1.    #1  
    My Pre has died last night, and WebOS doctor, the one time I want it to work, it can't. It gets stuck at 8% no matter what, and will not progress. I talked to the people at Palm, and they claim it is a hardware failure. As I understand, at 9%, the "Palm" logo is supposed to change to a picture of an integrated circuit, but mine doesn't.

I love my Pre.

I would try that "last resort" thing that is advertised on webos-internals, but my Linux machine can't detect my Pre for some reason, and it's a little too complicated for me. Can anyone help me decipher it?

I should be getting a new Pre on Tuesday from Sprint, but I'd like to salvage my phone if possible.
    Sounds like it's a hardware failure - at which point you wouldn't be able to do anything with it. webOS Doctor will only work if your hardware works. Sorry for your loss.
    If the device is in "Recovery Mode" Using the webOS Doctor, and it stop at 8% then it can be one or two things wrong.

As mention above by pre-fan.. Hardware failure, or your palm profile for some reason is not recognize by webos doctor. What you could try doing is - create a dummy profile, and sign onto it then put phone back in recovery mode, and proceed with doing a webos doctoring.

That should work, if not.. Replace the device.

Good Luck.