1.    #1  
    I've been using AIM in the native messaging app on the Pixi and find it decent, yet there seems to be one major flaw in the app. It doesn't use any back-end service what-so-ever. This means whenever I go underground to take the train, go into a bad signal area, take the elevator, or do anything to temporarily lose signal/service, any IMs sent to me during that time are lost and never make it to my device. Usually with mobile IM clients, IMs are stored on some sort of back-end server and any IMs that were sent to you but not to the device itself while you had no service are all sent when you gain a connection, just like a normal SMS message. Thats not the case with this in my experience so far, and is a major flaw considering this is a mobile device, and losing service is something that normally happens. Imagine if you could only receive a text message if someone sent it to you while your phone was on AND had service? Is there ANY fix or hope for this? Any substitute IM clients? I cant see this as a good mobile chat experience if there is no fix for this.
  2.    #2  
    Bump... Theres no way around this?
    Hell, it's not uncommon for me to lose IM's using the Yahoo Messenger desktop client. Overall, in my experience I usually get the IM's once I reconnect. You might want to change your AIM settings to forward IM's to you as SMS messages when you're offline.

Unlike SMS messaging, guaranteed delivery isn't part if the Instant Messaging specification. I personally would rather not connect to a 3rd party server. Check out Agile Messenger. It's fairly new IM app and there's a good forum thread reviewing the functionality. Other options are Mundu and IM+. I wouldn't recommend those.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Hell, it's not uncommon for me to lose IM's using the Yahoo Messenger desktop client. Overall, in my experience I usually get the IM's once I reconnect. You might want to change your AIM settings to forward IM's to you as SMS messages when you're offline.

Unlike SMS messaging, guaranteed delivery isn't part if the Instant Messaging specification. I personally would rather not connect to a 3rd party server. Check out Agile Messenger. It's fairly new IM app and there's a good forum thread reviewing the functionality. Other options are Mundu and IM+. I wouldn't recommend those.
    I'm not saying its not uncommon to lose IMs on a desktop client. The reason why i'm not saying that, is because this isn't a desktop client. This is a mobile phone. With a mobile phone, its very common to lose a data connection when stepping into an area of bad/no service. With a desktop, its uncommon since you're always connected. Because of this, there should be some implementation of a queue system, where when you lose that data connection, you stay logged in, and receive your missed IM's when your back up. The forwarding IMs through SMS isnt a solid option because in order for them to be forwarded, you need to be signed off of AIM. When you lose a data connection, it doesnt sign off AIM, or atleast it doesnt immediately. If your in the middle of a conversation, you can easily miss plenty of IMs during the time it takes for your connection to "time out", if it even does.