Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    As to why?
    I sit in airports...a lot...need . entertainment . now!
    Quote Originally Posted by zentraed View Post
    There's an iPad app that in the past people have successfully moved to jailbroken iPhones. There's also been talk of an iPhone app coming soon. Silverlight-based Windows 7 Phone will also be getting a Netflix app. RAM isn't the limiting factor (think about all the televisions and blu-ray players with built-in Netflix support)
    Yeah it was the Silverlight issue I wondered about. The Pre can stream, so streaming movies obviously isn't the issue. But with 3G supposedly everywhere, I still have yet to find any locations I can get a decent signal enough to actually watch Coverage is losing the battle to foliage, LOL
    I stream movies from megaupload all the time. So ram isn't the issue.
    If you like my Boot Screens, please donate. Thanks!
    Megavideo works on the Pre??
    So as we've all heard, today they released an iOS app for netflix streaming. I'm assuming this would be a pretty easy port in PDK? If so, can it be done via homebrew, or do we still have to wait for the official app?
    I tested out a few minutes of Futurama on the iPhone 4 this morning. It looks great on the Retina display. The image quality was subjectively, even better than on the iPad.

Netflix wants to be everywhere, so I can't imagine that they want try to port the app to a Pre near you. If they have to write the app from scratch, that may take a while, as companies do not seem to be interested in writing native apps for the Pre in its current iteration.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    How in the world can you possibly enjoy watching a movie on a phone screen (especially a Palm Pre)?

I am amazed that people would want to do that.

ha
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    To stream NF movies, you have to have 1G of RAM and the Pre is not quite equipped.
    Wit for the Windows 7 Phone and stream in silverlight
    Quote Originally Posted by zentraed View Post
    There's an iPad app that in the past people have successfully moved to jailbroken iPhones. There's also been talk of an iPhone app coming soon. Silverlight-based Windows 7 Phone will also be getting a Netflix app. RAM isn't the limiting factor (think about all the televisions and blu-ray players with built-in Netflix support)
    yup, the Windows 7 Phone will have it!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    How in the world can you possibly enjoy watching a movie on a phone screen...
    My wife just left for the DMV. I didn't offer her my iPad. All she has is her iPhone 4. She could easily pass the time with a Netflix movie or TV show while she waits, and still have plenty of battery for the rest of the day. For it to be useful, it need not be your first choice, even on a Pre.

By the way, I hardly see the differences between watching a movie for an hour and a half and playing a game for the same length of time on a small screen. Additionally, with Netflix, you can watch for five or ten minutes, then pick up where you left off when you get to the computer or TV.

Your comment sounds a little more like, "Netflix on a phone a stupid since I can't have it yet." I used to think that anything besides making a phone call was stupid on a phone until the right phone came out to prove me wrong. Once you have it, I think you will see the utility of it.
    I've always been disheartened by Palm's inability to be on the leading edge of anything instead of the being in the "Oh yeah, lets make it possible for those Palm users too - now that we've gotten everyone else up to speed on our (insert thingy here).

I've had Palm devices forever (15-20 years?) and I've left Palm several times out of frustration -only to come back again. Why? Because a good Palm app is always much better than anyone elses. Now that WebOS is out there and in HPs hands I believe that "disheartened" will be a term I no longer use - at least in a year or two -HA.

As to Netflix on the Pre (WebOS generally) it absolutely needs to happen and will once HP starts hitting the market with WebOS products.

As to watching movies on a Pre or any other phone I say size is relative and your brain adapts very quickly - to the point you don't even notice the screen size.

As a frequent flyer (3 cities/week, 48 weeks/yr on average) I have been watching movies on my phone for a long time - starting with my 1st Treo. It's frankly perfect for the tray table on a plane (with a wired headset of course).

-end of ramble....
    while I don't use NetFlix, I have watched plenty of live ESPN while waiting. Especially a couple of weeks ago when my wife went into a store for "about 10 minutes" and she didn't reappear for over an hour. Watched live college FB on my Pre for over an hour. Quality was great!

so, streaming on Pre = marriage saver???
    I would LOVE to be able to watch Netflix on my Pre! I would definitely pay for a Netflix app.

Eric
    Don't forget that it's Netflix who doesn't make the app for webOS. Maybe it's Netflix people who you must complain.

It's like Spotify... WebOS is the perfect platform for easily develop an app like these, but they don't do it. Why? Ask them. Complains? Complain to them, or stop using their services, and let them know that it's because they're not supporting webOS.

[i]--Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Newness Developments apps:

I hope that someone can figure out how to get the desktop streaming for netflix to be able to stream to the Palm Pre/Pixi

-Thanks
    PSN:KlutchScope
    Xbox Gamertag:KlutchScope
    Follow me on Twitter
    AT&T|Palm Pre Plus

"Fact, bears, beets, BattleStar Galactica."- From "The Office", Jim impersonating Dwight
    ....up to netflix....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    <<multiple threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by furygoalbrtis39 View Post
    I hope that someone can figure out how to get the desktop streaming for netflix to be able to stream to the Palm Pre/Pixi

-Thanks

Head to the PlayOn forums and add your support for them to make a webOS client. It's not as great a solution as Netflix making their own direct client but it could work for you if you're willing to stream in to a running PC then stream out to your phone.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    It is frustrating that my grade school daughter can stream movies and TV shows on my NetFlix account to her iPod Touch, and I can't to my Pre. I keep telling her how much better the Pre is when she asks why I don't have an iPhone yet. And then shows me the stuff that I can't get on my Pre. I keep telling her it's coming. Even I am starting to question when..... I too have been a palm user since before she was born... So, why am I still waiting...???
    There must be a different version of streamable movies on the USA version of Netflix. I'm still in my first month free trial in Canada and to be honest, aside from a small handful of movies, almost 80% of the movies I looked at, I couldn't recognize any actors. A supurb collection of B rated movies at best. Maybe it's totally different down there, but I'm not going to renew my subscription that's for sure.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast