1.    #1  
    now that the PDK has been released?

P.S. I wish Palm would hurry up and roll out a new phone with a larger screen already.
    I believe the pdk allows apple apps to be ported to webOS so if the developers actually stand behind webOS then there should be a lot more apps
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ...Palm/HP will get us a device when one is ready. Be patient & don't worry about it...again... Wouldn't you rather them get it PERFECT this time?!?!?!?!?!?!
    I don't think so. If Palm had the apps ready for the catalog they would be available now. In this smartphone market, everything comes down to apps.

I suspect there will be 4 to 5 major players (IOS 4.0, Android, and then everyone else) in the smartphone business. Palm is fighting for it share of the lower third and nothing else matters. From what I can see online there are a number of players fighting for this foothold:

1. HP/Palm - webOS
    2. Microsoft - Windows Mobile 7
    3. RIM - OS6
    4. Nokia - Symbian OS

One look at Wikipedia Smartphone page levels the playing field pretty clear - though the pie-chart looks dated. What's even more interesting is the fact that Apple and Google who are basically controlling the market only hold 10% of all phones worldwide. Most people still use Flip Phones and these are the people that Palm and HP and everyone else is interested in.

Updates like webOS 1.4.5 will help swing a bunch of developers over from Apple simply because Apple is becoming too much of a profit loss for programmers with so much competition. Palm is a great opportunity and will keep making headway in positive directions with new innovations and functional aspects coming in future updates like 2.0.

Will the App Catalog ever get to 100k or 200k apps...no probably not, but then what most people want are 100 or so good quality apps and the rest is simply fluff and padding. Apple's marketing is grand "there's an app for that," but then if you ask those you know who have iPhones how many apps they have and how many they've purchased and you get numbers I simply wouldn't expect (80 apps total and less then 10% from purchases). Most of my clients who have iPhones buy more music and videos then apps.

I honestly see mobile business moving clearly too more Books, Music, Video, and similar content and the big players (including Palm/HP) who have the best hardware and software will succeed.

That is why I'm sticking with Palm. Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 08/11/2010 at 07:11 AM.
    <<Thread Moved>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    i think nokia is going with some sort of Meego thing now
    Hybrid apps not available yet, I assume?

That probably means still no Docs to Go anytime soon....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I don't think so. If Palm had the apps ready for the catalog they would be available now. In this smartphone market, everything comes down to apps.

I suspect there will be 4 to 5 major players (IOS 4.0, Android, and then everyone else) in the smartphone business. Palm is fighting for it share of the lower third and nothing else matters. From what I can see online there are a number of players fighting for this foothold:

1. HP/Palm - webOS
    2. Microsoft - Windows Mobile 7
    3. RIM - OS6
    4. Nokia - Symbian OS

One look at Wikipedia Smartphone page levels the playing field pretty clear - though the pie-chart looks dated. What's even more interesting is the fact that Apple and Google who are basically controlling the market only hold 10% of all phones worldwide. Most people still use Flip Phones and these are the people that Palm and HP and everyone else is interested in.

Updates like webOS 1.4.5 will help swing a bunch of developers over from Apple simply because Apple is becoming too much of a profit loss for programmers with so much competition. Palm is a great opportunity and will keep making headway in positive directions with new innovations and functional aspects coming in future updates like 2.0.

Will the App Catalog ever get to 100k or 200k apps...no probably not, but then what most people want are 100 or so good quality apps and the rest is simply fluff and padding. Apple's marketing is grand "there's an app for that," but then if you ask those you know who have iPhones how many apps they have and how many they've purchased and you get numbers I simply wouldn't expect (80 apps total and less then 10% from purchases). Most of my clients who have iPhones buy more music and videos then apps.

I honestly see mobile business moving clearly too more Books, Music, Video, and similar content and the big players (including Palm/HP) who have the best hardware and software will succeed.

That is why I'm sticking with Palm. Sorli...
    Wow, just wow. Some of what you say sounds good. Some is just wishful thinking. You need unit sales. No unit sales, no developers. How many WebOS device are in the wild now?
    dont forget samsung with there new os i forget whats its called...
    Yes...Samsung....and Mego or whatever they are called. Samsung and Nokia are HUGE and control the Flipphone market...so better watchout.

So many groups to keep tabs on...Yikes and now Sony is making Androidish phones that also play PSP portable games or they have plans too??? Who knows really, this is all speculation, and I'd guess Palm has sold over a million phones. Though, 1 million phones compared to 200k android sold every day and those numbers seem irrelevant.

Yes I am hopefull and am looking forward to what Palm can do now and in the future. Some may call me a Palm Fan Boy...but I look at a bunch of tech for my business and my clients businesses and have a pretty good idea of what works and what does not. For that matter, does it really matter? If you like a device and appreciate what it has to offer, who cares what anyone else thinks, use it, and make your life more productive. Thankfully my Pre makes me or my business more money. I'm a tech consultant and everything I do is handled (schedules, contacts, research, etc) through my Pre.

Either way, when it comes to my next Palm device (phone, pad, etc), thankfully I'm in no rush, HP can take time making it just right, and make something interesting for both the users and developers. Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 08/12/2010 at 08:06 AM.
    the biggest concern is that Garmin is now making android phones with a real gps built in.