Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    So, a good amount of my contacts are done through a csv file that I download a new one of every 3 months or so. This is a directory that changes every so often, and that I need to keep up with. The names are for the most part, couples, and are listed as, for example, John and Jane Doe. That comes up fine if I search for John or Doe, but not Jane. It is much worse when middle names are included. This contact is a good example: Rafael Enrique and Bessie Gutierrez Zirion. The last name here is Zirion. I cannot search for Zirion, nothing will come up. The only names that come up here are Rafael and Gutierrez. That doesn't even make sense to me. Hyphenated names are also a pain, I for example know Rhonda Aichele-Johnson as Rhonda Johnson, but searching Johnson will not return her. Facebook names also seem to be a problem, we take Kharin Gutierrez Andrews for an example here, Andrews will not show any results for her in the search, but that is her legal last name. As you can see, this is something that bothers me quite a bit.

Wot I want to know, is there any way to enable universal search, or at least contact search, to search the entire name field, rather than specific points in the name? That would be SO much more convenient, and much easier to find people! Thanks for help!
    Unfortunately, I guess that's how the phone works. Contact(s) are found by the way you add them in the phone. Universal searching is a different thing. For instance, if you should have a name in your contacts as John Doe, and you type in Jo it will automatically brings up all names, apps that are associated with the letter J. It also brings up last name of that person, once it's in your contacts.

Universal search works only if that name or app is not on the device. That way more info is needed to type in for a search.

Remember, we can't make the phone do what it wasn't made to do.
    open in excel and make the changes, then import.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    open in excel and make the changes, then import.
    good partial advice... helps if you tell 'what' changes
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Universal search works only if that name or app is not on the device. That way more info is needed to type in for a search.
    not quite right, but almost - the concept behind Universal Search is that when you start typing from from the launcher, the device searches ALL of your databases (multiple contact sources, apps, etc) for a match and also allows you to chose a multitude of online locations to search (ie: google, facebook, twitter, bing, etc...). "Universal Search" means it searches your phone and the web universally.

Quote Originally Posted by humulos View Post
    Wot I want to know, is there any way to enable universal search, or at least contact search, to search the entire name field, rather than specific points in the name? That would be SO much more convenient, and much easier to find people! Thanks for help!
    There are work-arounds for these types of names. Universal Search only indexes First and Last name data (or First and Middle if there is a middle name). In cases where there is either a Middle name or a hyphenated last name like "Aichele-Johnson", you can make the last name (and second part of a hyphenated name) search-able by typing that part of the name into the "Company" field of that contact (providing it isn't already filled in with an actual company name). So to make "Johnson" show up in the Universal Search, add 'Johnson' as the company name for that contact. This is really the only work-around I have found for making these types of names search-able. Hopefully, future OS releases will get the indexing of names back to what it was on the Treo's.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    So my only option is to change the csv files? Bummer. I knew that was an option, but for me it is not a reasonable one, since I get a new CSV every three months (plus there are nearly 500 listings on it, a mighty task to take on!) So for now I will wait until either palm fixes the problem, or some kind soul make a patch to fix the problem.

Funny how a company that used to have a fantastic search engine on their devices downgraded it like this... I mean, The new Google/Wiki/Maps/IMDB search options are nice, but its not like I can't do those in other ways. I can't even search my memos! My crappy Zire could search Memos (Yeah, I had a Zire, so wot! I got a TX eventually, lol) Thanks for your input everyone!