1.    #1  
    I have read the bitter complaints about the lack of web os apps for the Audible player, Kindle and Mobipocket readers which are all owned by Amazon and Ereader which is owned by B&N. I have wondered what are the technical hurdles to porting the software to web os? Part of me can't imagine why 2 large companies, especally Amazon has not done anything yet. I did see this on the Palm support forums and frankly find it hard to believe:

"As mentioned previously in this thread, Audible's .aa files are copyright protected media files. At this time, webOS devices do not support any DRM enabled media, be it .wma, .aa, ect.

Your best option would be once you have purchased your .aa Audible files, convert them into a format with no DRM (such as .mp3 or .aac) which will then play with no problems"

TreoAide
    Last edited by rcartwr; 07/29/2010 at 07:57 AM.
    "Many men stumble across the truth, but most manage to pick themselves up
    and continue as if nothing had happened."
    - Winston Churchill
    Is there a Homebrewer out there who can figure something out?
    you should be angry at palm and the carriers for not reaching 10% market share to make it practical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    you should be angry at palm and the carriers for not reaching 10% market share to make it practical.
    I'm not sure we should be "angry" at anyone, but I suspect this reply is mostly correct and it's simply a numbers issue. webOS hasn't gotten enough mind/market share to make it worthwhile for Amazon/B&N to spend resources developing an app.

While I sympathize with the OP, I haven't heard a ton of people crying for this capability, so I don't find it particularly "hard to believe" it hasn't happened.
    With a 3.1 inch and 2.8 inch screen PRE is not really tailor made for an ereader app. That said, Kobo is actually pretty good. I have used it several times and I think it has teh best interface of the the ebook reader apps. I do miss the dictionary feature of "ibooks on ipad" in the Kobo app but I am sure that will be coming in the future.

I also agree with the OP that the developer community has already shown that porting an iOS program to WebOS is pretty easy so I am sure these two giants can make a webOS port fairly easily.

As far as support for DRMed audio files are concerned Palm will be adding support eventually. Until then we will need to find alternate sources for these audio books.
    Last edited by sapient2k7; 07/29/2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: clarity
    are Kindle books readable by Kobo?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    With a 3.1 inch and 2.8 inch screen PRE is not really tailor made for an ereader app. That said, Kobo is actually pretty good. I have used it several times and I think it has teh best interface of the the ebook reader apps. I do miss the dictionary feature of "ibooks on ipad" in the Kobo app but I am sure that will be coming in the future.
    I've also been using Kobo to read ebooks for a while now and don't really miss not having Kindle or Ereader support. Kobo has good selection and prices and the reader is pretty good IMHO. There's also pReader which is a good reader and getting better all the time (excellent support from the dev). It does have support for many formats including the old Ereader and even some limited Kindle books.
    Last edited by davis.rob; 07/29/2010 at 12:20 PM.
    You really shouldn't be angry at anyone but yourself. Why must so many people find others to blame when the blame clearly falls upon themselves?

If you recently purchased the Pre, you should have done youre research first to see if you could use it to read your ebooks.

If you're an early adopter of the Pre and there was never any sort of announcement by Amazon or B&N that they would be porting their software to the Pre, then you took a gamble when you decided to go with Pre. When a person takes a gamble, the responsibility for blame is only upon him/herself if that gamble fails.

If Amazon and/or B&N promised a port of their software and later went back on that promise, only then then does it make any logical sense to be angry at the resepective company (Can we say Adobe and Flash?).
    Quote Originally Posted by rcartwr View Post
    At this time, webOS devices do not support any DRM enabled media, be it .wma, .aa, ect.
    And they should KEEP it that way. The best way to get rid of DRM filth is to have manufacturers refuse to embrace it.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    I would redirect my anger towards Palm's mishandling and slow crawl towards getting vital developers to work on the platform. And then I would weigh how important those developers were to me and it they were more important than webOS, I would switch to a different mobile platform.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Amazon's reader I know nothing about.
    But, when the Pre was first released eReader said publicly in their forums that they were working on eReader for the Pre and would support it. And have done nothing. So disappointment in them is valid.

I read a lot on the Pre, so many thanks to pReader. It keeps getting better and better.
    Will admit that an app along the lines of Alkido on Android would be great, but I'm sticking with the Pre and waiting for new harware announcements.
  12.    #12  
    First, thanks to every one who posted. I was hoping to figure out just how hard it would be to port the iPhone apps that exist already, something that I thought was technically very easy. Frankly I am hoping that HP will grease the skids here and make that happen. I suspect that the reason that the forum here does not clamor for the apps alas is that the people who want them have either drunk the Apple juce or eaten the Android pastries or like me nursed their Treos along. Palm made a major miscalculation not having those apps out of the gate as, at least in my little corner of the world it cost them a lot of sales. To ease ronlongos concerns, I had already scoped out the workarounds ans was just killing time to see if HP was running out some new hardware when I got an offer I could not refuse for a Pre Plus and took the plunge.
    "Many men stumble across the truth, but most manage to pick themselves up
    and continue as if nothing had happened."
    - Winston Churchill