1.    #1  
    I love my Pre (Same one since day one) and still think the OS is so much smoother than droid and all else.

However, just about everyone I know has moved to the Droid OS and while I like the concept of WebOS better I can't help but feel like I am ages behind when it comes to the support of the device. I've done the Homebrew to gain more apps but at the end of the day it still is a device that has been out more than a year and still has the support of a snail.

Question?
    Do you all ever think this device/WebOS is going to become more interesting to the masses? Not that I care about what other people have but it would be nice to have access to the amount of apps like the Android Market to make my device more customizable. As well as be popular so companies feel the need to have their business be represented with an app (banking, etc..) While there are poor quality apps on every platform I think the App Store for WebOS takes the cake. So many pointless apps in the official store. It's very discouraging when I have to rely on Homebrew apps to have a chance at finding anything worthwhile. Hats off to Homebrew Dev's without them I think this OS would have been done a long time ago.

This isn't a bashing post or an I am leaving thread. Just wanted to see what everyone though of with the progression with WebOS for phones in the future and if it was worth trying to be loyal. I'm going give the Samsung Epic 4g a try on the 31st just to see if I am missing anything. I'll have my Pre on standby just in case.

Thanks for feedback.

Edit: Not a first time poster. I was unable to recover my old account that I used so I created a new one.
    Last edited by Predominate10; 08/16/2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: poster status
    Palm was having $$$ issues due to a bunch of things including, most recently, a poorly executed webOS launch. Then HP bought them and as things usually go in that kind of situation there has been a bit of quite time while the companies merge and a round of quarterly results pass.

IMO - webOS is going to be big. HP wants it to be and they have the power to make it happen. Unless your current webOS device is somehow not doing what you need it to do I would stick around.

<<Thread Renamed and Moved>>
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/16/2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Remember you are asking this on a site that was started because of the Pre ;-).

I think the general consensus you will get from around here is made up of two strings: 1) Of course webOS is coming out on a slew of devices including smartphones, 2) Since it will be coming out, WHEN!?!?!?!

Many have seen my posts lately where I have fallen into the pessimistic camp of wondering if webOS will survive at all, and whether or not there will ever be another webOS smartphone. While it sucks being a pessimist, sometimes it is easier because if webOS does skyrocket back with a wonderful device, then I get to say "wow, was I wrong" (and go off playing with the new device). If webOS fails, I get to say "oh well, didn't think it would".

The honest answer is no one knows but HP, and they ain't talkin' (thus string number 2 above).

But if I have to be honest, I think a new smartphone will come out (hopefully sooner than later), but my biggest concern is time-to-market. Palm had a triple with the Pre, if they could have followed it up with a homerun with better hardware, I think the discussion would be entirely different right now. Now, it is 18+ months since the announcement of the Pre and we have heard nothing from HP. Personally, I think time is running out, HP had better **** or get off the pot.
    As I gaze deep onto my blank Pre Plus Screen – I see a future full of WebOS devices of every shape and size. From three different form factors of smartphones, to WebOS Printers, PalmPads, Toasters and PreDAs to Media Players and WebOS Gaming Consoles, the sky is the limit to HP. Give Palm and HP time to get their arms around each other and you will see WebOSign the likes of which even iGod has never seen!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    all i can say is time is not on their side. webos/palm/hp will not make progress in the market share of smartphones.

too little too late. other than the support here, no major developers will support webos
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    all i can say is time is not on their side. webos/palm/hp will not make progress in the market share of smartphones.

too little too late. other than the support here, no major developers will support webos
    not really, look at android it came when the market was being dominated by apple and RIM. Look at android now. Consumers are fickle and will flock to whatever is new. As long as HPalm makes a bang when it re introduces webOS it will have a chance.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    If you look at all the hype the Blackberry Torch has gotten due to some advertising, this just shows what has been missing from HP/Palm if they want to sell phones.

I swear, all HP/Palm needs to do is take the current Pre Plus, throw in a bigger battery, make 1GHz the standard speed, and then advertise the hell out of it like RIM/Blackberry have done. It would easily double the userbase in three months or less.

Excitement comes from getting HYPE generated so that the average consumer has at least heard of the product. Right now, most people out there have never even heard of the Palm Pre due to the poor advertising.
    I think webOS is a marathon for HP rather than a sprint. It would very much surprise me to see webOS overtake Android or Apple within two years... But it would equally surprise me to NOT see webOS ship with every HP product sporting a screen, from smartphones to desktop computers, within five years.

And then you've got what we call "scale". Imagine how many webOS devices in the wild that would make. Prepare to see the Apple fanatics switch from "we sell better so we are better" mode back to the old "we don't sell as much, so we're better than the mainstream" mentality. That said, I see Android becoming the Windows of the smartphone world - albeit with a smaller lead.
    Brilliant OP. I hadn't thought about this before. Now I'm really wondering...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    not really, look at android it came when the market was being dominated by apple and RIM. Look at android now. Consumers are fickle and will flock to whatever is new. As long as HPalm makes a bang when it re introduces webOS it will have a chance.

You're right in some respects, but the problem is that Palm already pushed webOS into the marketplace and from a pure numbers point of view it is a failure. From that standpoint, HP has to overcome that hurdle first and then surge beyond.

Please note, saying it is a "failure" is not a bash, to those of us who love webOS it certainly was a huge success, I'm just stating from a market share point of view webOS is of little importance.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I think webOS is a marathon for HP rather than a sprint. It would very much surprise me to see webOS overtake Android or Apple within two years...
    To say that webOS would surpass Android and iOS within two years is VERY MUCH a sprint (lowercase "s", not uppercase "S".. ).

webOS does not need to overtake these two to be a huge success, they just have to get significant market share. DIGITIMES is reporting that 55 million Andoird devices will ship in 2010 (Android smartphone shipments to surpass 55 million units worldwide in 2010, says Digitimes Research).

If HPalm could just ship a percentage of that in 2010 and 2011, say 10 - 20 million, I think most would categorize webOS as a success. Current numbers seem to indicate around 5 million(ish) webOS devices out there, a 100 to 200% growth in a year would be amazing.
    Last edited by Mikey47; 08/17/2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    If you look at all the hype the Blackberry Torch has gotten due to some advertising, this just shows what has been missing from HP/Palm if they want to sell phones.

I swear, all HP/Palm needs to do is take the current Pre Plus, throw in a bigger battery, make 1GHz the standard speed, and then advertise the hell out of it like RIM/Blackberry have done. It would easily double the userbase in three months or less.

Excitement comes from getting HYPE generated so that the average consumer has at least heard of the product. Right now, most people out there have never even heard of the Palm Pre due to the poor advertising.
    Torch is already seeing it's price drop to half($99) of it's original $199(can't add link do to my low post count!) due to sluggish sales. A few minor upgrades plus advertising is not going to gain Palm much market share. Palm needs to come with top of the line processor, memory, camera, screen resolution, improved keyboard, etc... and probable webOS 2.0 or not come at all. If Palm was in RIM's position(highest market share smartphone), they could afford a just get closer to what others are doing Torch release. Since they are well behind in market share they need to come with a phone that out specs everyone else... as well as "advertise the hell out it."