Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Or will it only be designed for the roadrunner?
    Last edited by double1; 08/21/2010 at 11:16 AM.
    Will web os 2.0 run on original pre?
    yes...
    There is, of course, no official news about this, but from random Palm statements about their future update paths, it looks like webOS 2.0 will come for 1st-Gen webOS devices, with the obvious possible exception of services and features specific to 2nd-Gen hardware... no amount of webOS 4.0 is going to give a Pre a magnetometer, for example.

More interesting is the question whether old Pres and Pixis will get webOS 3.0 in late 2011
    I guess... for now all available update(s) would be for our current phone, as for new phone(s) that's another thing.
    Yes, all future updates to WebOS should work on older devices - If future hardware enhancements are incorporated (compass for example) that feature will only work on the newer phones.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Come on, people.

The correct answer to this is "absolutely no one (possibly not even HP) knows."

The answers above are just hope; not even informed guesses.
    I have no idea.

My best guess is "yes." This is because the 1st screencaps of the webOS 2.0 on that statistics program was being run on 320x480.

This is of course assuming they were running it on a Pre 1, everything went well with how the hardware handled the software, the stats weren't faked etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Come on, people.

So what else could we assume. It is what it is.
    yes, but on fewer open cards. doh!
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Looks like the majority is yes.
    Mostly because there is next to no reason it wouldn't be
    I think it's a pretty easy guess that the upgrade will be pushed to the originals, at least the Pre/Pre+ phones. The smart phone market is expecting this. Thankfully the manufacturers are playing along, instead of sticking to the old one-phone-one-OS model that required users to upgrade hardware in order to get better software.

Look at what the Droids and iPhones are getting. Expect the same. I can't imagine Palm being foolish enough to abandon the immediate past generation of phones when they put out an upgrade. It sends the wrong message to customers, that if they buy your product, they're stuck with its current capabilities.

That said, I don't see any of the manufacturers allowing upgrades to be available through official channels for phones that don't have the power to support that OS, because of the tarnished reputation the brand would develop. Any example of a poorly performing OS casts the OS in a bad light, regardless of circumstance. So two generations back might be too far.

One caveat -- Palm did just over a year ago leave Palm OS behind, and didn't package a "classic" emulator with its new phones. There are good reasons to do what they did, but probably more bad ones. It does show Palm is capable of abandoning its last-generation hardware.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I am 99% sure that the answer is yes. Some features may not work on the old hardware potentially though.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Come on, people.

yes we know.. I'm willing to bet, and give you two to one odds.

palm has listed a bunch software updates that are coming in fall for current devices, and said webos 2.0 is coming in fall.

and "not even informed guesses". Are you kidding me? Have you seen android, iphone, blackberry, symbien, etc...
    I think it will run on current webOS devices. It would be bad business for it not to.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    And Palm certainly never makes bad business decisions....

Seriously, it might. Or if the upgrade is THAT good, it might need much better guts.
    We don't know.
    Obviously you haven't added the word "scale" to your vocabulary. HP-Palm's tagline: "scale, Scale, SCALE!"

WebOS is meant to be scaled across a variety of platforms and devices and handle various resolutions of different forms, so absolutely. The original Pre is not meant to be left in the dust like other platforms. WebOS 2.0 is expected to bring improvements to actually make WebOS work BETTER on our first generation Pre phones. Faster database solution, hopefully better memory management with the complete transition of the background Java services to completely Javascript, as well as better GPU utilization on the overall OS.
    Maybe the pre plus but who knows about the pre.. But who will keep there original pre once new hardware is out? I'm not.
    Oops:

Dig out the Developer Day coverage, people. Ben and Dion outright said that "a webOS update" that was due "by fall" would bring GPU acceleration for UI animations and other assorted morsels to existing webOS devices.

When they said that, everybody was speculating whether that could mean 1.5 was on the horizon, but everything points to a direct jump to 2.0 at this point
    Hope it does...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast