Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There's a new beta app from HP out there and it looks somewhat interesting. Particle System Benchmark loads a bunch of particles onto your screen, which fly around at random, changing colors. You can add "gravity wells" as well! You can see the realtime FPS as your Pre renders the particles.

With a 800Mhz overclock and 500 particles on screen, I get a solid 11/12 FPS, with the occasional dip towards 9.

To reflect the recent updates, Ilm changing the bench mark a little. Please post your results as such.

Kernel:
    Speed:
    FPS:

My benchmark (for example):
    Kernel: Warthog -97
    Speed: 800Mhz
    FPS: 20

Parameters should be set to:
    Particles: 200
    Wells: 1 in the center of the screen.
    Help: Set to off.
    Gravity: Off.
    ColorCycle: Off
    Last edited by Zen00; 08/05/2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: improved benchmark
    I'm hitting an average 15 fps with Uber 1GHz with the odd dip here and there.
    What settings are you using?
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    settings for what?.... In the app I hit add particles to 500 count then disable the help screen.... That makes a difference of anywhere 4-5 fps... And freq set @ 1GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    settings for what?.... In the app I hit add particles to 500 count then disable the help screen.... That makes a difference of anywhere 4-5 fps... And freq set @ 1GHz
    Ahhh, sorry. I missed where the OP said 500 particles.
    Running 105 @1 GHz I'm between 9-15. Drop a Gravity well in the center and I'm 7-11.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    With factory Palm kernal and 500 particles I was getting about 4 fps.... started wondering if my pre wasnt working right, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.
    Last edited by toddpsyd; 08/05/2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo
    I see that I vastly over-compensated due to running on the emulator.

I have submitted version 1.0.2 and adjusted the particle count to more accurately reflect the true performance of the device. Particle count default is now 20 and can be incremented by 10.

Also, the number of gravity wells is important to mention for your benchmark. Each well doubles the number of computations performed.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I'm hitting an average 15 fps with Uber 1GHz with the odd dip here and there.
    uber 1ghz? What is this you speak of and why don't I have it?
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    uber 1ghz? What is this you speak of and why don't I have it?
    It isn't actually an unberkernel it is one of the testing kernels called thunderchief. UK is up to 800 MHz and is the safest to use.
    At 1ghz I can get 400 particles running at 13/14 fps. 500 goes down to 10/11.

Edit: all with 1 gravity swell.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    To get a more stable fps reading it would be nice to display an average over a certain period (e.g. 10 s or 20 s).
    My benchmark:
    Kernel: UberKernel -92
    Speed: 1Ghz
    FPS: 24

Parameters:
    Wells(screen tap): 1 in the center of the screen.

...400p = 14fps ...800p = 7fps
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    It isn't actually an unberkernel it is one of the testing kernels called thunderchief. UK is up to 800 MHz and is the safest to use.
    Uber now supports 1ghz, check the change log, I'm not sure if that is public release or testing though.

Just installing this app, will test in a sec.

Pip
    Running stock kernel @ 500 particles and 1 gravity well I get 5-6FPS dropping at -1FPS per gravity well. Originally downloaded this because I was intrigued by the screenshot showing 29FPS @ 2000 particles when on my Pre, I've only been able to get that high with an empty app-loop... and that decreases rather dramatically when you start add functionality to it... especially if you add anything remotely complex to the equation... Like particles and gravity... or in the case of my app, viewpoint perspective.

Oh, and @Error454, I'm guessing you're guy who made this app. Any chance we can get the source code... Officially... An ipk is fine
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    As you may have guessed, the 2000 particles at 30 fps was due to running on the emulator on my 8-core system.

As soon as I submitted this app, it became property of HP. So providing the source would likely get me in trouble. I'd be happy to explain any algorithms and add features on behalf of the community.
    with new control parameters:
    Uberkernel 1.4.5-92
    1 GHz
    22FPS

And all settings as per first post

(I believe the 1GHz is still in the testing and so far have had 0 issues, no freezeups,reboots, heat issues...)

hope that helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Error 454 View Post
    As you may have guessed, the 2000 particles at 30 fps was due to running on the emulator on my 8-core system.

As soon as I submitted this app, it became property of HP. So providing the source would likely get me in trouble. I'd be happy to explain any algorithms and add features on behalf of the community.
    This is an interesting app, as it gives a tangible way to compare the different kernels I can install on my pre. Really shows the boost in performance with the F105 kernel running at 1GHz. Plus, it's pretty neat to watch the patterns of the particles and their motion when running in slow motion when I get over 5000. =)

Yeah, I saw that. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was just saying how I got all excited hoping someone knew a way to get way better performance out of a canvas based app and then fired it up and got 6FPS...

As soon as I submitted this app, it became property of HP. So providing the source would likely get me in trouble.
    Oh well, it was worth a shot.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    My benchmark (for example):
    Kernel: Thunderchief -92
    Speed: 1000Mhz
    FPS: 17-22

Wells: 1 in the center of the screen.

during this time my temps hit 53 degrees
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    For you folks running different kernels, do you know where I might pull the equivalent of 'uname -a' from the environment?

Does Mojo.Environment.build show this? I'm thinking that it wouldn't be hard to run a 30-second benchmark and then have the device post the stats and kernel version to a server. Then you could look at who is topping the charts, what kernel they're running etc.

The details I can't seem to find are how to get data for:
    Kernel Version
    Clock Speed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast