Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dietrichmd View Post
    depends on which flavor of android you use i believe. i wanna say 2.1 and above do, but don't quote me on it
    Every version of Android (at least back to 1.5 I'm positive of) supports the w3 geolocation API. The same with the iPhone/iPod, however they have places built into the native app.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Every version of Android (at least back to 1.5 I'm positive of) supports the w3 geolocation API. The same with the iPhone/iPod, however they have places built into the native app.
    I hope the webOS facebook developers heard you.
    can you use the iPhone's web browser (not app) to access the touch.facebook.com places feature? that would tell you how in love FB is with Apple or whether the html5 feature is just not ready for prime-time viewing.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    can you use the iPhone's web browser (not app) to access the touch.facebook.com places feature? that would tell you how in love FB is with Apple or whether the html5 feature is just not ready for prime-time viewing.
    Yes, you can use touch.facebook.com using the iPhone, iPod or iPads browser but that has nothing to do with Facebook loving Apple. The w3 geolocation API is the only method for accurately retrieving a phones location via the browser. This stands true for any browser (mobile or desktop) that supports the API.

Facebook has an official iPhone app which was just updated last night with the new Places feature. It's a really really nice app. You develop for the masses, with that said, let me show you something.

This is how many users have installed the Facebook for iPhone application:

Yes, you read that correct. Almost 100 million users actively use the Facebook for iPhone app.

Now, here's the Palm for WebOS app:

2.3 million. Not too bad, but in comparison to almost 100 million...

While I'm at it, we'll go ahead and check out Android's Facebook app stats:

11.5 million users.
    Last edited by barkerja; 08/19/2010 at 02:36 PM.
    So once again Webos is left out !
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    So once again Webos is left out !
    WebOS is not being left out as much as it's leaving itself out. Palm needs to get on the stick and adopt HTML5 compliant standards like W3geolocation. I'm sick of not being able to use the browser to find nearby flickr photos or geotag my tweets or do a location specific Google search. WebOS is too small to expect companies to go out of their way to develop for them, but there's no excuse for Palm to not be able to take advantage of html5-compliant roll-outs.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    To pour salt in our wounds, the new touch.facebook.com is rolled out, even to our phones. We have a blank space where a tab for "Places" is supposed to be.
    you can go to Welcome to Facebook | Facebook and see where your friends have checked in. But you will not be able to check in. It will even popup and give you a message if you try.
    Hey folks,
    From an earlier post I got curious and tried it in Chrome. I could at least get the 'Places' tab and 'allow' it to see my location, but i couldn't post where i am. Weird.
    I went to the same URL (touch.../places.php) in my Pre and got the same message mentioned above about geolocation.

A net search confirms what's been alluded to above--
    Per code.google.com The phone supports geolocation but the browser doesn't.
    "webOS Application Platform
    The webOS application platform is now supported by the framework. You need to put the geo.jsjsjs $in$ $your$ $application$ $folder$ $and$ $include$ $it$ $in$ $the$ $main$ $index$.$html$ $file$. $All$ $w3c$ $position$ $opyions$ $are$ $supported$. $Note$: $It$ $only$ $works$ $in$ $applications$, $not$ $in$ $a$ $regular$ $browser$ $session$.&$quot$;

* developer.palm.com/distribution/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5871 -- When will geolocation be available in the browser?
    * developer.palm.com/distribution/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7045 -- "Geolocation API in the Browser application" - says it was a promised feature during the Developer Day.

So I wonder, so if the whole of WebOS supports geolocation, can't someone just make an app to use it real easily? Hopefully Palm will add this to our native FB app and we'll be all the less troubled. I'm sure they'll be receiving a lot of requests for this.. ohh, like.. now.

-Ajay
  10.    #30  
    yeah, i posted a patch request already for it......
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12