1.    #1  
    If you accidentally dial 911, can they tell your actual location if you you set you phone not to be discoverable??
    I don't believe you can disable the GPS for 911 calls. Most cell phones have a setting for 'location', or '911 only'. Take Care
    Yes, we know where you are!!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknight07607 View Post
    If you accidentally dial 911, can they tell your actual location if you you set you phone not to be discoverable??
    Yes, this is so it knows which 911 call center to route you to. If you live in Denver and have a 303 phone number, but you call 911 from downtown Chicago, you want the call routed to the 911 center in Chicago.

It's not so they can find you, it's so the phone system can properly route the call.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Yes, this is so it knows which 911 call center to route you to. If you live in Denver and have a 303 phone number, but you call 911 from downtown Chicago, you want the call routed to the 911 center in Chicago.

It's not so they can find you, it's so the phone system can properly route the call.
    That was my other question.

If my phone has one area code, and I'm in a different area, can they find me if an emergency comes up
    Yes, they can, but not with that much precision unless they decide to utilize triangulation techniques.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknight07607 View Post
    That was my other question.

If my phone has one area code, and I'm in a different area, can they find me if an emergency comes up
    Triangulation gets them to about 1500 meters of your location... there is actually a wikipedia article somewhere that explains that. But the thing to remember is that this is specifically mandated to properly route your 911 call to the correct call center, rather than just assuming that you are using your cell phone from your driveway. Even within some area codes you could have multiple 911 call centers, especially where they use "overlay codes" like D/FW area.

They can certainly figure out an approximate location, but they would probably have to call the phone company to do it. The coordinates are not routed to the call center. The call is routed to them just like any other call.
    Actually it works much better than that. We can get pretty good precision, and if you happen to be moving we can send a rebid to the system to get a location update. And this all happens with 5 seconds of receiving your phone call, not 6 minutes.

Phase II E911 rules require wireless service providers to:

within six minutes of a valid request by a PSAP, provide more precise location information to PSAPs; specifically, the latitude and longitude of the caller. This information must be accurate to within 50 to 300 meters depending on the type of technology used.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    ^^ Interesting. Recently got into a situation where I had to place a 911 call while moving very rapidly. They were not able to locate me - I was in a very populated area with full signal strength on VZW. Luckily, I located officers at the scene of a road accident myself. But 911 was no help as far as finding my location by cell. Perhaps it's due to the VZW Pre+ GPS issues?
    Could be the dispatch center where you were/are has not yet upgraded their system to be Phase 2 compliant, or the person you were talking to simply doesn't know how to use the software.
    I am a full time FireFighter in Rochester NY and we have had a few calls for persons needing medical assistance on cell phones and were unable to give or speak their location. Most of the time the Dispatcher gets us within 100 feet of the phone.

One time we were called to a women down that was gasping and moaning. She never spoke. It was around 3:00am and we knocked or 4 different houses to find her. We then walked to the back of this house and I saw through the back window to the front of the house her on the floor. I yelled to the crew "get out of the way" You guessed it. I literally ran through the door. Our rookies eyes almost popped out of his head. She is fine now.
    So yes it does work with good to very good results.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    I'm a full time police dispatcher (23 years), and have family in Rochester, NY. What a coincidence, hahaha.
    Wow, can't believe I made this my 4,000th post, what an uneventful post. A moment of silence please.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I'm a full time police dispatcher (23 years), and have family in Rochester, NY. What a coincidence, hahaha.
    Wow, can't believe I made this my 4,000th post, what an uneventful post. A moment of silence please.
    Small world.... as we know. And I bow to you during this moment.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Haha, thanks. Spent many summer vacations in Rochester, and camping on the Finger Lakes. That water is cold!
    Hello,
    I wanted to thank you for all of that information. I travel alot and always wondered if I dialed 911 how it would work . Good to know I would be able to be located if I was not sure where I was.

Thanks,
    Cheeseman