Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    don't be hard on jonathan, he has an official role at PC that has to be considered.

but jonathan - what up? An update would be appreciated.
    I'm sorry I was harsh, but it's somewhat frustrating when we can't get anything from our own community members, let alone the big guys (Palm, Verizon, etc).

Verizon WANTS you to stay silent, but really, this is an issue we need front and center, out in the open, so that we know what we're dealing with. The community needs to call the shots, not Verizon.
    Well today we find out if this was worth anything... I hope we get to congratulate Jonathan come midnight!
    Why today?
    1.4.5 comes out today for VZW.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    1.4.5 comes out today for VZW.
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    I thought that was a week or two away...
    http://www.precentral.net/webos-145-...es-later-today

Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    I thought that was a week or two away...
    I just saw that...thanks
    We need to get the ReleaseMyPre dude to also get a twitter bomb going for the Verizon GPS issue.

I dont know if it was just coincidence, but it surely worked for the 1.4.5 update.
    Jonathan... The Verizon Pre community is in your debt. I am deeply sorry I ever doubted you. Thank you, Sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Jonathan... The Verizon Pre community is in your debt. I am deeply sorry I ever doubted you. Thank you, Sir!
    ...for the update???
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    So we got 1.4.5...so is AT&T. Unless the GPS is fixed, I wouldn't be organizing the surprise party just yet...
  14.    #114  
    Don't thank me yet. My cause was the GPS, and it's *not* fixed. Appalling details shortly. Stay tuned. {Jonathan}
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Don't thank me yet. My cause was the GPS, and it's *not* fixed. Appalling details shortly. Stay tuned. {Jonathan}
    ...thats more like it...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Read the details here: http://www.precentral.net/verizon-wi...at-gps-issue-0

Sorry guys, Jonathan tried his best, but they are being all Verizon-y and stuff.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  17. ght
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Well, HP's plea to developers to write apps for webOS will certainly take a hit, as location-based apps will not work properly on Verizon, and it sounds like they intend to close the "launch/decline VZnav" loophole, which means they won't work at all, let alone properly.

James, any thoughts on GPS APIs being supplied from VZW? Do you think your patch will still work if they "close the loophole"?
    This issue will destroy webOS on Big Red which will in turn hurt webOS everywhere. Just think, all that new hardware R. Sood is all excited about will have the same deliberate sabotage effectivly making any app that uses the GPS usless. Ya, VZW "might" release an API which will help fix the issue, but will they really do that? Will it work correctly?

To do this kind of underhanded stuff to your customers is one thing but to (effectively) deny it's going on for so long and not tell your customers about it before a sale is made is another. Boy this has me worked up and I'm not even a VZW customer.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    This issue will destroy webOS on Big Red which will in turn hurt webOS everywhere. Just think, all that new hardware R. Sood is all excited about will have the same deliberate sabotage effectivly making any app that uses the GPS usless. Ya, VZW "might" release an API which will help fix the issue, but will they really do that? Will it work correctly?

To do this kind of underhanded stuff to your customers is one thing but to (effectively) deny it's going on for so long and not tell your customers about it before a sale is made is another. Boy this has me worked up and I'm not even a VZW customer.
    it'll be out when Verizon launches the NFL app for webOS
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    James, any thoughts on GPS APIs being supplied from VZW? Do you think your patch will still work if they "close the loophole"?
    If they close the "loophole" as promised, that will cripple any attempts at solving this without the need for VZ Navigator. Looks like if you want good GPS, you'll have to fork out $10 a month. But that is not even guaranteed for 3rd party apps.

I guess more people want free Mobile Hotspot than free GPS. o_O

Yes, GPS Fix will break at some point in the future. I shall continue working, but I can make no promises. If the validation is server side, then trying to crack it would be illegal even with the "relaxed" restrictions on the jailbreaking/homebrew front.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast