Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I really love my palm pre - but I'm really starting to get tired of crap like this:

Vonage connects the Facebook generation • The Register
    Skype mobile™ for Verizon Wireless BlackBerry® and Android™ 3G smartphones
    https://www.dropbox.com/anywhere
    Remember The Milk - Services

That's a small sampling of companies offering mobile apps for iPhone/Android/Blackberry - but nothing for WebOS/Palm?!?

Regardless of how much I enjoy my phone, it is frustrating to see how quickly the newest apps arrive for the "other" phones.

I'm due in Feb for a new phone - I hope to see a lot more from Palm/WebOS by then; I'm still rooting for them!
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    It is definitely a really huge problem. That's why I say HP's number one job is promoting developer buy-in. This is a larger issue than hardware quality, WebOS 2.0, or anything else. Without developer buy-in, nothing else matters! I hope HP understands this.
    You cant blame the companies for not developing for WebOS when there is no user base or very small user base. No point of investing $$ for a small user base when they can get more users on other platforms.
    There is only so much we (user/fans) can do, Palm has to innovate and release something soon.
    Be patient my brother, it's all about supply and demand. With HP future promoting and launching of webOS enabled products such as slates and printers and other devices the number of webOS users will dramatically increase.
    ^ Dont forget Toasters with WebOS..... =)
    Well, for what it is worth, my Beer Knurd app is not on the iPhone. Aside from my version, there is a second version on the Pre (by someone else). As far as I know, the iPhone doesn't have a Beer Knurd app of any kind. I have seen a version on Android and that version looks similar (if not the same) as the other version on the Pre. I believe my version is the only one of the 3 that supports "M.O.U." cards (for having 5+ plates on the wall) and the only one that keeps track of what you are drinking on a given night so you can tell exactly what beer didn't count for you.

The Beer Knurd app is for a very specific market, but I was approched by a person who wants to pay all the fees Apple charges to develop and release an app on the iPhone. My only problems making an iPhone version is lack of knowledge with iPhone APIs and lack of free time to take on the project. Well it doesn't help that I don't care about Apple either. There is even a post in the comments of my app on this site where someone is asking for an iPhone version.

So, it may not be much, but there is some love for WebOS!
    without mic (or camera?) api's available, how useful could skype or vonage apps be? Also, if the hardware can't handle keeping up with more complex apps (pdk apps don't count, as they are run in a sandbox and can't operate in the background, and americans can't even download them yet), what use are they? I'm hanging tight with my Pre, because it meets my needs currently, but Palm needs to get things done, with software, hardware, and dev and carrier relations
    When I emailed MOG (a music based social networking network) that has an iPhone App if they could create an App for WebOS, their response was:

"MOG is looking at a number of mobile platforms. WebOS is one of them. However I don't want to be overly optimistic. Right now it is not a top priority. That may change, depending on HP. The MOG app is surprisingly complex and is harder to implement than it may seem."

"We'll see if WebOS moves beyond 2 devices on the 3rd largest carrier - that's why I was saying it's up to HP. Thanks for the suggestion!"

Developers don't even know that WebOS has 4 different phones on the three largest US carriers and several foreign carriers.
    Palm and HP need to do some serious advertising and get developers informed about the ease of developing for WebOS, the use of the PDK and the Developers incentive programs.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I was just thinking. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the average Pre/Pixie user is probably more apt to sit down, figure it out and code an app for their phone than an iPhone user. Maybe it's the dev costs? Maybe my view is skewed because I don't consider myself a true developer (it's a side thing I do in spare time), but this is the first phone I have ever written an app for. Hell, maybe WebOS just attracts more programmers because of its foundation in Linux. I saw a need for something and coded it. BTW, I'd pin the average Android user up with the average WebOS user as far as coding something they feel the phone could use. Of the Pre users I know (3 off top of my head), 1 other person is interested in coding for WebOS. Of the iPhone users I know (8 off top of my head), 0 have interest in coding an app. I think I know about 3 people on Android and only 1 has a possibility of coding an app for it. iPhone users seem to just complain until someone releases what they want. They feel entitled I guess, and it's all Mr. Jobs' fault for making them feel that way. The WebOS community sees a need and codes it (where possible).
    I feel the major fault lies with Palm and their lack of aggressiveness in the market. The Pre is over a year old, I know they are going through some growing pains with HP, but releasing no superior hardware in over a year is just foolish. I understand the pixi came out after the pre, however that phone is not superior in any way. Pre+ only has more memory and thats it. Android has multiple phones on all cariers and working with leading cell phone manufacturers.

Maybe Palm should consider allowing other manufacturers to use webos on their phones, because clearly people are fed up with the hardware and not really the OS. Palm is taking way to long to release new hardware which is killing their own OS.

Apple is more of a fan boy thing, so if they release a bag of dog crap with the apple logo it would easily sell for $500+. Palm definitely has a suprioer OS however if no one wants to use it to design apps than it's worthless. I love the interface, but I also need functionality, and right now there are a many apps that I would use on a daily basis that just aren't on the pre.
    Dropbox and Remember the Milk have WebOS apps.

Cloudtasks
    Dropboxify

Both work really well.

And Skype and Vonage need the mic api, which is finally coming in WebOS 2.0

Not to worry, it will all happen. Good things are on the way for WebOS.
    you hit it on the head with that one...+1

Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    It is definitely a really huge problem. That's why I say HP's number one job is promoting developer buy-in. This is a larger issue than hardware quality, WebOS 2.0, or anything else. Without developer buy-in, nothing else matters! I hope HP understands this.
    I keep reading apple this and that and if you like them your a sheep/******...say what you want apple is winning and making a profit...BOTTOM LINE

Quote Originally Posted by hoo.haaa View Post
    I feel the major fault lies with Palm and their lack of aggressiveness in the market. The Pre is over a year old, I know they are going through some growing pains with HP, but releasing no superior hardware in over a year is just foolish. I understand the pixi came out after the pre, however that phone is not superior in any way. Pre+ only has more memory and thats it. Android has multiple phones on all cariers and working with leading cell phone manufacturers.

Maybe Palm should consider allowing other manufacturers to use webos on their phones, because clearly people are fed up with the hardware and not really the OS. Palm is taking way to long to release new hardware which is killing their own OS.

Apple is more of a fan boy thing, so if they release a bag of dog crap with the apple logo it would easily sell for $500+. Palm definitely has a suprioer OS however if no one wants to use it to design apps than it's worthless. I love the interface, but I also need functionality, and right now there are a many apps that I would use on a daily basis that just aren't on the pre.