1.    #1  
    Hi everyone.

As soon as HP was announce to be buying Palm...a number of us on this site, had a "discussion", as to how fast the app count would grow.

I stated that it would grow fast, as HP would create software themselves, pay to have apps ported and pay for manpower to help app porting.

The article below illustrates HP's commitment to webOS and Palm. I believe these are all responses to a contest that HP held for it's in house software writers.

The ink is barely dry on the HP/Palm deal and Palm has not yet released it's newest software, tablet computer or smart phone. Yet, we will be adding 500apps at once. This is over and above the approx. 500 hundred that have been added since the buyout was announced, (the regular weekly additions to the app catalogs).

This is just the first of HP's in house contests. I am SURE there will be others. In addition, now that HP employees have learned how easy it is to write for the webOS platform, these people will continue writing to the webOS catalogs....they will also tell freinds, coworkers and colleagues many of whom will also try their hand at writing new webOS apps.

People keep in mind, that we all have to be webOS cheerleaders and sales people to help webOS grow faster and faster.
    Take care,

Jay

Palm App Catalog for webOS smartphones to soon get 500 apps more.
    by Prashant Gupta on August 27, 2010

Palm App Catalog for webOS smartphones to soon get 500 apps more

There have come reports of HP to soon adding 500 more apps to Plam App Catalog For webOS smartphones.The Catalog which currently has 3400 apps will surely find addition of 500 apps a major boost in attracting more and more users. There is not yet known as what kind of these 500 apps are.

Mobile phone industry is currently witnessing a rapid growth of app stores these days with more and more handset or mobile OS makers including are opening up their own app stores for mobile phones such as LG and Dell with both of them to have very recently started their own Mobile app stores.

Meanwhile,according to wikipedia,currently Apple’s App store has more than 225,000 apps available for download followed by Google’s Android market with it featuring over 100,000 applications currently. Of course, there exists a kind of direct relationship between the popularity of Mobile OS with that of related App store. Is not it?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2.    #2  
    Hi all,

In just four months the total of webOS apps, has jumped just under 50%!

In mid May we had a grand total of 3486, we now have a total of 5019.

As I mentioned in the posting above there will be an addition 500 apps, in addition to regular monthly additions of apps.

WebOS allows for porting of games and other apps, with very easy to use tools created by the extremely talented Palm programmers.

As we get closer to the release of the much talked about PalmPad, we will see many more apps coming out...HP has made no secret, that they will be developing apps in house if needed. Palm has been supplying the labor and brains to help firms port to the webOS platform.

I am sure there will be many more contests within the HP family of employees to write for the webOS platform. Keep in mind that many of the people that entered the contest, have only be using a webOS smart phone for a few months! This will bring more apps and far more interest in the Pre/Pixi smart phone family.

3 D games with very complex lengthy codes, have been ported in as little as one afternoon.

I would expect close to another 1500 to 2000 more apps by years end. That puts us well into the area of what I call Critical Mass. There are enough apps to cause people to take a look at webOS & Palm/HP. This causes app writers to start creating apps even faster.

We must keep two things in mind:

1. webOS is still the only plan form that allows for true multi tasking.

2. We are webOS & Palms best sales people!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Cool.....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  4.    #4  
    It is cool. I cannot wait to see what the PalmPad is like! Take care, Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    There have come reports of HP to soon adding 500 more apps to Pal App Catalog For webOS smartphones.

There is not yet known as what kind of these 500 apps are.

Breakdown as follows:

176 Fart apps
    107 tip calculators
    58 Indian recipes
    73 flash cards
    86 Real Estate apps

Enjoy!
    you forgot some games.
    so what sort of apps is everyone expecting then?

%PDK to SDK apps, if any.
    will they be mostly games, productivity, office automation, social networking or any other genre?

i really have no idea what to expect.
  8.    #8  
    Hi all,

In a way, I don't care what apps they are, as long as they apps, ...every time the press reports about Palm & webOS they say the following:

"less than 3,000 apps"..then they say "Apple has more than 225,000 apps"....this scares people away...we have to get not just great apps, we also need a lot of apps.

Above I said, "in away I don't care about what the apps are", however, I do care about quality of apps...but our app count is so low...much too low, that people lose interest in Palm & webOS. Therefore, we need quality and we need volume.

Take care,

Jay
    "quantity has a quality of it's very own"

forgot the source of that quote but it seems apt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    "less than 3,000 apps"..then they say "Apple has more than 225,000 apps"....this scares people away...

...but our app count is so low...much too low, that people lose interest in Palm & webOS. Therefore, we need quality and we need volume.
    I have to wonder about that. At some point, quantity is meaningless. 225,000 or 500,000 makes no difference to me and may even be detrimental. I don't want to wade through a quarter of a million apps to find a decent one.

For example, when you do a Google Search on something and it comes up with 5000 hits, do you really check out all those hits? I usually don't go past the first page.

The same logic applies to an app catalog, at least to me.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Alot of good that is going to do for us non-1.4.5 verizon users.
    DaVince >IIIxe > Visor Platinum+visorphone > Clie-SJ33 > Tungsten T3>Palm TX>LifeDrive(Flash)>Treo 650>Treo 700p>PalmPrePlus2.1
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I have to wonder about that. At some point, quantity is meaningless. 225,000 or 500,000 makes no difference to me and may even be detrimental. I don't want to wade through a quarter of a million apps to find a decent one.

For example, when you do a Google Search on something and it comes up with 5000 hits, do you really check out all those hits? I usually don't go past the first page.

The same logic applies to an app catalog, at least to me.
    Hi,

I agree, however, the press just throws out numbers and people blindly follow. A number of people I know who have Iphone's, are not crazy about AT&T or Apple. However they are concerned about switching to Palm, due to not enough available content! The press keeps saying ONLY xxxxx available for Palm webOS...we need to get rid of the word "only", in that string of words!

Take care,

jay