Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi Jason. Is it possible to mask a whole folder in internalz?..I seem to only be able to mask files. I was hoping I can mask a folder. Or do you just advise putting a dot in front of the folder?
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  2.    #22  
    What exactly is the difference between an .IPK file and an .IPKG file?
    you can mask folders, yep. Tap and hold to select a folder, then choose "Info" option and the "Mask from webOS" checkbox should be there
    YES! THANKS!!!!
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Lol, "Windows mentality". Not exactly as I'd describe it, and besides, that's an awfully black and white view of the world; "either one of the other"

I think more of Internalz like FireFox. Firefox mainly is a web browser, but it can direct-view images just fine, as can it view text files. And if you have plugins or extensions in FireFox, it handle far more; multimedia, documents, etc.. And everything that FireFox can't handle, it passes off to the user's system to handle.
    However, firefox never even attempts to make itself the default application for viewing images. It embeds it for a quick view inside its own window for usability and that's that.

Internalz is the same way. I developed things like the text editor and image viewer in Internalz and the system couldn't handle those in a way I like.
    I would rather a file manager application plus a text editor application. I wouldn't want a file manager on my PC to force me to view text files in a certain editor either, be it windows, linux or mac.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the black and white "window or linux" philosophy WebOS-Internals follows. I believe it depends on the situations. There is no text editor, so I built one. See a public need and provide it; filling in the empty spots in the operating system. That's what homebrew (and to a larger extent, all 3rd party applications) is all about.
    Calling it a "black and white" philosophy is misleading. Even Windows doesn't edit files in it's file "explorer". If someone released a text editor I liked next week, and I wanted to use Internalz as a file manager, I'd be SOL. I'm bound to Internalz' text editor. It's a very fundamental philosophy of do one thing and do it well. It offers user robustness and user choice.

And just like FireFox, Internalz is designed to operate in multiple, separate windows (in the case of webOS, cards), almost like separate sub-applications. Yes, you could think of that similar to Windows Explorer with Notepad, and Microsoft Picture Viewer, but in that similarity could be applied to Linux too, like Ubuntu as well, with Nautilus, Gedit, etc..
    Gedit is a text editor and Nautilus is a file browser. They are not one in the same, I can use either one without the other.

I want a file manager that obeys my personal preferences of file associations. I wouldn't use a text editor to go browsing my files and I don't want to use a file browser to accomplish other non-trivial tasks.

As for the OP, I would always choose the best package manager (user preference) for default association with package files. I don't recommend a file browser for package management.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    If someone released a text editor I liked next week, and I wanted to use Internalz as a file manager, I'd be SOL.
    I have to say that I also think a file manager that doesn't obey the "default apps" paradigm in webos is bad for everyone.

And I don't say this because I work on preware which associates itself with .ipk (because, I honestly couldn't care less in that respect.) Though, this is where we first noticed internalz design decision.

I say this as a user. A user who wants options.

But, as a developer, I guess I can always create my own file manager which conforms to what I consider to be the correct design philosophy for a file management app.
    Last edited by oil; 08/30/2010 at 04:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    I have to say that I also think a file manager that doesn't obey the "default apps" paradigm in webos is bad for everyone.

And I don't say this because I work on preware which associates itself with .ipk (because, I honestly couldn't care less in that respect.) Though, this is where we first noticed internalz design decision.

I say this as a user. A user who wants options.

But, as a developer, I guess I can always create my own file manager which conforms to what I consider to be the correct design philosophy for a file management app.
    You two must realize that when the image viewer and text editor, there were no alternatives. None. Absolutely none. So I filled to void by embedded sub-applications.

As both of you are well aware, resource handling is only recently becoming homebrew-used. So it would have been far more complicated to do anything at that time. And to date, there are no other text editor alternatives or image viewer alternatives that accept launch parameters.

And following the same logic, I could ask why the file browser in Preware doesn't open the package in the default package manager rather than always in Preware. I ask as a user wanting options.

That said, I've already announced this a few times, but as of an upcoming release, file associations will be prompted on launch and default programs will be taken into account. Any chance of you guys following suit, allowing ppl to view screenshots in the default viewer of their choice. I personally would love that feature cause then I could have the Internalz photo viewer option to download the image, email it, etc.

EDIT: I find it odd people WebOS-Internals members keeping saying "we notice such a such a long time ago" yet no one actually contacted me to ask about possible changes.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    One thing to note here is that these comments and suggestions are not meant to be taken as criticisms of Internalz as it stands today. We all know that applications are written in response to the environment as it stands on the day it is written, and that all developers have limited free time. This is true for any homebrew application (including both Internalz and Preware).

What is happening here is that two of the major development groups in the webOS homebrew ecosystem are discussing the best way for the architecture of homebrew interoperability to proceed in the future.

Internalz and Preware just happen to be the first two major applications that really do something significant with Default Applications and launch parameters, and it is only to be expected that there will be robust technical discussion about the best way to handle it in general.

Such important discussions for the future of webOS application interoperability need to happen in public forums, so that all stakeholders can participate.

There is certainly no need or desire to take any of that robust technical discussion about the future of the webOS homebrew ecosystem personally, or consider it an attack on one application or another.

We've already seen good improvements to both Internalz and Preware as a result of this dicussion, and I expect further improvements to both applications to happen as a result of further discussion too.

This is good for the community, who then benefit from the discussion no matter which tool they use (cause it's likely that most people in the community will end up using both Internalz and Preware).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    And following the same logic, I could ask why the file browser in Preware doesn't open the package in the default package manager rather than always in Preware. I ask as a user wanting options.
    Internalz is a file browser, Preware is not so that logic does not follow. Preware's "file browser" is akin to a PC application having file->open. I expect many applications will have a minimal UI to open a file within itself (e.g. any future text editor applications).

EDIT: I find it odd people WebOS-Internals members keeping saying "we notice such a such a long time ago" yet no one actually contacted me to ask about possible changes.
    Internalz is closed source, closed development and closed testing. I don't think anyone has ever claimed to notice something in Internalz before it was released as it is not developed in the open we are not privy to the details. So I'm not sure what you mean here.

NOTE: This is NOT a criticism of a personal choice, it is an explanation. Please do not take this as a criticism of a valid personal development preference.

------------------------

Anyway I would like to clarify the issues as I see them. I believe there are 2 being discussed here.

1) All applications that would like to add themselves as a default handler for a certain resource should always prompt the user and never do so without user consent.

2) Any file browser application should "obey" the user's explicit preference for resource handling.

Both Preware and internalz have already agreed to issue 1 and going forward hopefully all future applications that intend to use the default apps will follow this. Jason has indicated that Internalz will be agreeing to 2 as well and hopefully any future file manager applications will as well.

To me it seems like an open technical discussion has resulted in 2 agreed upon standards that will only benefit the community going forward.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12