1.    #1  
    Why hasn't anyone thought about this yet? Perhaps I am just dumb and everyone would hate it...

Three problems with the webOS UI:

1) We have the big empty "home page" (for lack of a better term) that has nothing on it except for that lovely background pic.
    2) You can only have four shortcuts on the quick launch bar.
    3) There is no way to put an icon on the home page to act as a shortcut.

OK, so here is my idea I call it "Home Page Gestures". Have a user definable gesture shape that corresponds to an application shortcut that a user would gesture on their home page (kind of think of the old Graffiti stuff from Palm -- no raising of fingers allowed).

That way you could define "gesturing a clockwise circle" on your home page to open your Twitter client, "gesturing a counter-clockwise circle" could open the Facebook application, "gesturing a diagonal line from top left to bottom right" will open the web browser, "gesturing a diagonal line from top right to lower left, "gesturing a squiggly line from top to bottom" could open Preware, etc., etc.

What I think would be the best part of this is that it is user definable, the setup would allow you to enter your "Home Page Gesture" (and your Pre would determine if it can distinguish it from other "Home Page Gestures" you've defined) and then associate it with an application. You could have as many or as few as you want -- and it is you defining your "Home Page Gesture" shape rather than just a pre-canned (sorry for the pun) set.

So, am I off my rocker? I would love to submit this to Palm for webOS 3.0 (LOL, I know they have their hands busy), but just wanted to gauge reaction. In fact, this could probably be done as a patch too (but as of right now, I'm not smart enough to write it).

The only problem would be getting it to work around cards that appear on the screen, but if you start the gesture outside of an exist card, the touching the card could be ignored.
    I get where you are going with this. Your idea does have some legs in my view. That said I think the gesture area might be to small to accommodate these type of actions with the user running their finger onto the screen area and thus canceling the gesture action and/or closing or minimizing an open app. However there could be ways around that.

<<Thread Moved and Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I thought the point was that the "gestures" would be done on the home screen (background picture) not on the gesture area.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I get where you are going with this. Your idea does have some legs in my view. That said I think the gesture area might be to small to accommodate these type of actions with the user running their finger onto the screen area and thus canceling the gesture action and/or closing or minimizing an open app. However there could be ways around that.

<<Thread Moved and Renamed>>

Right, sorry for putting it in the wrong place

But, I don't mean using the gestures in the gesture area. I should have been more clear -- using the actual SCREEN as the gesture area. When you have no cards open you have that whole big wide area that is useless (except for showing your background image). And as long as your "Home Page Gestures" start outside of a minimized card, there should be no problem even if you have cards (or the new "Stacks" ;-) ) open.

Attached are a couple of pictures showing a gesture (sorry for my lack of artistic ability).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your artistic ability is just fine.

Submit idea here:
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I'd just like to have easy access to more applications by having "groups" on the launchbar instead of single application links. If each slot made a column pop up, or that fancy wave (i never use) with additional applications - I'd be pretty happy about efficiency of WebOS.

That said, I'd like to see some more finger and full phone gestures as options ...

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
    why have all that when all you have to do is a up gesture and your launcher pages are there. Use the cool launcher patch, and you can add pages and rename them for your groups. I like looking at my wallpaper, and wouldn't want a bunch of clutter.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    why have all that when all you have to do is a up gesture and your launcher pages are there. Use the cool launcher patch, and you can add pages and rename them for your groups. I like looking at my wallpaper, and wouldn't want a bunch of clutter.

First of all, let me say that even though I think this would be cool doesn't mean I think everyone would....

I guess I don't understand your concern about "clutter". There would be nothing on your wallpaper. That is part of my point. Since webOS does not allow us to put "clutter" on our wallpaper, this is just a different way to lauch apps.

Why this instead of swipe up to get to your launcher pages? First, the launcher defaults to the last page you opened an app from. So let's say you have 5 launcher pages (yes, I do know about the patch and do use it), when you swipe up you have to then swipe sideways to get to the correct launcher page, then find the icon on that page (possibly having to swipe down to scroll down to where the app is) and tap it. What I am suggesting here is simply an unlock your screen then do the gesture that corresponds to the app that you want to open.

This would also be very intrusive to those who would not like this because if you haven't defined any of these gestures, there is nothing to get in your way.