Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. #21  
    We have been through unpleasant sufferable punishment, don't you think we have suffer a lot. We should be the first in line, if there should be any exclusiveness. (i.e. 8GB - 256 Ram - Too many cards error.

    (Sprint)
  2. #22  
    first of all HP doesnt and prob wont do a carrier exclusive, they dont need to they have money to market both on both carriers with months of each other. I'm on sprint and AT&T, and believe (not just with rumors but my insiders) say that it will launch on sprint first then Verizon, but very close to each other. To me which would be a good idea, even though yes Verizon did Palm dirty with how they handled the launch of the plus versions. Though they know AT&T right now would be a better choice with sprint as well, due to how many subscribers each carrier picked up. Lets get this out of the way too Sprint still sold over 2million pre's alone, and as well (as I confermed personlly) sprint has no issue at all with Palm, infact look forward to doing buisness with Palm in the future(i posted the direct response on the palm c40 news a couple of months back). To me sprint is on the rise right now with their 4G service, and would have a great addition adding a new Webos device to complement the 1 or 2 million old pre subscribers a chance to upgrade. I also dont think its a bad idea to launch on verizon, though with the onslaught of high marketing droids in their lineup (droid x, droid 2, drod pro soon etc) I dont think if HP launches with Verizon they expect a whole lot of sales initally, but more to just getting the device out to as many people as possiable. I then think AT&T will follow soon after a sprint and verizon launch.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by imgreenlantern2 View Post
    I was just reading the article Dieter posted on the Palm Pre 2 rumors, and half of the posts where Sprint <users> saying, "This better come out on sprint first or I'm going to be unhappy!"

    Well, how angry are you going to be win Palm goes out of business completely because they screwed the pooch twice in a row?

    I know you Sprint <users> want a new phone, but you have got to understand the definition of insane.

    "Do the same thing and expect different results". If Palm really thinks they can go Sprint exclusive again and be successful they are more wrong than any company in the world.

    They have to go with someone else...Verizon is a good choice.
    When HP goes out of business "so goes the country". Or was that when GM goes out of business.... anyway, it was true then and now Have a nice day!
  4. #24  
    All I know is I'm not breaking a contract (and paying the early termination fee) just to go to Verizon to stay with WebOS. If the goal is to grow WebOS devices, exclusivity is a bad idea unless you just have a jaw-droppingly awesome device...but I don't think there will ever be another iPhone event. I don't think folks will jump ship just to stay with WebOS...not when hundreds of dollars down the drain is the only option. Nobody really wants to switch carriers when there is no real incentive to do so. Sprint's been great for me going on seven years now and until they just really screw me over on service somehow, I'll get an Android device when it's time to upgrade if no new WebOS handset is available through them.
  5. #25  
    Verizon, AT&T and Sprint are the three largest U.S. carriers, so it makes sense for Palm and HP to bring the next generation of Palm smartphones out on all of them as close together as possible. But soon after the U.S. launch, they need to take it around the world. Palm needs to have phones and a complete app store in a global market to re-establish them as a force in the mobile industry.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Verizon, AT&T and Sprint are the three largest U.S. carriers, so it makes sense for Palm and HP to bring the next generation of Palm smartphones out on all of them as close together as possible. But soon after the U.S. launch, they need to take it around the world. Palm needs to have phones and a complete app store in a global market to re-establish them as a force in the mobile industry.
    and this is what I believe they will be doing, HP is not a dumb company at all and they have the resources to do so unlike Palm did. Thats the reason why Palm did a exclusive contract, to try and maximize their efforts, as well as help them manufacture the device in a mass quanity again to be able to be ready for the launch on Verizon. They didnt have the money to make millions of phones, and release them on multiple carriers Hp does and they will do the same prob like samsungs doing with the galaxy x, epic models.
  7. #27  
    +1 they were maximizing their effort by focusing on one carrier, but...Palm also had to prove the viability of webOS before the other carriers would take the phone. Remember that VZW and AT&T weren't carrying a single Palm phone by the time the Pre launched on Sprint.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  8. #28  
    I hate to say it but I think ALL the carriers did a great disservice to Palm and the Pre's.

    Of course in the same tune I think Palm made a mistake with quality. they need to have some poor sap looking over the shoulder of every gosh darn pre made to look for defects (some wouldn't have shown up) not logical but it would have helped.

    If the Pre 2 launches with OS 2.0 with what is missing in 1.4.5 / 1.4.1.1(1.1.1.1.1) and fixes the quality of the device then I think that it'll be a strong hitter in the smart phone field... but if they try to skimp on hardware(cpu/video/camera) then we have to see webos devices in printers and toasters only
    Last edited by Major Payne; 08/17/2010 at 05:01 PM.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I hate to say it but I think ALL the carriers did a great disservice to Palm and the Pre's.

    Of course in the same tune I think Palm made a mistake with quality. they need to have some poor sap looking over the shoulder of every gosh darn pre made to look for defects (some wouldn't have shown up) not logical but it would have helped.

    If the Pre 2 launches with OS 2.0 with what is missing in 1.4.5 / 1.4.1.1(1.1.1.1.1) and fixes the quality of the device then I think that it'll be a strong hitter in the smart phone field... but if they try to skimp on hardware(cpu/video/camera) then we have to see webos devices in printers and toasters only
    What he said (^1,000,...)
  10. #30  
    Ironically, Verizon is headed down the same misguided path as Sprint. Verizon always advertised benefits (it's the network, better 3G coverage, etc) where Sprint focuses on "the Now network" - whatever that means... Part of Sprint's problem is all they ever run are image ads.

    So after VZW kicks AT&T's **** with the "there's a map for that" stuff, they have drifted off into "image" adds with this "Rule the Air" stuff. Nothing to tell me why that would benefit me. Geesh. That's why their Pre ads didn't work.

    AT&T and Apple get this. Verizon+Android used to get it. Sprint never did. I hope HP can pony up the money to advertise effectively and just ignore the image ads that the carriers seem to like so much.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    first of all HP doesnt and prob wont do a carrier exclusive, they dont need to they have money to market both on both carriers with months of each other. I'm on sprint and AT&T, and believe (not just with rumors but my insiders) say that it will launch on sprint first then Verizon, but very close to each other. To me which would be a good idea, even though yes Verizon did Palm dirty with how they handled the launch of the plus versions. Though they know AT&T right now would be a better choice with sprint as well, due to how many subscribers each carrier picked up. Lets get this out of the way too Sprint still sold over 2million pre's alone, and as well (as I confermed personlly) sprint has no issue at all with Palm, infact look forward to doing buisness with Palm in the future(i posted the direct response on the palm c40 news a couple of months back). To me sprint is on the rise right now with their 4G service, and would have a great addition adding a new Webos device to complement the 1 or 2 million old pre subscribers a chance to upgrade. I also dont think its a bad idea to launch on verizon, though with the onslaught of high marketing droids in their lineup (droid x, droid 2, drod pro soon etc) I dont think if HP launches with Verizon they expect a whole lot of sales initally, but more to just getting the device out to as many people as possiable. I then think AT&T will follow soon after a sprint and verizon launch.
    This seems the most logical to me, If there is any exclusivity it will probably be short, but why wouldn't HP want to give existing Sprint Palm fans a chance to upgrade their existing phones. Since all of us can upgrade after only 1 year there are a lot of people available for a new phone and it won't take a lot of convincing from those already using webos.
    As for Verizon I don't believe they have the 1 year upgrade option meaning their are not many existing users who may be willing to fork out for the full cost of a new phone, and marketing to non webos users while necessary won't be as easy as marketing to Sprint elgible upgraders.
  12. anifan's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #32  
    I don't think that the next generation will be exclusive. HP has the resources to market without carrier subsidies and the manpower to create multiple devices (say, a Pre 2, a Slab form Pre, and a Centro Web (what I refer to the poorly named Pixis as)) that could be sold to a variety of carriers.

    Exclusivity will either be short or non-existent (see the Galaxy S series).
  13. #33  
    What Palm absolutely needs to concentrate on is differentiation. Not only with the phone, but with the carrier strategy. Palm cannot afford the Pre successor to be 'just another phone' on only one carrier. Hardly anyone outside of these forums is going to jump carriers because of a new Palm phone. And while I know it'll be absolutely awesome no matter what the carrier, an exclusivity agreement would undoubtedly kill them and the new Pre.
  14. #34  
    If the next generation phone that Palm releases is state of the art and well tested/built then I feel the best thing for all of us webOS lovers is to get as many webOS devices out there as fast as possible and the more carriers releasing the new phone is best way to do this. More devices running webOS means more developers motivated to create and port apps over to webOS.
  15. #35  
    correction, the primary account holder in a vzw account can do an annual upgrade, as long as you sign a new 2 year contract.
  16. #36  
    Sprint is awesome, HPalm sucks. Got tired of waiting and got a HTC Hero pimpin Android 2.1 and could not be happier. Before the flame warriors and haterz who had a first run Hero go crazy, this thing is a whole different ballgame. The new build units being shipped with 2.1 onboard are outstanding. Sporting 2.1 makes it like the Evo's little brother, lol. Very smooth, no lag, and the battery life is off the charts.
    The Saint
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    correction, the primary account holder in a vzw account can do an annual upgrade, as long as you sign a new 2 year contract.
    I was with VZW for over 15 years as the Primary and that was never the case. I switched to Sprint for the Pre and they advise me that I can update at the upgrade rate every year.

    On another note, I don't care if it's released on all carriers at the same time. That would still mean that Sprint customers will have it at least two weeks, before VZW customers. VZW will spend two- four weeks testing it, before they pass it to the customer (similar to the updates).
  18. #38  
    I love these kind of threads. So HP is doomed; doomed I tell you.

    Look, it makes no sense for HP/Palm to go exclusive again. I think that Palm is going to launch their next phone(s) at CES in Jan 2011. A few weeks after that I imagine you'll see a wimax webOS phone show up on Sprint and a LTE/CDMA webOS phone show up on V.

    In May of 2011 I suspect that you'll see a LTE/GSM webOS phone show up on ATT. HP/Palm would be wise to announce a new advertising campaign during CES. I believe that you'll probably hear something about that.

    But its all a guess.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  19. #39  
    Sprint exclusive for 1 month! Then, goes to ATT because they did a much better job at promoting the Palm Pre Plus. Then after 6 months goes on Verizon because they are in bed with Google and they don't seem to give a damn about Palm.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    Sprint is awesome, HPalm sucks. Got tired of waiting and got a HTC Hero pimpin Android 2.1 and could not be happier. Before the flame warriors and haterz who had a first run Hero go crazy, this thing is a whole different ballgame. The new build units being shipped with 2.1 onboard are outstanding. Sporting 2.1 makes it like the Evo's little brother, lol. Very smooth, no lag, and the battery life is off the charts.
    the EXACT opposite.
    sprint, although it doesnt suck..it isnt the best either.
    the combination of hp and palm will be spectular, with time.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions