Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    So people, any ideas why 1.4.5 took so long to be released in the US? It seems exactly (included Fstab bug) like the one released WEEKS ago. It's not even a big update. I guess it's just bugging me that it took a really long time LOL!

    I don't even notice any improvement when entering text on a website. What was improved? Seems just as bad. This might be a separate thread.
  2. #2  
    Sprint was busy with the Evo Froyo update.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by capt4chris View Post
    I don't even notice any improvement when entering text on a website. What was improved? Seems just as bad. This might be a separate thread.
    It seems like nothing got changed with that
    Samsung A850< Sanyo Katana< Palm Centro< Samsung Instinct< Palm Pre

    <-Daft Punk in the Avatar!
  4. #4  
    The question was "what took 1.4.5 so long".
    lol. Ask the Verizon and AT&T folks that one. They are still waiting.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Sprint was busy with the Evo Froyo update.
    I guess that's true. I guess it would make sense that they have a single QA group that would test any phone update. Although that doesn't seem to explain Verizon and AT&T still waiting for the update.
  6. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    It seems like nothing got changed with that
    what text entering problems are you having?

    I think the fix in the update is how you couldn't enter comments in some blogs like at webos roundup
  7. #7  
    Maybe Sprint was waiting to see what changes if any were being requested by "A" or "V". If there was some major advance in the code I would think Sprint would not want to pass it up. As far as "V" goes. I would hope that they would drop their GPS mapping program and code and just use the same stuff Sprint uses. Reason: IT FREAK'N WORKS! Or they could just purchase the rights for the BFGmaps. Reason: IT FREAK'N WORKS too. Also one of our guys would have a great pay day.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    what text entering problems are you having?

    I think the fix in the update is how you couldn't enter comments in some blogs like at webos roundup
    Actually, I was always able to post comments at Precentral or Webos Roundup. It would give an error but it still posted if I went back to check.

    The problems I have entering text:

    -When I enter text in a website the first letter is not automatically capitalized

    -When I want to type in a big text area like a blog comment I'll tap the area and it zooms but then as I type it will go off-screen. The focus doesn't follow the cursor. Or if I want to highlight the text I entered, it also does not follow the cursor.

    It's little things like this I wonder how they miss. Or maybe I'm just one of those people that are good at finding bugs LOL.
  9. #9  
    My camera loads WAY faster than it did before and Google Maps loads faster. The update is worth it for those two things alone in my book.

    I haven't tried any new PDK apps yet though.

    nnb
  10. #10  
    Google Maps doesnt load faster but the Camera sure does.

    Also if playing Pandora, then opening the Camera app, did it usually pause Pandora or is this new?


    Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Google Maps doesnt load faster but the Camera sure does.

    Also if playing Pandora, then opening the Camera app, did it usually pause Pandora or is this new?
    whenever music is playing, in any application, and either the camera is launched, or the phone app receives or dials a call, the music is automatically paused. this has been here forever. since the first treo had ptunes installed, in fact. probably even before that. its a convenience, really.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    The question was "what took 1.4.5 so long".
    lol. Ask the Verizon and AT&T folks that one. They are still waiting.
    Telcel users in Mexico are still in webOS 1.4
    Last edited by alvaro_qc; 08/12/2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    The question was "what took 1.4.5 so long".
    lol. Ask the Verizon and AT&T folks that one. They are still waiting.
    That may not be a bad thing. You have the opportunity to learn from the screw-ups from all of the Sprint users while updating.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  14. #14  
    maybe this security issue was the reason for the delay:

    http://www.precentral.net/webos-sms-exploit-revealed
  15. #15  
    I suspect it having to do with careers needing to 'approve' the update and thus needing their engineers to look at it. They probably do not want to dedicate many resources at this point to webOS due to other phones and OS taking much higher priority. So, the update sits in the carrier's To-Do list until they get around to it.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I suspect it having to do with careers needing to 'approve' the update and thus needing their engineers to look at it. They probably do not want to dedicate many resources at this point to webOS due to other phones and OS taking much higher priority. So, the update sits in the carrier's To-Do list until they get around to it.
    Or... the most likely situation was as Bev said above. If they discovered an exploit in the OS, they aren't going to release it until it is fixed and tested for that and others. There is no way they would release with a newly discovered major security issue. Palm states that this issue was addressed and fixed in this update. I certainly don't mind waiting a little longer for a safe version vs. having a security vulnerability. Just imagine the blasting Palm would have taken by the public and press if they went ahead and released instead of protecting the users.
  17. #17  
    I caught a hint on the WebOSroundup podacast of a cause. It had to do with the Pixi. Since the 1.4.5 was for the Pixi to get PDK apps they found that the update broke some PDK apps that were working fine with the Pre. The 'fix' they worked out was the 'bug' of lost saved game data. I believe that how it was worded. He didn't come right out and say but when you listen to the conversation (talking about the 1.4.5 update) and the guy (a Palm dev name was Ben Comby...or something like that) said there was an issue with this update breaking other PDK apps. Go to webOSroundup.com and checkout the podcast (actually podded a day before 1.4.5).
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Telcel users in Mexico are still in webOS 1.4
    It's nice to be a dev
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Or... the most likely situation was as Bev said above. If they discovered an exploit in the OS, they aren't going to release it until it is fixed and tested for that and others. There is no way they would release with a newly discovered major security issue. Palm states that this issue was addressed and fixed in this update. I certainly don't mind waiting a little longer for a safe version vs. having a security vulnerability. Just imagine the blasting Palm would have taken by the public and press if they went ahead and released instead of protecting the users.
    I think the vulnerability was already known. 1.4.5 was released overseas weeks ago and if this update was ANY different (i.e. a fix included addressing the vulnerability), then we wouldn't have gotten 1.4.5 in the states, it would have been something like 1.4.5.1.

    Maybe the carriers really are neglecting webOS. If that's the case, Palm must bring HP's cloute to their "attention" LOL.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions