Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    +1
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    If I knew how to retweet, I would.
    Hah! My first retweet, to all 3 (count em, 3!) of my followers!!!
    I'm confused. Isn't this something that would depend on Palm releasing a microphone API? Why is this something that retweeting should determine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I'm confused. Isn't this something that would depend on Palm releasing a microphone API? Why is this something that retweeting should determine?
    Who knows? I think its more of a thing to show support and stir up some excitement. Truth is, i'm sure HP already has a whole list of ideas concerning video chat and voip apps.
  7.    #7  
    It shows the general want of the product, and since Sood is a higher up in the HP line, he could communicate more of the community's feelings.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Hah! My first retweet, to all 3 (count em, 3!) of my followers!!!
    Same, but the hastag(#name) is in the search, and it counts as a number)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    If I knew how to retweet, I would.
    Hit Retweet.
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    For quite a while now there has been a groundswell of enthusiasm for a webOS Skype app on the forums at Skype.com and here on these forums. So is Sood saying that this is now on the horizon?
  9.    #9  
    For quite a while now there has been a groundswell of enthusiasm for a webOS Skype app on the forums at Skype.com and here on these forums. So is Sood saying that this is now on the horizon?
    I think he may have some idea, but if he sees that there's a want(which there obviously is), then he could use HP's resources to push for that.
    palm has the mic api already on the roadmap, so assume it will be in by the time 2.0 arrives.

FYI, this is why the HP purchase is a good thing. You have powerful executives using webOS, and discovering what is missing. But, instead of doing focus groups, cost/benefit studies, and ranking priorities... they can say "hey, I want skype" and a room full of programmers gets to work on it...

The more powerful HP execs that use it, the more horsepower gets put behind filling in the gaps to make this a world class phone. You know that when Rahul Sood has lunch with Eric Schmidt, they will pull out their phones and compare... and Sood isn't going to want Schmidt to show him up...

This is all goodness.
    Last edited by Workerb33; 08/04/2010 at 09:09 PM.
    I haven't used Skype in months but I'd definitely start up again if an app came to the Pre! lol
    Ruby already noted before the HP buy-out that the version of webOS after 1.4.5 will include camera and microphone APIs. I'm sure this post by Rahul was to lobby Skype to start dev on webOS 2.0 in some early dev release fashion.

I'm betting that this is some bait by Rahul to elude to us that Skype is going to be the video call standard on webOS...which would be nice. Eventually, Skype should support FaceTime as well so we might be able to video-calls our iPh4 friends.
    Skype is never going to support FaceTime, and FaceTime is never going to support Skype. The official word from Apple will be that they're incompatible, and Skype can't try; but if you would like to interface with FaceTime, you're free to buy an iPhone!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Skype is never going to support FaceTime, and FaceTime is never going to support Skype. The official word from Apple will be that they're incompatible, and Skype can't try; but if you would like to interface with FaceTime, you're free to buy an iPhone!
    The official word from Apple will be that they're incompatible.
    citation needed.
    Facetime is going to be a universal standard, skype probably won't choose to support it but I could see (the name is blanking on me... But the universal IM client in the app store) supporting it.
    Palm should already have the mic api. Skype has an sdk now so palm can use that to make an app. And some where else i read that its was coming too. I don't if palm already has it and is just testing it.
    I am all for skype being available on webOS. WebOS with Skype is a perfect union.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Show me where that info came from. I've been following this FaceTime stuff and I've NEVER heard that. Only that Apple submitted it as an open standard and is using standards-based technologies to implement FaceTime. I've never heard that they won't ALLOW Skype to develop it. It may be true, but I'd like to see it cited somewhere, because if it is true, it's disappointing.
    I would love Skype on my Pre.
    I was out in the country the other day with no cell access but we did have wifi, and my buddy was making calls all day long on his Nokia with Skype.
    Oh yes, I like!
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    Retweeted.

Based on what info has been given out regarding webOS 2.0, I can definitely see this coming. I'm pretty stoked and I do hope Skype for webOS comes to fruition!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast