Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    The problem, for us WebOS users, is that HP did not buy Palm to compete with Apple and Google in the Smartphone world.

It will come eventually, but I'm sure HPalm is not racing to get something out the door. They want to do it right. But more importantly, they want to do it on more than cell phones.
    Saying it's too late is simply an incorrect statement. That's like if Apple had said that a couple years ago before Android came out. That proved the point. Right now the mobile market is only 5% of what it is capable of in size. When (not 'if') another OS comes out that captures customer and developer interest you will see the names of those front running 'horses' in the race change.

This market is in its infancy and there is a LOT of room to grow, lots of money to be made, and lots and lots of innovations yet to be discovered.
    Really, I think Dieter hit on something with his post about device agnostic webos. It would be a revolutionary idea allowing users to have many devices or not, but all your apps would work / sync regardless.

That said, mobility is evolving rapidly. Add in video and UCC, and it's really a whole new ballgame for enterprises at least.
    Three years ago (2007) I was using an HTC Touch (Vogue) on Sprint running WinMo 6.5 and laughing at the iPhone, and Android was basically non-existant. Things can really change, so I wouldn't worry still. I know waiting sucks, but unfortunately things take time. I'm sure it seems like iPhone and Android have just been totally awesome for forever, but not that long ago they sucked.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-ge...-too-late.html
    Apparently it's never to late. =)
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Saying it's too late is simply an incorrect statement. That's like if Apple had said that a couple years ago before Android came out. That proved the point. Right now the mobile market is only 5% of what it is capable of in size. When (not 'if') another OS comes out that captures customer and developer interest you will see the names of those front running 'horses' in the race change.

This market is in its infancy and there is a LOT of room to grow, lots of money to be made, and lots and lots of innovations yet to be discovered.
    This is true, but, HP made a point of saying it was not purchasing Palm to be in the smartphone business. If they are not going to rock and roll on the smartphone front and put vast resources into it, why even try?

I know, I know, everyone (include Hurd himself) said that he didn't mean they wouldn't be making smartphones, but the fact that he even made that statement says they are not going to seriously compete with Motorola/HTC/Samsung/etc. It seems it will be a "side business" for them.

Having said that, I would love them to prove me wrong (and soon ).
    it's never too late, consumers are fickle and will flock to any new gadget.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Tell that to Sony. They owned portable music for over a decade with the Walkman but got into digital music players just a little too late. Hey, but it's never too late, right? Perhaps they are going to bring back the Walkman and take this holiday season by storm. Or maybe they have a phone for us?
    Good point. Or we could talk about this little company that revolutionized an industry with fresh and innovative products, only to become complacent and stale when the market began to mature, and didn't keep up with the competition, who were now the innovators. So they radically reinvented themselves and their product, only to watch their promise flicker out because they couldn't gain enough traction in the now rapidly increasing competitive market. They ended up having to be bought out to stay alive. But lucky for us, it's never too late.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by jadiff View Post
    It will come eventually, but I'm sure HPalm is not racing to get something out the door. They want to do it right. But more importantly, they want to do it on more than cell phones.
    You're right, of course.
    Problem is, the others are ALREADY doing it on more than cell phones.
    iPad anyone?
    Not to mention the Dell Streak and a slew of other Android tablets in the works...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    This is true, but, HP made a point of saying it was not purchasing Palm to be in the smartphone business. If they are not going to rock and roll on the smartphone front and put vast resources into it, why even try?

I know, I know, everyone (include Hurd himself) said that he didn't mean they wouldn't be making smartphones, but the fact that he even made that statement says they are not going to seriously compete with Motorola/HTC/Samsung/etc. It seems it will be a "side business" for them.

Having said that, I would love them to prove me wrong (and soon ).
    While true that it is going to be a side business for HP, that won't mean much to us here. Look at samsung, smartphones to them are the definition of a side business, yet they are coming out with the highly anticipated galaxy s phones. I see no reason for HP to do something similar. They don't need to drop everything just to make a good smartphone.
    Q: Since when was there a time limit? Time limit to what? How do you know when the time is up?
    A: Trick question. There is no time limit. Any manufacturer can come out with a great product at any time. This is true for any industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Q: Since when was there a time limit? Time limit to what? How do you know when the time is up?
    A: Trick question. There is no time limit. Any manufacturer can come out with a great product at any time. This is true for any industry.
    It doesn't matter if a product is great or not. It matters that there is space for it in a market with comparable and more entrenched products. The pre was a great product, but wasn't the success Palm needed it to be. Or perhaps we're talking about the OS, in which case we can look at Ubuntu as an example. Windows and Mac OS were firmly entrenched by that point, and no matter how good Ubuntu is, or how much better it can be than those two, it will never be as successful. Why? Because they got into the game too late, and can't compete with the mindshare that those two have.

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Tell that to Sony. They owned portable music for over a decade with the Walkman but got into digital music players just a little too late. Hey, but it's never too late, right? Perhaps they are going to bring back the Walkman and take this holiday season by storm. Or maybe they have a phone for us?
    Sony didn't lose portable music because they were too LATE to digital players. It's because they, like almost everyone else, made relatively crappy ones. They actually were earlier than Apple and got totally leapfrogged.

How about Microsoft? XBox - late to the party. Zune - late to the party. Windows Mobile - done nothing for years. But in a few months Microsoft is likely to be a contender in smartphones again, utilizing Zune and XBox as strengths.

If Sony built an awesome music player taking advantage of a great music/video store or subscription ecosystem, it WOULD be popular enough to get them back in the portable-media-player-without-apps game. They aren't going to do it, however, because that's not a growing market (unlike smartphones).

How late was Google to the email game vs. Yahoo, Microsoft, AOL? Or search, for that matter?

A company like Palm doesn't have the luxury of being way behind or failing hard and trying to come back without someone saving them. A company like HP does.

That being said, WE WOULD LOVE NEW HARDWARE NOW HP!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    Sony didn't lose portable music because they were too LATE to digital players. It's because they, like almost everyone else, made relatively crappy ones. They actually were earlier than Apple and got totally leapfrogged.

How about Microsoft? XBox - late to the party. Zune - late to the party. Windows Mobile - done nothing for years. But in a few months Microsoft is likely to be a contender in smartphones again, utilizing Zune and XBox as strengths.

If Sony built an awesome music player taking advantage of a great music/video store or subscription ecosystem, it WOULD be popular enough to get them back in the portable-media-player-without-apps game. They aren't going to do it, however, because that's not a growing market (unlike smartphones).

How late was Google to the email game vs. Yahoo, Microsoft, AOL? Or search, for that matter?

A company like Palm doesn't have the luxury of being way behind or failing hard and trying to come back without someone saving them. A company like HP does.

That being said, WE WOULD LOVE NEW HARDWARE NOW HP!!
    Hit the nail on the head there
    So, are the current crop of popular smartphones really crappy enough that HP/Palm is likely to come in and leapfrog the competition? In what way will the hardware and software be better? Will the phones be free on contract instead of $199? Will they come with better installed apps? Will the display be better? Will the battery last three days? Will you be able to flick a card off the screen to make it go away?

What I'm hearing about webOS 2.0 and new hardware prospects is the potential to catch up to the competition in terms of features without the ecosystem and without the scale of the other platforms. It certainly doesn't sound like they will be leapfrogging the competition.
    I don't think crappy is the issue. The Blackberry Curve is a decent phone. But time has passed it by. HP / Palm will need to come out with a combination of features which make it distinctive enough to matter.

While there certainly is no guarantee that they will, by no means has technology reached a point where a new concept can't turn the market around.

The "experts" tend to be the worst ones to offer analysis. Look up all of the articles on the new BB storm. Some "experts" are saying "RIM is back in the smartphone race" others are saying it not enough, others calling it a wasted effort. The reality is there are other factors, some yet unknown, which will determine their success.

In this business, success is only for a year anyway... (or until your next phone release, whatever is less)
    HP is a huge supplier to large buisnes. Lets say hp decided to offer packages of laptops, palm pads and palm phones to it's customers in the corporate world. This would instantly catipult webos and seriously hurt blackberry. I see this happening because it will be useful running the same os on everything in your workplace. This is what he meant by them not buying palm to get into the smart phone market. They bought palm to advance in the market they already are in. Hp will release the palm business suite eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    It doesn't matter if a product is great or not. It matters that there is space for it in a market with comparable and more entrenched products. The pre was a great product, but wasn't the success Palm needed it to be. Or perhaps we're talking about the OS, in which case we can look at Ubuntu as an example. Windows and Mac OS were firmly entrenched by that point, and no matter how good Ubuntu is, or how much better it can be than those two, it will never be as successful. Why? Because they got into the game too late, and can't compete with the mindshare that those two have.
    I would submit that the problem for Ubuntu (which I like) is that there is no way to market it in the way Windows and Mac OS are pushed. The MS flacks are relentless in pushing their product. I get calls from someone connected to them everyday and we already use their stuff here.

Commercial OS products also buy their customers with bundles and promotions. They buy tech folks by the certification processes (if I just spent a ton of money getting Server 2008 certified AND it promises higher income for me, would I EVER recommend a Linux based server product?)

Otherwise who wouldn't like a cheaper, stable alternative to what is out there now.

Smartphones, Browsers, and much of the tech world are becoming short term technologies. People change them frequently and with a less amount of loyalty that in the past. The companies who build their business model accordingly will profit:

1) Don't expect to market a phone for more than 9 months.
    2) Have something new in the pipeline constantly.
    3) Sell the sexy (size, speed, etc), while building the "back office" functionality
    I have never liked HP honestly... only kinda like them now.. only because they bought palm.
    I have a feeling google and apple will out do HP in every way.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html