1.    #1  
    Would this have been the Holy Grail?

With the new explosion of android in the marketplace, would either's purchase of Palm had given us the best of both worlds - WEB OS multitasking and cards incorporated into android and it's proliferation of apps and hardware. Instead we're tied to a HP with limited to no presence in the smartphone market and only rumors of future smartphones.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Cool story bro
    +1 Excellent story.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    in the same boat waiting .
    Both would have likely been the end for palm. HTC, while having a lot of success recently, is not large enough to start making billion dollar acquisitions, and google would have only been interested in the ip. Android will probably have some sort of similar multitasking system by 3.0 anyways.
    Had HTC bought Palm we'd be in the same boat, they'd have plans to have webos exclusively.

Had Google bought Palm, it would've been for the patent porfolio and would've gotten rid of WebOS altogether.

It's not like if Microsoft bought Apple you'd then have a Non-crashing slick Windows. The two OS' aren't going to magically become one.

And there's really nothing holding back HTC or Google from making a Card-like multitasking experience anyway.

HP is probably the best company to buy Palm and the only one who wouldn't have made WebOS the sacrifical lamb of mobile OS'.
    if HTC bought palm we'd never see a new webOS phone. There's a good chance we'll see something by years end w/ HP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    if HTC bought palm we'd never see a new webOS phone. There's a good chance we'll see something by years end w/ HP
    I agree. They would have banked the patents and scrapped everything else.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I think Google would have done the same thing, not only for the IP but to get rid of a competitor. I remember Apple being passively interested, probably for the same reasons, on top of more leverage to sue folks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    google definitely would have done the same thing. They're busy investing in android. And HTC sleeps around with too many OS's to shift focus onto their own. It was best to go w/ someone who is interested in doing their own thing in the smartphone market.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Would this have been the Holy Grail?

With the new explosion of android in the marketplace, would either's purchase of Palm had given us the best of both worlds - WEB OS multitasking and cards incorporated into android and it's proliferation of apps and hardware. Instead we're tied to a HP with limited to no presence in the smartphone market and only rumors of future smartphones.
    I agree completely. I was just wondering what would've happened if Apple bought Palm. HP bought Palm exclusively for its software. WebOS will be on computers but it will probably be used as a cleaner way to jump between windows in Windows.
    I don't think Google would've done much with WebOS.
    Both would have been purchases exclusively for IP.

Elements of WebOS (mostly the UI, probably) would be incorporated into Android/Sense, but otherwise, Palm and everything about it would disappear.

More competition and choices is almost always better for the consumer.