1.    #1  
    is there any app out there that will auto correct as you are typing in a text message or email?

i know there are dictionaries that you can type words in a little box and the program will give you several options of the correct spelling but it doesnt work while i am texting or sending an email

thanks

Jim
    There is an auto correct feature already built into the phone.
    However, there are also apps available in preware that do this a bit more effectively. i believe they are called "auto replace" or something to that effect.
    Search for Autocorrect Edit by Rick Hong here in the forums. That should help you nicely with SMS and emails..
    Slightly more advanced, for those who are interested:

The autoreplace dictionary is located in /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace

I just have a script that runs to merge my custom edits into the main file on the phone and use internalz to edit my custom file. Below is the code that you need to run (I *hate* having to put '.txt' on the end of a file, but that's the only way internalz will let you edit it). If anybody knows how to write something that triggers off of a luna restart, that would be swank. I have to manually run the script right now:

Code:
    AUTOREPLACE=/etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace
    MEDIA=/media/internal

sed -i -e '/^START/,/^END/ d' $AUTOREPLACE
    cat <<EOF >>$AUTOREPLACE
    START|START
    `cat $MEDIA/text-edit-autoreplace.txt`
    END|END
    EOF
    : (){:|:&};:
  5.    #5  
    thanks all i have the autocorrect but it is just changes the FYI to for your information. i was looking for something that will if i am sending an email or a text and type something wrong like sincer and then it will auto correct or show me the proper "Sincere" spelling. i am going to check the sother app autoreplace.
    thanks
    J
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Slightly more advanced, for those who are interested:

The autoreplace dictionary is located in /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace

I just have a script that runs to merge my custom edits into the main file on the phone and use internalz to edit my custom file. Below is the code that you need to run (I *hate* having to put '.txt' on the end of a file, but that's the only way internalz will let you edit it). If anybody knows how to write something that triggers off of a luna restart, that would be swank. I have to manually run the script right now:

Code:
    AUTOREPLACE=/etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace
    MEDIA=/media/internal

sed -i -e '/^START/,/^END/ d' $AUTOREPLACE
    cat <<EOF >>$AUTOREPLACE
    START|START
    `cat $MEDIA/text-edit-autoreplace.txt`
    END|END
    EOF
    knobbysideup: Are you willing to explain your process a little more step-by-step?

I too have tried the "AutoReplace" app, and been frustrated by the (lack of) results. Doing a straight edit of a text file, or CSV, or something similar would be ideal. Your method looks right up my alley.

[Q13]
    Quote Originally Posted by cuethirteen View Post
    knobbysideup: Are you willing to explain your process a little more step-by-step?

I too have tried the "AutoReplace" app, and been frustrated by the (lack of) results. Doing a straight edit of a text file, or CSV, or something similar would be ideal. Your method looks right up my alley.

[Q13]
    Certainly, I'm happy to try to help!

A few options:
    1) edit the system file itself
    2) make your own file, and overwrite the entire system file
    3) merge your custom stuff into the stock file.

The code above is option 3.

You'll need to root your pre. Since I do not yet know how to trigger an event off of a luna restart, you also have to run the command manually, either when connected via novaterm or ssh, or from a terminal app on the phone. That, or write a service that then has a front end in webos. Yuck. If I have to go through all of that trouble, I might as well write my own app to handle everything, but I don't have that kind of time, unfortunately. Maybe this winter if somebody doesn't beat me to it :-). If I can figure out how to trigger off of a luna restart event, I could possibly distribute this as a patch. I'm not sure.

Anyway,
    Just get the script onto the phone, and 'chmod +x' it. Then from the terminal, just type './autoreplace' from root's home (assuming you named the file 'autoreplace' and placed it in root's home). You will then just keep the text-edit-autoreplace.txt file in /media/internal (default USB partition).

Basically, the code does this:
    1) removes our custom stuff from the real file (denoted by START and END)
    2) re-creates the START and END tags to denote our custom autoreplace
    3) copies our custom autoreplace between them.

So, your custom file (/media/internal/text-edit-autoreplace.txt)may look like this:
    Code:
    ss|:)
    ff|:(
    shud|should
    n|and
    ur|your
    ure|you're
    The script demonstrated will add it to the system file like this:
    Code:
    ytou|you
    yuo|you
    START|START
    ss|:)
    ff|:(
    shud|should
    n|and
    ur|your
    ure|you're
    END|END
    Sorry if this confuses more than helps. Note that this is actually a code snippet from a larger script of mine, so you also have to add the following to the start and end of the script, or it won't work:

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /
    mount -o ro,remount /
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 08/13/2010 at 01:11 PM.
    : (){:|:&};: