1.    #1  
    I'd first like to say that I am COMPLETELY anti-apple, and love webOS with every fiber of my being. I've never owned a Mac, ipod, iphone, ipad, nor installed itunes or quicktime, and never plan to. With that said, I listen to the precentral and webos roundup podcasts and hear that webOS is so much better at multi-tasking than iOS or Android. With Android, it's obvious that multitasking is better on webOS except maybe on the Evo and possibly a few others. Even though they can have multiple tabs open in the browser. As for iOS, multi-tasking seems pretty good. I looked at it on one of my friends' iPhone 4 and it seemed to have a lot of apps open. I don't know what it's like on the 3Gs, but I imagine it's about the same. I don't rly see how webOS multi-tasks so much better than iOS, especially with the memory leaks, though I use uberkernal... Is there something I'm missing that makes webOS such a better multi-tasker than iOS?
    iOS only does multitasking for a limited number of Apple services:-

Background audio, Voice over IP, Background location, Push notifications,
    Local notifications, Task finishing, Fast app switching.

Many would argue that this isn't really multitasking as it's only Apple code that is allowed to run in the background. I presume this means that webOS devs can do lots of clever things that iOS devs cant. However iOS devs have a much richer set of API's, a compass and now a gyro, so there is probably even more that they can do that webOS developers cant do currently.

I've never really played with the iPhone for any length of time, but to me it doesn't seem very elegant.
    there's multiple threads about this topic do a search and you will find your answer..
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post

Many would argue that this isn't really multitasking as it's only Apple code that is allowed to run in the background. I presume this means that webOS devs can do lots of clever things that iOS devs cant. However iOS devs have a much richer set of API's, a compass and now a gyro, so there is probably even more that they can do that webOS developers cant do currently.

I've never really played with the iPhone for any length of time, but to me it doesn't seem very elegant.
    You nailed it in your last sentence when you said it doesn't seem very "elegant"... WebOS=elegant Apple is close...just not close emough. Android is imho not very elegant at all. Not to mention all the variances on the UI whether via fragmentation or UI that Samsung or HTC (sense) adds...iOS is in many ways elegant....just not as elegant as WebOS imho.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post

Nailed it. I couldn't have said it better myself. Let me add that iOS also has Xcode, which just knocks all the other dev tools out of the park. Especially the currently-in-developer-beta-and-under-NDA Xcode 4- I love Ares and all, but Palm just doesn't have the resources to make a developer tool as useful and well thought out as Xcode 4. Of course, the app store approval process and it's hurdles and many flaws are another story. I wouldn't say iOS is inelegant though- it's pretty elegant and simple, though not as much as webOS IMO. And I'm not even going to compare iOS and webOS to Android in terms of elegance...

That said, why are you "completely anti-apple?" You don't sound completely anti apple, and that's a good thing. You sound more open minded. I like that. Let's face it, webOS has a lot of Apple influence and design cues. Ruby worked at Apple for a decade, and he was the father of the iPod. If it weren't for Apple, we'd probably still be using BlackBerrys and Centros.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Shameless plug: For more of my thoughts, ideas, sarcastic remarks, and other things you're probably better off not not thinking about, follow me on Twitter