1.    #1  
    After seeing the new blackberry 9800Torch (slider) for ATT commercial, I had to wonder to my self what If Palm Made a commercial like this for the Pre when it launched. How much more sucessful it would have been compared to the creepy pale girl.

Not saying this is an awesome commercial, just asking because the phones are of similar design, both portrait qwerty sliders. Also because this commercial make the blackberry look like it has a card system like webos and would of been excellent way of showing Palms multitasking card system.

heres the video.

Certainly better than a creepy lady talking about walking in the park and deja vu.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  3.    #3  
    Anyone know if blackberry implemented some new multitasking system similar to the commercial?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Anyone know if blackberry implemented some new multitasking system similar to the commercial?
    If they did, they didn't show it very well. Never showed it doing more than one thing at a time, that I noticed anyway. Did you mean where the tiled screens came into view on the phone one after the other?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    If they did, they didn't show it very well. Never showed it doing more than one thing at a time, that I noticed anyway. Did you mean where the tiled screens came into view on the phone one after the other?
    yeah it was the way the showed the screens switching from one app to the other similarly to how you would in webos with advanced gestures on.
    Sigh...
    RIM + Palm buyout would've been match made in heaven. Imagine Web OS running on Torch!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Sigh...
    RIM + Palm buyout would've been match made in heaven. Imagine Web OS running on Torch!!!
    have you seen the Torch's hardware specs? barely better than the pre. if even better
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    have you seen the Torch's hardware specs? barely better than the pre. if even better
    We have had a Torch prototype in the office now for nearly two months and I can vouch that it absolutely sucks. It's slow like you've never seen and then interface is something BB should have had maybe two or three years ago.
    SHOCKER, slow? With it's 600mHZ processor?

And NO, it doesn't card multitask... Notice the "screen image simulated" disclaimer below.

What HPalm should do is produce a new device. The advertising is simple... Show what it does, for goodness sake. It's not rocket science. Show the device in someone's hand being used. That's all.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    SHOCKER, slow? With it's 600mHZ processor?

And NO, it doesn't card multitask... Notice the "screen image simulated" disclaimer below.

What HPalm should do is produce a new device. The advertising is simple... Show what it does, for goodness sake. It's not rocket science. Show the device in someone's hand being used. That's all.
    Or show a bunch of cool innovative apps being used on the Pre Plus and say, "You don't need fruit to have an app for that". That would be an awesome way to fight the iPhone, "You don't need fruit".
    umm.... I don't think bringing up apps is away to "fight" iPhone.

iPhone doesn't have majority market share. This isn't a fight; any ad campaign that targets a competitor's "weakness" only exposes the lack of ingenuity and strength of the advertised product. Thinkof political ads.

there's room for all platforms.. Problem is that no one even knows about webOS, since early ads did NOT show the OS, but rather tried to be "catchy". Take a clue from Apple... The simpler, the better.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    After seeing the new blackberry 9800Torch (slider) for ATT commercial, I had to wonder to my self what If Palm Made a commercial like this for the Pre when it launched. How much more sucessful it would have been compared to the creepy pale girl.

Not saying this is an awesome commercial, just asking because the phones are of similar design, both portrait qwerty
    sliders. Also because this commercial make the blackberry look like it has a card system like webos and would of been excellent way of showing Palms multitasking card system.

heres the video.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I don't think the commercial(s) in question make or break the success of the device(s) in question. What hurt the Pre was poor market perceptions of both Palm and Sprint (originally the exclusive carrier), bad hardware build quality, and a bevy of newly launched mobile devices that quickly surpassed the new Pre's capabilities (larger screens, more apps, multimedia functions, etc). However, I think the single factor that worked against the Pre the most was the crappy hardware and poor customer support from Sprint. Combined with the fact that Palm should have focused more on consumer-centric marketing (many still regard Palm as only a corporate phone maker), you have the complete picture of a product launch disaster.

In launching a new phone, HP must get these things right: hardware that matches (or beats) the HTC EVO 4G and iPhone 4. APIs for hardware functions built into the OS (camera, etc). Better hardware build quality. A detailed initiative for gaining more apps and increasing developer buy-in. Clever, consumer-focused marketing campaign. Streaming visual media content (Netflix, Hulu, or both).

It's a tall order. HP certainly has the resources to make it happen. But will it? I'm not so sure anymore - as I said the other day, it seems HP's board is habitually hell-bent on wreaking havoc throughout the company's executive ranks. Every few years, they destroy the company and its strategy (sometimes out of necessity - I hated Carly Fiorina and Patty Dunn, but believe Hurd was the best leader they'll ever have). Focus is lost, and the downward spiral starts anew. Only this time, HP has far more baggage (3COM, EDS, Palm, etc.) to cause the company to unravel.

Sorry for ranting, but I feel like HP is going to screw this one up. I think Palm might be done for.
    If Palm had produced a solid device that was much loved by the people who bought it, had relatively few complaints and returns, with high customer satisfaction, then one could say that their problem was largely marketing. But that is not even in the same zip code as reality.

If they had produced a successful marketing campaign, they would have magnified their problems by a large factor. Even more people would be unsatisfied with their WebOS experience, and the Pre would have been that much more of a failure. Instead of being largely ignored, Palm would have been universally panned. They would have likely died sooner, and worse.

Marketing was not Palm's problem. Shoddy hardware and an unfinished OS, coupled with slimy Psystar-esque tactics were much bigger problems.

Finally, why point to the Torch ad as an example? There is no evidence that such an ad will help RIM. The Storm ads were much better, and we all know how that story ended, both times. There are many factors that contribute to success in this industry. But it is not a game won by the one with the best ad, IMO. The smartphone steak has to have a lot more going for it than advertising sizzle.
    Novelty matters -- look at the success of the iPhone and iProducts in general. If it's novel AND it rates well with the massive technology media market out there, where it's talked about actively, day to day, by bloggers and mainstream reporters, it's a hit. A novel phone that rates poorly rises quickly and dies quickly too.

The problem with the Pre is that it was only novel for a short time. Its camera wasn't cutting-edge, its screen and processor weren't, and its keyboard wasn't conceptually new (though it remains superior to most smart phones). It's a great phone, the best I've ever owned, but its strongest feature, its operating system, is something that's obscure, difficult to hook customers with, because it doesn't fit into a bullet point.

WebOS wins the customer over long-term, which leads to word-of-mouth promotion, but something has to bring in that customer in the first place. Biggest screen, fastest processor, best camera, best price. Those are the hot points. Hook 'em, then convince them they were right.
    I think the main reason the Pre did not do well was because of the ad's, and not because of Sprint -- like some people (not here, but in media) have suggested. I mean, I wanted the Pre from day one of it's introduction at CES 09, but that commercial made me scratch my head. I was like...why palm, why???

And yes, the Torch's specs are not impressive -- which is a sad, sad thing. It's such a great phone.
    What's everyone's problem with the Borg Queen? We all got assimilated, so I guess she was effective.
    I don't think the BB Torch commercial is anything special.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    It would have been awhole lot better, I think!