1.    #1  
    I'm somewhat overwhelmed by all the different available kernels. Is there any kind of comparison guide available? I'm not scared of alpha/beta kernels or fiddling with things but still I can't quite figure out which kernels are worth trying.

Excuse me if this is a stupid question.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    I can't speak for all the different ones available, but it seems the most commonly recommended one is UberKernel along with Govnah for controlling the CPU speed. I use that, and have found it to be utterly painless to install and speeds things up nicely using the "Screenstate" setting through govnah.
    safest is uberkernel as it is considered so by WebOS Internals...
  4.    #4  
    I figured that much. I'm running UK at the moment.
    However I'm still trying to figure out why there are so many different experimental branches.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I'm somewhat overwhelmed by all the different available kernels. Is there any kind of comparison guide available? I'm not scared of alpha/beta kernels or fiddling with things but still I can't quite figure out which kernels are worth trying.
    I would love to see a comparison too. With the recent publishing of 2 kernels for the Pre that are "stable" (UberKernal and the Delta Dagger - F102A), I'd love to know the benefits and specs of all.

Maybe some things like
    • CPU operating speeds
    • Compcache available
    • Screenstate available
    • Temperature enabled
    • Rate of updates to kernal
    • Some measure of stability, somehow
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    I figured that much. I'm running UK at the moment.
    However I'm still trying to figure out why there are so many different experimental branches.
    The others are "experimental" regarding different aspects of the effort.

Somewhere in the UberKernel or WebOS Internals section there is a detailed write up on this, comparing the different kernels, and why the safe route is UberKernel because they roll things in to there when they are deemed safe enough for the adventurous. The other stuff is only for the adrenalin junky.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Um, why don't you read the specific threads out there for each kernel? It would be much more informative than just a simple comparison guide and much less prone to encouraging the average user to install them without being fully advised as to the alpha nature of the kernels. But yeah, it has been stated the experimental kernels are used to test features that will eventually make it into Uberkernel and that they all use the same code. The difference with F102A compared to Uberkernel is that it doesn't have quite as much extra stuff in it (it does not use Govnah, you see), but that the performance should pretty much be identical
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM