Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, while doing a routine search for info on webOS 2.0, I ran into the following article.

There were two things that struck me as funny.

1. That it shows a mock up of a dual screen Pre II or C40, (or what ever they will call it). That mock up was done by a Pre Central contributor.

2. It's in French, which I do not read a word of....I translated it to English using Google Translate. If any of you read French, I would love to know how accurate the translation is!

Apparently, it is a guess at what we will be getting soon from Palm!

It is interesting to read all the same.

Take care,

Jay

ENGLISH TRANSLATION VIA GOOGLE TRANSLATE:

Since its acquisition by HP Palm a few months ago, we talked a lot about the future of webOS, on shelves or in printers, but much less for smartphones, although it is the first trade of Palm.

Let us rejoice, the rumors we slip into the ear of good news: a new mobile would be in the pipes of the manufacturer, the C40! Boarding webOS course (in its version 2.0), this device could incorporate a 4.3 inch screen (480 x 800), an 8 megapixel digital camera with 720p video recording, Snapdragon processor 1 Ghz, 32 GB of storage, and support of many new gestures. The text retains the design of Pre, with a sliding keyboard:

The C40 is distributed exclusively by Sprint later this year. Attention all this is rumor and computation for the moment, so it should be taken with a grain of salt ...

It refers to a Pic, which you can find at the following location, (including the original French text, (I have included the French Text).

Palm : un C40 dans le tuyau ? - Actualité sur Mobifrance, le magazine communautaire de toutes les technologies mobiles

ORIGINAL FRENCH TEXT:

Depuis le rachat de Palm par HP il y a quelques mois, on a beaucoup parlé de l'avenir de webOS, sur des tablettes ou dans des imprimantes, mais beaucoup moins des smartphones, qui est pourtant le premier métier de Palm.

Réjouissons nous, les bruits de couloir nous glissent à l'oreille de bonnes nouvelles : un nouveau mobile serait dans les tuyaux du constructeur, le C40 ! Embarquant bien évidemment webOS (dans sa version 2.0), cet appareil pourrait intégrer un écran de 4,3 pouces (480 x 800), un APN de 8 mégapixels avec enregistrement vidéo 720p, un processeur Snapdragon à 1 Ghz, 32 Go de stockage, et le support de nombreuses et nouvelles gestures. Le smartphone conserverait le design du Pre, avec un clavier coulissant :

Le C40 serait distribué par Sprint en exclusivité en fin d'année. Attention, tout cela n'est que rumeur et supputation pour le moment, c'est donc à prendre avec des pincettes…
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I can't read it sorry I tried
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-Troy View Post
    I can't read it sorry I tried
    Hi, I assume that you mean the French portion...Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Thanks for digging this one up Jay! Hard to believe how many times that P|C member's mock-up picture of a new device has been used all over the world. Wow. I really wonder if the author of the article got his "news" of the specs by simply looking at the mock-up picture and nothing else. 4.3" screen with a slider? Whoa...

Thanks!
    looks like the BB torch
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    and I just hope it's backwards compatible with the touchstone!

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    I hope they go with omap 4...
    Haha that's the same exact keyboard taken from a BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Mobile HotSpot At&t
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Agreed...by the time the new webOS devices are released (holiday season is the best bet) the 1Ghz snapdragon will be outdated in respects to a flagship device. However, if Palm releases several devices, I can see a mid-range device with SD in it and OMAP4 in their top tier. Moreover, I'd really love to see OMAP4 based on the crazy overclockability we're seeing in OMAP3.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Agreed...by the time the new webOS devices are released (holiday season is the best bet) the 1Ghz snapdragon will be outdated in respects to a flagship device. However, if Palm releases several devices, I can see a mid-range device with SD in it and OMAP4 in their top tier. Moreover, I'd really love to see OMAP4 based on the crazy overclockability we're seeing in OMAP3.
    Hi, I have to say I agree with that.

There are only 5 more months left to the year...Since we know this will hit the stores this year, I assume it will be before the holiday season.....Perhaps November.

I like the rest of you will be counting off the days.

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post

There are only 5 more months left to the year...Since we know this will hit the stores this year, I assume it will be before the holiday season.....Perhaps November.

Take care,

Jay
    How do we know this will hit stores this year?
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post

Take care,

Jay
    Do we really KNOW that the next webOS phone will be out this year? I feel like I've done a pretty good job keeping up with the news here. While I know a lot of people are speculating that Palm will release a new phone by the end of the year, I can't recall seeing any definite statements from HP/Palm that say this is so. I know we get webOS 2.0 before the years end, and I think a tablet is planned too, but a Phone? Please refresh my mind as to where anyone from HP/Palm stated that there would be a new webOS phone by years end.

I'm on the fence for jumping to android, but as late in the year as it is, I might be able to hold out a few more months if I knew for sure beyond any doubt that there will be a new webOS phone soon.

Thanks,
    we don't know for a fact, but 1.5 years is long enough to go without releasing a new phone.

Also, hp said they are sticking to palms roadmap for now, meaning it was already started. Considering these things takes less than a year, i'm confident we'll see it by the end of the year. Palm wants a new device, and web-os 2.0 to release at about the same time.
    2 years for a phone in development(Pre will have been out for a year and 1/2 in a few months)... Holiday season is just the right time for launch it will target all blackberry users coming off contract (As RIM likes to launch during holiday season) so a lot of people will be ready for upgrades. At least i hope thats what they are thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Yes - The Snapdragon processor is old hat. The new processor of interest is TI's new dual-core OMAP4 mobile chipset that promises insane performance and 145 hours of battery life.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Pass on the Snapdragon. It doesn't handle gaming very well on the Evo. I expected more from the 1ghz processor.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    it seems like palm should release as soom as possible rather than wait till the holidays because believe it or not people are defecting and their products are very stale
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Pass on the Snapdragon. It doesn't handle gaming very well on the Evo. I expected more from the 1ghz processor.
    That has to do with the graphics processor. The slower Pre and iPh 3Gs smoke the Evo in gaming due to using the same graphics co-processor.....the Evo does not have nor uses a strong GPU.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Do we really KNOW that the next webOS phone will be out this year?
    Yes...I have been told specifically "do NOT get an iPh4 and wait for the Holiday season"....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast