1.    #1  
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and obviously this is my first post but I'm a HUGE reader. All I do is read the forums and read the front page on my spare time at work. Anyways I have a final school project (which I hope you guys can help) for my A Plus software class (this is where it gets good)... My teacher wants us to compare 3 Operating Systems in a presentation. He wrote a list of OS' that he wants to see and webOS is in the list. So is Android, Blackberry OS, iOS & WindowsPhone7. My class is full of iPhone users and they always think my Pre is a piece of crap and cannot do anything So I'm planning to compare the following:

webOS vs
    Android vs
    & iOS.

Categories I will be using are: Speed, Multitasking, Browser, Reliability, User Interface, Open Source/Community & Applications. (if there's other categories that I'm missing, let me know )

I used to be an Android user til the Pre launched and will not be looking back. I really do not need much input on Android because I'm very knowledgable on that OS. What I really need is webOS vs iOS in the following categories I inputed. I'd like it to be fair though.

I want to emulate the OS' on virtualbox or w/e program I can use (if you know any that'll be awesome) to show everyone what webOS is all about. Screenshots won't help me much (i think).

If you guys can help me out I'd extremely appreciate it. ANY input will be great. & if this thread has to be moved, that's fine & sorry for posting in the wrong area

(i'll edit if i notice i'm missing anything)

Thanks!
    Danny
    You can use the emulator via WebOS Quick Install I believe.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I wish I was there with you to show them Iphone users.
    buckle up...
    It would be cool if you have a live chat in your classroom with the PalmCast crew and show that as the great community that's backing Palm up.
    I'm glad to see your teacher is openminded, good luck on your project.
    make sure to emphasize on webos notification system, both banner and dashboard notifications. I see you are comparing systems, but im sure you would like to come out with a pro-webos presentation.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    It would be cool if you have a live chat in your classroom with the PalmCast crew and show that as the great community that's backing Palm up.
    That would be real cool! I wish.. That will be an A for sure haha.. The community here is my favorite. Maybe I should give the P|C guys a PM

Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    I wish I was there with you to show them Iphone users.
    lol you have no idea what I go through... Joke is always on me

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    make sure to emphasize on webos notification system, both banner and dashboard notifications. I see you are comparing systems, but im sure you would like to come out with a pro-webos presentation.
    I'll definitely get on the notification system.. I'm not sure how I forgot that one. & yea i would love to come out with a presentation leaning more to webos. I would not mind seeing iOS win...... Okay yea i would but I gotta make this fair. I can't bash iOS the whole presentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by VDubDan View Post
    That would be real cool! I wish.. That will be an A for sure haha.. The community here is my favorite. Maybe I should give the P|C guys a PM

lol you have no idea what I go through... Joke is always on me

I'll definitely get on the notification system.. I'm not sure how I forgot that one. & yea i would love to come out with a presentation leaning more to webos. I would not mind seeing iOS win...... Okay yea i would but I gotta make this fair. I can't bash iOS the whole presentation.
    If it were me, I'd put a lot of concentration and emphasis on the multi-tasking.

Apple still locks most stuff out, they claim it is to prevent device problems and security problems. So, there are only a few things that will let operate in conjunction with and at the same time as other things are running. Thus to do most stuff, you have to close one app in order to use another. This means that while the iPhones can multi-tast, it is very limited, by design. There is no way to accomplish as much in the same amount of time as you can on WebOS.

Android phones are kind of similar, they can multi-task, but the OS operation has caused limitations to it as well.

Both of these platforms also make it a lot more involved to close an active app. We just have to swipe a card away.

Everyone who has used WebOS knows we do not have these same limitations. Anyone one that wants to can make an app that can operate in conjunction with any other, any of the phone features and at the same time as a ton of others. The only thing that ever limits it is the RAM and processor speed.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    If it were me, I'd put a lot of concentration and emphasis on the multi-tasking.

Apple still locks most stuff out, they claim it is to prevent device problems and security problems. So, there are only a few things that will let operate in conjunction with and at the same time as other things are running. Thus to do most stuff, you have to close one app in order to use another. This means that while the iPhones can multi-tast, it is very limited, by design. There is no way to accomplish as much in the same amount of time as you can on WebOS.

Android phones are kind of similar, they can multi-task, but the OS operation has caused limitations to it as well.

Both of these platforms also make it a lot more involved to close an active app. We just have to swipe a card away.

Everyone who has used WebOS knows we do not have these same limitations. Anyone one that wants to can make an app that can operate in conjunction with any other, any of the phone features and at the same time as a ton of others. The only thing that ever limits it is the RAM and processor speed.
    I'm definitely going to be including multitasking in my report, I think that's what makes webOS so unique.. I have until next Friday to have this done. So far everything has been good. THANKS!

& THANKS to everyone who has helped me out so far. I will be posting up my report when it's complete
    Windows Mobile 6.x (boring but managed to make it fun) ---> Android (got annoyed with the loads of force closes & random resets) ---> webOS (not looking back)
    you could also introduce everyone to the awesomeness and convenience of internalz
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    I'd love to contribute some ideas! Tomorrow I'll have some, but I really need to get some sleep right now (it's 2 AM where I am!) Good luck!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Shameless plug: For more of my thoughts, ideas, sarcastic remarks, and other things you're probably better off not not thinking about, follow me on Twitter
    If you left Android when webOS dropped, there have been many fundamental changes to Android in the year+ since that time. I would recommend against basing your analysis of Android solely upon your own experience.

Definitely focus on the webOS synchronization with Google, Facebook, etc. I absolutely love having my contacts ported into webOS for me from Gmail and Facebook (picks up names, pictures, phone numbers, email addresses, birthdays, etc), as well as the calendar sync between webOS-Gmail-Google Calendar. No other mobile OS comes close to this functionality (well, Android might, I'm not sure there because of its Google-sponsored development).

In my opinion, the webOS email client is significantly superior to that of iOS or Android.

Lastly, include the fact that the webOS software is available on phones across multiple networks throughout the world. This is a breadth of presence that iOS cannot match (iOS is GSM-only), and one that Android does.

Just some thoughts...hope that helps...