1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

Hackers take Palm GPS Fix to 1.0, Verizon & Palm Continue Looking Into It
    Written by Christopher Price on August 5, 2010

Hackers take Palm GPS Fix to 1.0, Verizon & Palm Continue Looking Into It | PhoneNews.com

While Verizon and Palm continue to investigate why third-party applications cannot utilize GPS, hackers have taken their solution beyond the beta.

We previously reported on the Verizon GPS Fix application that has been released to the Palm Beta Catalog. The application uses VZ Navigator’s signed GPS files to wake up, and ping the GPS chip inside the Palm Pre Plus, as well as the Pixi Plus on Verizon. This unlocks GPS tracking for third-party applications, including Google Maps. It also provides non-Verizon webOS devices with more up-to-date GPS tracking.

While the application remains in the Palm Beta App Catalog, the application has hit the landmark 1.0.0, leaving customers asking why Palm has yet to acknowledge the issue, both on Verizon devices, and with the lack of GPS updates in general.

Palm nor Verizon has yet to formally acknowledge the issue, and because of that, many doubt that webOS 1.4.5 will fix this issue. While Verizon previously neutered GPS functionality to only Verizon applications (such as VZ Navigator and Family Locator), Verizon announced prior to the Pre Plus’s launch that phones would no longer have this limitation. It is unclear why Palm took the effort to digitally sign and prevent GPS from functioning on applications other than VZ Navigator.

Clearly the GPS Fix “graduating” to the non-beta App Catalog could spark a PRPRPR $blunder$ $for$ $the$ $new$ $division$ $of$ $HP$. $PhoneNews$.$com$ $will$ $continue$ $to$ $follow$ $up$ $on$ $the$ $GPS$ $issues$ $on$ $all$ $webOS$ $devices$.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Let me be clear -- I am not a "hacker", I am a homebrewer! There is a difference.

EDIT: Let me clarify. This is not intended to be an antagonistic post. It is simply meant to highlight that there is a difference between what we do in homebrew and hacking. Homebrew is a form of hacking, but without any of the nasty legal stuff associated with hacking. This is why we call it homebrew and this term is more in line with what we actually do.

I apologize if I ruffled any feathers.
    Last edited by spdsktr; 08/07/2010 at 06:17 PM.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Agree, James is a great Homebrewer and we all should be proud of all of our webOS homebrew developers!! Besides, why is fixing the GPS problem considered hacking? Palm and Verizon should have fixed this GPS problem long time ago!!
    Verizon isn't going to fix the problem
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Let me be clear -- I am not a "hacker", I am a homebrewer! There is a difference.
    in our hearts, we will always know that...
    The GPS feature works great on my Sprint Pre, all Palm did was build the phone to Big Red's specifications, why is everyone so quick to blame Palm every time something does not work on their phone?
    gps fix works great! Verizon did say via twitter that they are working on it. So hopefully they fix it asap!
    We certainly understand (and respect) the difference between hacker and homebrew.

The issue for us is that the VZ Navigator patch requires Preware, and cannot be deployed via the App Catalog. We'd love for HP to just fix the issue, but that part of the process... if we had to pick between homebrew and hack, we'd call a hack.

That doesn't mean we think there's anything illegal, wrong, or un-awesome about it.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    I use GPSFix and love it! This is the first time I have been able to get an accurate GPS location on my Verizon Palm Pre Plus. Great job James - I for one appreciate what you have done.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  10.    #10  
    BY posting this thread, I NEVER wanted to insult you! From everything I have read/heard you are HERO & LEGEND with your home brewing work....GOOD FOR YOU! and Thank you! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Jay, no insult at all! I'm sorry. Just want to make sure people understand there is a real difference between what we do in homebrew and hacking. We are doing nothing illegal and the word hacker has that conotone to it. No, we homebrewers are legit. That's all I wanted to get across.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Thanks to James Harris for GPS Fix. I installed GPS Fix a few days ago. I'm still testing it, but over the last few days it seems to work just fine.
    I am on Sprint, so I am not experiencing the problem. But I know people on VZW who are having problems. You have performed a valuable service for them, James. Hacker, indeed.
    hacker != cracker

go read what it really means.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    The lack of accurate 3rd party GPS functionality on my Centro (and with the Pre/Pixie apparently) is what has made me look at Android for when my Centro finally dies.

I am not looking forward to that eventuality... :/
    Palm1000 --> Palm Pilot Pro --> Memory/IR upgrade --> PalmIII --> Snap-on Modem --> PalmIIIx --> PalmVx --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> PalmOS is dead, Long live PalmOS!
    I love all of you homebrewers as well as this whole supportive community but most of you got it wrong.

There's no shame in being a hacker. It's only shame media has mixed a term cracker (a wannabe hacker willing only to take shortcuts to bring harm to others) with a hacker (generally any person with a knack for solving problems) and what's even sad is that they (mainstream media) have even apparently gotten to such a group of people seemingly very proficient in technology (which is usually a trait of a hacker). But I'm not even entirely sure Christopher Price had used the term derogatively.

If this all intrigues you, a good place to start exploring is at the Definition of a hacker.
    Want to get the best Android Apps on your webOS device? Tell HP we need OpenMobile ACL!
    Sign the petition today at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/a...apps-on-webos/
    I have my verizon pre plus homebrewed, and I have GPS fix installed. I still can't get an acurrate GPS fix. It shows me like a mile away on google maps. The GPS is horrible on mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilishmael View Post
    I have my verizon pre plus homebrewed, and I have GPS fix installed. I still can't get an acurrate GPS fix. It shows me like a mile away on google maps. The GPS is horrible on mine.
    Try turning off Google Location Services. Post over in this thread when you have some results: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...p-catalog.html
    - James Harris

Author of: