had, but also new things the comp lacks. and lets not forget, android techies and iphone techies also have to hack there phones to get total enjoyment out of it. When Palm incorporates things homebrew came up with, we complain. But when apple incorporates something the jailbreak scene had been doing, the whole world drops down and worships their feet. No wonder palm's having trouble...
    (in response to the earlier question about barcode scanning app)

actually the QR decoder app is in the official app catalog.

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.
    What Is VPN?
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    What Is VPN?
    Virtual Private Network, let's say it's a way to connect securely to your work network and make your device think it's inside the network. Very useful!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    So excited about WebOS 2.0! WebOS never officially made it to Asia but I've been reading up on it since day 0. Didn't make too much effort to get ahold of an unlocked Pre (which was available via Hong Kong) cos of all the hardware issues...but kept on track with the news.

What I'm curious about it how Stacks works...how many cards can you stack up? The idea is nice..but I can imagine it getting out of hand with 5-10 cards in one stack. Looking forward to videos of how it actually handles multitasking for everyday use.
    VPN client support and more language input support such as chinese, japanese will be most welcomed.
    This thread just reminded me why I'm spending sooooooooooo much less time at Precentral.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I can't wait to say I have stacks on deck w/ my phone ans swipe cards off like it's money and I'm not broke.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarkman View Post
    Too bad I wont see 2.0 until summer of 2011. Really Verizon? Why does it take soo long to get a release out?!?!?!

Pre Plus still waiting for 1.4.5.
    +1... it's too bad that Verizon is seemingly steering us away from Palm with their mishandling of the update and the GPS issues. I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Nice! Love the new phone dialer and Skype!

The new phone dialer totally takes after the GSM Phone Dialer on the Centro and Treos of late.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by remix2000; 09/08/2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: updated screenshots
    Cellphone History- Audiovox CDM9155> Sanyo 5150>Samsung SCH-1000>Samsung N400> PalmTreo 300> Palm Treo 600>Palm Treo 700P> Palm Centro> Palm Pre
    Everything is looking good, hopefully they have a big feature still under wraps.... Girlfriend just switched to the epic 4G, I must say it's extremely responsive and that screen looks amazing. I'm still holding on for the pre 2, albiet with a much shorter rope.
    There are several barcode apps in the official catalog. The problem is, none of them work. It's a hardware problem though, not a software problem. So, I'm hoping that's one of the many things 2.0 will fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericco View Post
    There are several barcode apps in the official catalog. The problem is, none of them work. It's a hardware problem though, not a software problem. So, I'm hoping that's one of the many things 2.0 will fix.
    Don't think an OS update is going to help the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiatt View Post
    Unfortunately, it isn't appropriate to compare WebOS 2.0 to what Apple did with iOS 2.0. This is because it needs to compete with what is out on the market today.
    When iPhone 1.0 was released without copy and paste, without any third-party apps, without MMS, without 3G and so on, strangely enough Apple wasn't so strongly compared with what was on the market then and had all of these features. It simply outcompeted the market by virtue of being the best phone on the planet... and that had NOTHING to do with features or number of apps. At least until Apple had most of both, at which point they became the only interesting things about a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ericco View Post
    It's actually kinda a bit of both: the camera doesn't at this moment support autofocus and we lack camera APIs, so the actual processing must be done on a server somewhere. While cameras have been given autofocus capabilities from firmware updates before, I wouldn't bet on that to happen for the Pre though; but I WOULD bet on the new device having an autofocus cam. Cam APIs and a slew of others ARE coming, so maybe QR codes could be processed on-device despite the lack of autofocus (not as important for QR)

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    The webOS 2.0 update is much more than cosmetic things, it is, as I said before, the webOS that should had been shipped with the Pre, Period.
    I realize everyone's usage patterns, aesthetic and UI-flow preferences are different, but to me, release-day webOS 1.0 was essentially a flawless diamond straight out of the earth. Like totally raw and unpolished with some dirt still sticking to it. 1.x releases cleaned some of that up while people in the background were devising a cut for it.
    With 2.0, it seems like the diamond's cut is just about (feature) complete. Expect 2.x releases to polish some of its facets.

And yes, I agree, Palm "should have" shipped 2.0 with the original Pres. I also think that Microsoft should've released Windows 7 instead of Windows Millennium Edition, and cannot for the life of me understand why Ford didn't make the Model T as an EV.
    Yes, yes, hyperbole... but think about it. Progress is something which needs time by its very definition. Had Palm not released 1.x as they did, and waited with the release until webOS had reached 2.0 levels of maturity, they would have gone bankrupt before being able to release anything at all, and nobody would've bought a company whose sole products on Market in 2010 were a Treo and Centro. Palm would have been dead; webOS stillborn. The way things happened, Palm showed off a beautiful if immature OS and got bought up by Huge Multinational, Inc. like a good startup (and one could argue that Palm behaved like a startup for its last year of independence or so).