webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Official webOS 2.0 Anticipation Thread
Official webOS 2.0 Anticipation Thread
View Poll Results: Are you finished with Palm or is webOS 2.0 enough to keep you satisfied?
I am all for the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0!!! 78 44.57%
Hardware on Pre 2 is the same as the original Pre but I love webOS 2.0! 73 41.71%
I want the Pre 2 but webOS 2.0 still needs some major work before I will be satisfied 9 5.14%
I'm done with Palm! WebOS 2.0 isn't enough to keep me satisfied. 15 8.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09/03/2010, 05:09 PM   #181 (permalink)

Hey ryleyinstl any chance we would see a scrollable quick launch bar in webOS 2.0, that would more than likely solve the problem of widgets.
Old 09/03/2010, 06:33 PM   #182 (permalink)

Interesting idea!

However I know as much about webOS 2.0 as you do so I can't comment about it's feasibility.
ryleyinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2010, 06:44 PM   #183 (permalink)
Banned

@ryleyinstl, Well said.
RUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2010, 02:38 PM   #184 (permalink)

So excited!
ImperfectKodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2010, 04:50 PM   #185 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
how are widgets lack of multitasking? it never was said "get rid of cards and get widgets". widgets are a way to see something at a glance. yeah you can leave cards open, but out of habit i close mine. Ive had the pre for over a year and i always throw away cards before turning off the screen. theres nothing wrong with having options.

one thing i noticed on this forum is any other option that another competitor has is automatically shot down with "no, cards are better, we dont need that"

WHY NOT BOTH! cards + the OPTION to have widgets?
True we need both. I also have a habit of closing cards. If there was an app to keep cards from closing that would be good. I wanted widgets since the first day and thought I would surely see them in an update. I would like to see a widget app that would expand to full screen when all the other cards were closed. Kind of like a homescreen when the launcher is not up.
nullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2010, 08:04 PM   #186 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBworth View Post
Flash
I will love flash, but if it reduces speed or battery performance by any noticeable amount i wont use it for a second. I have made it this far without it so i can live without it.

Of course you may need it for other things but personally I don't want it.
cheese3915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2010, 08:45 PM   #187 (permalink)

Flash is a resource hog - Jobs got that part right. Even in the Android forums, they're talking about how horrible Flash is on Android, and yes it does eat the battery.

I'm beginning to wonder if Verizon is going to skip over 1.4.5 for the Pre and go right to 2.0? I mean at this rate, they're almost there? It's really amazing how they can't even give us a timeline. Pathetic.

As far as a 2.0 release, Palm should really hire a good advertising firm and make this bigger than Apple. If they say it the right way, it could really make Apple seem like they're following Palm, since Apple made their OS "multitask" only after Palm had it and after their customers asked for it enough. I even remember when they said multitasking wouldn't happen on their phone. But look now?

Palm also had the ability to search everything, by just typing, first. Then Apple put that in their OS. Now Palm should say "we have stacks... and Steve Jobs - we expect you to copy that from us too"

let people realize Palm is actually paving the way now also.
blueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: cmilette
Old 09/05/2010, 07:43 PM   #188 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueray View Post
Flash is a resource hog - Jobs got that part right. Even in the Android forums, they're talking about how horrible Flash is on Android, and yes it does eat the battery.

I'm beginning to wonder if Verizon is going to skip over 1.4.5 for the Pre and go right to 2.0? I mean at this rate, they're almost there? It's really amazing how they can't even give us a timeline. Pathetic.

As far as a 2.0 release, Palm should really hire a good advertising firm and make this bigger than Apple. If they say it the right way, it could really make Apple seem like they're following Palm, since Apple made their OS "multitask" only after Palm had it and after their customers asked for it enough. I even remember when they said multitasking wouldn't happen on their phone. But look now?

Palm also had the ability to search everything, by just typing, first. Then Apple put that in their OS. Now Palm should say "we have stacks... and Steve Jobs - we expect you to copy that from us too"

Fantastic idea for marketing. But the message that the new Palm device is also easy to use and very powerful also needs to get out. Could possibly kill two birds with one stone on this one.
Old 09/05/2010, 08:32 PM   #189 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueray View Post

I think it has to have flash....its one of those things it needs to properly compete in the elite smartphone market. And you are right about the marketing.....the splash needs to be huge this time around
susanoo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2010, 08:45 PM   #190 (permalink)

let's hop off the widget wagon, please. that's SO android, and SO last year.
yes, it would be great to include widgets in webOS. it'd be great to view information and interact with them without the use of an app, per say.
personally, i'd say go for it. as long as it came with an off switch, but honestly, palm doesn't need widgets to keep itself alive.
neither does apple.
googledoes. if androidOS products didnt have widgets, they wouldn't be as popular as they are now.
let's get it together people. besides, i like my pixi with or without 2.0.
even here at 1.4.5, i think its a better phone than any blackberry, android, or what have you.
Old 09/05/2010, 09:00 PM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
I think it has to have flash....its one of those things it needs to properly compete in the elite smartphone market. And you are right about the marketing.....the splash needs to be huge this time around
unfortunately, this is somewhat true. thanks to apple's drastic facetime move, the smartphone industry is upping itself and making new standards for smartphones.
now a days, its not a smartphone if it doesn't have :
-an 700+ Mhz chip
-camera that shoots video and photos
-multitasking
-has a ton of apps
-wifi
-3G
-onboard search

and optionally a front facing camera, and 4G

times are a-changing. and people want their flash. they dont care that the web as we know it is slowly moving to html5 (thanks to jobs, the master sheep herder, who says what it is and makes everyone believe him so well). consumers dont worry about phone usage and flash's inability to let the device run smoothly, or for that matter, let the device run for more than 4+ hrs. with.
people don't care. they want a phone that's better than their neighbor's. they want to be better than the guy nextdoor. it's a subconscious battle. and its been that way since the beginning. since apple invented the iphone. probably even before that - since apple invented the newton or palm invented the pilot, etc.
people want to be more efficient. people want to do things they don't need to. who will make a 30 page report on the ipad and print it out? or email it to 20 colleagues? not many.
it was bound to happen sooner or later. consumers only consume. and thanks to big players like google, they won't have to wait. apple had it right. they updated their iphone every year. so did palm.
they kept consumers wanting more, but not frantic for the next big thing, that would come out next month or so.
once androidOS became popular and more open source, it changed the mind and lives of consumers. now "droid" reigns airwaves and tv ads.
and since everyone's brainwashed into thinking its "the best", they want flash too. because its "droooid" and because flash makes their phone fun. and perfect. and so on.
i had my father tell me the other day that the droid was amazing and that it opens apps almost instantly. i let him rant a bit longer, until i dropped a couple of bombs on him, telling him about all of the fragmentation and horrible updates that aren't sent out to everyone.

so, whether we like it or not, flash will have to come into the app catalog when 2.0 hits for webOS users, and a new handheld is released by hp and palm. if not, the consumers will not complain. they will simply go out and get an iphone or a droid. not because its better, but because they're told it's better.
Old 09/05/2010, 09:12 PM   #192 (permalink)

The one feature I would like to see in Webos 2.0 is Voice commands similar to what is found in Android.

YouTube - Introducing Voice Actions for Android
Phone#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: pmcardle
Old 09/06/2010, 05:46 PM   #193 (permalink)

way more apps would be better! A more expanded app store, just apps apps apps!
CarTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2010, 09:17 PM   #194 (permalink)

flash isnt a must have feature for me but i hope with all my heart they release the camera and mic api's so we can get apps like shazam, soundhound, voice search and dialing, barcode scanning, etc. and while amazon mp3 is an ok source for music, if HP or Palm could develop a dedicated music store that would be fantastic. hopefully HP's purchase of Melodeo leads to Nutsie (plz change the name) being a default application that comes with webOS 2.0 as well.
Zephyr#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2010, 09:27 PM   #195 (permalink)
Banned

I don't think we will get a barcode app because the camera lacks autofocus and blurs anything within 2 feet. WTG Palm :/
iTz Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2010, 12:56 AM   #196 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarTM View Post
way more apps would be better! A more expanded app store, just apps apps apps!
agreed. unfortunately quantity of apps is more important than quality in today's app market.
jetsetter883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2010, 02:55 AM   #197 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
agreed. unfortunately quantity of apps is more important than quality in today's app market.
Seriously man. Well hopefully with the 2.0 release there's flash which hopefully will bring in more apps to the pre's app market. Also, hopefully when it is released, we can simply upgrade our pres and not have to buy a new phone.
CarTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2010, 03:01 AM   #198 (permalink)

Scoring my 10th post to say that I'm really psyched!
Psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2010, 08:08 AM   #199 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarTM View Post
Also, hopefully when it is released, we can simply upgrade our pres and not have to buy a new phone.
WebOS 2.0 will run on all current generation hardware.

Tags
christmas, hulu, just type, palm, palm pre, palm pre 2, palm pre plus, pixi, poll, pre, sprint, stacks, update, webos, webos 2.0, webos 2.1

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0