Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I've been searching for the answer to this simple question, and just can't seem to find it anywhere.

I'm relatively new to the pre, and previously had a treo 680. I transferred my contacts, memos, & tasks just fine, but have been holding off on transferring my calendar.

My calendar entries fall into about 8 categories. I know that the pre doesn't do categories, but I can replicate that feature by having multiple google calendars. Will the palm DTA program automatically create 8 calendars when I transfer that data to my pre, or will it just dump it all in the 'personal' calendar? And is there any program that will do this?

I do not want a permanent desktop sync solution, just a data transfer one. But I might have to go back to my treo if I can't bring my historical calendar over categorized...

Thanks for the help.
    the desktop solutions have a free trial period. Grab companionlink and sync away!
    can't you export to an excel spreadsheet sort by categories make a calendar for the category and import that category into the new calendar it will be a little time consuming but you will get the desired result.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    the desktop solutions have a free trial period. Grab companionlink and sync away!
    I did grab companionlink when I was having lots of issues with Palm's DTA, but ended up not needing it, and I think the trial period expired yesterday <grr>. But that still doesn't answer my question. I don't want to 'grab' companion link, let it whirl away, and then start cussing when all of my old palmos events are in the same google calendar. There's no easy 'undo' for that.

I just want to know what program (DTA?) will divide my categories into different google calendars.

I'll go the export to .cvs and manual divide/import route if I really have to, but there's got to be an easier way.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    is there no one who can tell me for sure if palm's data transfer assistant, companionlink, or some other program automatically transfers categories into different google calendars?
    I don't know enough about this to give you a full answer but maybe this is helpful. I believe you can have the multiple calanders setup as different colors on the calendar so that they are visually distinct. I just use the one calendar but I remember there being an option for assigning colors to calanders. Good luck
    I set up Google calendar to play with it prior to a new Pre in a couple weeks. While reading it didn't do categories, I was bummed, because I have my Centro set up with separate categories/colors for my families activities. I since discovered that different calendars with color codes works similarly.

I don't really have that much to forward into Google from Palm Desktop that I can't manually enter. If I had to try to transfer a busy calendar from Palm, I'd be hesitant, as I wouldn't want to lump everything together. Good luck
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    For anyone else who's has this issue, totally found the perfect, easy solution! Check out:
    www . shredzone.org/wiki/pdbconverter.
    (This is ridiculous. I can't even type in a non-linked website if I don't have 10 silly posts yet???)

Just copy the appropriate .pdb file FROM YOUR PALM DEVICE and run it through the java converter on that website; it'll separate your palm calendar into separate ical calendars which are easy to import to google (or wherever else). No date/repeat issues that I've noted so far.
    I've been having horrible iCal issues with MissingSync. I'll try this and maybe it'll help. Thanks
    Do a Goggle search for "dba2csv" and/or "Palm2Google". Their software is I think about 30 euros, but it appears the software can convert your Desktop calendar (with categories) into separate google calendars. I am thinking about using it.

Mike