1.    #1  
    I have a lot of contacts with multiple names and phone numbers. Example: John & Jane Doe. I have their home phone number, and two cell phone numbers. When I use the universal search to locate "john", I find them in the list and pick the appropriate number...no problem. When I use "doe" I also have no problems. It's when I try searching on "jane" that it fails. Note that the text "John & Jane" are in the First Name field. Does the search only work on text at the BEGINNING of the field? Any suggestions?
    Could be the ampersand giving you issues....remove it and try again. I have had issues with brackets causing problems.

The other way to handle this is to create 2 contacts in Gmail for these people and then link them together on the phone. That should fix the first name issue.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by londregan View Post
    I have a lot of contacts with multiple names and phone numbers. Example: John & Jane Doe. I have their home phone number, and two cell phone numbers. When I use the universal search to locate "john", I find them in the list and pick the appropriate number...no problem. When I use "doe" I also have no problems. It's when I try searching on "jane" that it fails. Note that the text "John & Jane" are in the First Name field. Does the search only work on text at the BEGINNING of the field? Any suggestions?
    This is odd. I have an entry with "Ron the Appraiser" as the first name. It comes up when I search using any one of the words. So I added a test entry of "Bill and Ted" it works like yours does. I changed it to "Bill & Ted" and it still only pulls using Bill. I changed it to "Bill the Ted" and all three words work in the universal search.

Strange indeed....
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    i don't see that as strange. symbols often have meaning that makes them unusable in a search string. it wouldn't make sense for ? or * to work, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    i don't see that as strange. symbols often have meaning that makes them unusable in a search string. it wouldn't make sense for ? or * to work, either.
    No but you wouldn't expect "the" to work as an independent search item if "and" doesn't. "Or" doesn't work either but "But" does. With some additional testing I have a solution though.

Use "/" as in "John / Jane" include spaces. John and Jane will both hit with the universal search.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    No but you wouldn't expect "the" to work as an independent search item if "and" doesn't. "Or" doesn't work either but "But" does. With some additional testing I have a solution though.

Use "/" as in "John / Jane" include spaces. John and Jane will both hit with the universal search.
    nice! you should submit that as a "daily tip"
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by londregan View Post
    The problem is cause by the separation of those two names in your contacts. John & Jane. In the future store all names without symbols between them. Anyone of those names type will bring up all your contacts with J associated with it.
    No symbols is over kill RL.

As pastorrich1 mentioned above "/" is okay. However "&" is not. Looks like US supports some symbols and not others.

<<Thread Renamed and Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Well if you think that is the only limitation of the feeble Universal Search, check out the following thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ed-search.html

The Universal Search is screwy concerning the use of an &. I have one contact that I recently entered "Bluebird Bed & Breakfast". I can search on all three words and get results! To test further I entered and almost duplicate contact "Green Bed & Breakfast" and will only get results when searching on "Green" ......go figure.
    Last edited by Convert; 09/02/2010 at 10:49 AM.
    Yes exactly. For best results do not use "&" in contacts.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I hope that in WebOS 2.0 the Just Type f.k.a. Universal Search gets updated to search all fields in Contact, Calendar, Memos, etc.