1.    #1  
    So I was thinking what if H/Palm made an official patch section in the app catalog or a separate official patch program similar to Preware, could they leverage that as an advantage of webOS?

I think patching on webOS is very similar concept to browser extensions. Look at for example Firefox and Chome's extension service. I think this one of the things that people really like about these browsers. I know its what got me to move away from IE.

This way H/Palm can provide a very light weight mobile OS that each user can tailor to their own needs. H/Palm can provide many of the patches and like apps third party devs can also submit patches for inclusion into the catalog. If you look through the forums here on P|C you will see how diverse the needs of people are when it comes to even what they want out of the stock apps on webOS. What I may need from my calendar app, someone else may not need so why should they lose system resources on their phone for that feature.

I really think that if H/Palm, as they seem to be, unofficially support homebrew, why not support officially and spin it as a feature that no other mobile OS provides yet. If H/Palm works with the guys/gals at webos-internals they would already have a running start at this.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think of this idea?
    Have it your way?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Have it your way?
    Would that be the slogan? :-) H/Palm the Burger King of smartphones.
    I think it is a great idea! Offering sanctioned Patches as part of the App catalog would enhance the user experience. They may also incorporate some of the more popular patches into WebOS 2.0 as toggles that allow people to customize the look and feel of their phones.
    While Palm and HP are at it, they could also offer a Themes section in the catalog and allow people to download themes some of the more advanced themes could be paid themes.
    The more Palm and HP support open source, the more mileage they can get out of advertising the flexibility and customization to the phones.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    yes, outstanding. They would just have to develop a mechanism for patxhes not to conflict with each other. I also think they should have an official app for themes, like chrome and windiw7 does.

people really like being able to apply themes, and that's a major complaint among iphone users.

excellent OP.
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    +1

I took a business trip to our office on the West Coast. One of my co-workers expressed his dislike for his Pre. I was flabbergasted. So, I asked if he had installed any patches. He never heard of the homebrew community so I helped him get started. One day, 17 patches, and a bunch of homebrew apps, he was like a kid in a candy shop and couldn't stop raving about his Pre.

I think that preware should be in the app store!

Gary
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    "Finally, the phone is personal again", I think this would be a great slogan for them!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    yes, outstanding. They would just have to develop a mechanism for patxhes not to conflict with each other. I also think they should have an official app for themes, like chrome and windiw7 does.

people really like being able to apply themes, and that's a major complaint among iphone users.

excellent OP.
    They could easily incorporate a method in the catalog that if you already have downloaded a particular patch it will not allow you to download a patch known to conflict with each other.