View Poll Results: Is The Palm Pre/Pixi The Best Mobile Device That You Have Ever Used?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 74.29%
  • Almost

6 17.14%
  • No

3 8.57%
  • Not Even Close

0 0%
  1.    #1  

I just wanted to see how other users would rate their WebOS devices, when compared to other phones that they have used before. For me the Pre is by far the best phone that I have ever used, because it's like carrying a powerful tiny laptop. The Pre isn't perfect, but it's the closest to perfection that I have found so far.

So For Me My Top 5 Mobile Phones Would Be:

1. Palm Pre
    2. Palm Centro
    3. Palm Treo 650
    4. HTC PPC-6700
    5. LG EnV Touch

So where does the Pre/Pixi fall into when listed against your top 5 all-time favorite mobile devices?

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

2. OrR
    Not restricting this to phones but mobile devices in general, it's probably in second place, soon to be moved to third.

1. Tapwave Zodiac. Best thing ever, very hard to beat.
    2. Pandora. Not here yet but will probably be fantastic.
    3. Palm Pre. Best phone ever, brilliant OS.
    4. Nintendo DS. Can do so much crazy stuff I never expected.
    5. Game Boy Advance. My first handheld which I abused for prettty much anything.
    6. Timetop Game King. 48*32 pixel of weird and beautiful gaming.

It's easily the best phone I have ever owned, though, because I never got any other smartphone. They were just too unimpressive. Well, I got the Openmoko Neo 1973 but that never quite worked.
    Its hard to do favorites lists with gadgets cause it changes every time I get something new and shiny

The pre is probably second right now after the ipad, but they will both be bumped down when new palm devices come out.
    Palm Pre is # 1, how do I know this? I'm a premier customer and by the time I reach my yearly upgrade I have a new phone, not this time, still have launch day Pre and loving it!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    1) Pre Plus
    2) Dell Axiom (Windows Pocket PC - circa 2005)
    3) Sony Clie (Palm OS)

*Devices I never had but wanted
    Tapwave (brilliant idea. Why NOT put an analog joystick on there?)
    Sharp Zaurus (ahead of its time. Early Linux based mobile device)
    Newton (yeah, I'm old enough to have wanted one)

I did have one other Windows Palm-ish device, but I can't remember what it was called or even who made it... This was circa 1998-9. I think it was a Phillips device?

I have loved all these devices. The Dell had awesome handwriting recognition. For me. Oddly enough it read my handwriting about 90% of the time, but when I tried to show someone else how great it was, it would get their handwriting about 30% of the time. That is without training the algorithm either. It read my handwriting right out of the box. It's downfall was the backup battery on the board. I'm still mad about that one. When it died the whole thing became useless. I tried a hack replacement, but it never worked right.

The Clie I loved because it was dead simple. Sony made good hardware, and Palm made a great OS. I used it as an eReader more than any other device I've ever owned. No color, but crisp text. I also played a lot of Space Trader.

Pre Plus is the best all around device. The leg up it has over the old palm OS is WebOS and the open-ness of the OS. Developing for WebOS is far simpler than Palm OS.

I followed Palm's history pretty closely during the dark days of splitting the company into OS company and hardware company, making an OS nobody wanted (was it called Garnet?), and then finally finding their way with WebOS.

I'm seriously hopeful that HP can bring the hardware and make devices that will do well in the market. Partly because I want such devices, and partly because I want to write apps for such devices...
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    1. Talkboy from Home Alone
    2. Game Boy Original
    3. Palm Pre
    My favorite mobile device of all time is definitely my Verizon launch day Palm Pre Plus.
    I have become obsessed with it and it has become my new hobby.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I miss many things about my Centro but it was never as incredible as the Palm Pre.

I also love the Nintendo DS because it is an awesome little machine when you do a little modifying to unleash it's real power (much like the Pre). My kids use the DS. I just use the Pre.

I wanted to add the Tivo to my all-time favorites list too. It's another misunderstood, hackable piece of techno-love. I actually cannot watch TV without Tivo because it feels like prison.

The Pre is top of list because it is the powerful, take-with-you-everywhere, multi-purpose tool that I MISS if I ever leave it behind because life is harder without it.
    When Tivo and NetFlix teamed up to provide streaming video on the Tivo (and Wii, Playstation, etc) it was awesome and dirt cheap. When I'm able to stream Netflix movies to my Pre I will dance in the streets.
    My Pre falls second to the next gen of smartphone that Palm will release (hopefully before Xmas).
    1. My DJ and recording studio equipment
    2. Palm Pre!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bosabilene View Post
    When Tivo and NetFlix teamed up to provide streaming video on the Tivo (and Wii, Playstation, etc) it was awesome and dirt cheap. When I'm able to stream Netflix movies to my Pre I will dance in the streets.
    I honestly don't understand why we don't already have this feature. I keep seeing that Verizon Droid commercial, where the guy is able to watch Blockbuster movies on his device. So why can't WebOS users do that? Our devices are built perfectly for video; with a strong processor, a lot of memory and a large 24bit OLED screen. Those stats are being wasted if we can't watch movies on our devices. Maybe the Flash-Player will allow for this, but who really knows. I just know that me personally, I would pay extra every month for a chance to watch movies from Netflix, or any other company for that matter, on my Pre.

13. OrR
    Sorry to break it to you but you don't have an OLED screen. (It's also not particularly large...)
    By the way, you can watch movies on your Pre. Just rip them from DVD.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by OrR View Post
    Sorry to break it to you but you don't have an OLED screen. (It's also not particularly large...)
    By the way, you can watch movies on your Pre. Just rip them from DVD.

The screen is big enough for me. I do watch movies, videos and SprintTV on my phone. So the screen is great for that. I just want to be able to stream movies, and not keep them stored on what's left of my Pre's memory. Hopefully that service comes out soon, because that would make the Pre even better.