Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this isnt in the right Catagory, but I went into the Sprint store the other day to get my 5th replacement Pre. the ringer had gone bad, I've been a Pre owner since launch day.

They looked over the phone and said to me that I had voided the warranty by soldering on the back and hacking it. I did have my extended battery with my touchstone mod, but there was nothing touched on the phone itself. I asked what they meant by "hacked". they said Palm doesnt like people using Preware. I explained that I've had preware since the begining and I've had my phone replaced 3 other times with no issue. They went and spoke with the manager and came back out and said they would let me go ahead and replace it, (guessing cause I made a fuss).

So, pretty much I'm warning others, if they have to go into the sprint store, maybe delete Preware for the time being and possibly hide noticable patches. I dont believe Palm doesn't like Preware, but for some reason, they knew enough to notice it and try to deny me.

Again, just thought I'd share my story.
    BTW, the replacement they sent me was a reconditioned Pre, having a blown speaker and bad proximity sensor...
    Well, the soldering and Touchstone mod would void your warranty.

Preware doesn't, however, most stores/repair centers don't like to play with it and there are MANY threads on here that warn you, ahead of time, to remove all patches and Preware from your phone, before taking it in for repair or having it replaced.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Pretty much ANY phone mod will get you in trouble with a manufacturer and carrier unless it's official and approved on both ends. But, with Palm it's a different story.

Palm has made official comments about how they do not condone overclocking and that it can result in a warranty being voided, while at the same time, coming out and saying how much they enjoy seeing people using homebrew.

It's a double edged sword. Plus walking in with a custom touchstone back like yours probably didn't help. :-p
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
  4.    #4  
    I've read about the warnings, i was just surprised after being in there several other times, this time was an issue. I wasnt upset, and, yeah the custom back? silly me. But even though, soldering on the aftermarket back plastic shouldnt effect the phones warranty... like i said, i they denied me warranty, so be it. i made the choice to "hack" my Pre.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    You actually should have Doctored your phone and put the stock battery back in it to make sure a patch or your "mod" was not causing it.

To be honest, I think you went about your return in the wrong way and taking a phone in like that is basically stupid.
    the message is that SPRINT doesn't like physical changes. This has nothing to do with Palm, or their overt support for the homebrew community.

see if you get much warranty coverage on your next new car if you weld an extra battery on the hood of your car and use a cutting torch to 'improve' the exhaust system... But if you had just put on new wheels+tires and tinted the windows, the warranty would be valid...

really? Really!!!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    You actually should have Doctored your phone and put the stock battery back in it to make sure a patch or your "mod" was not causing it.

To be honest, I think you went about your return in the wrong way and taking a phone in like that is basically stupid.
    Thanks, I didnt realize keeping my phones ringer 2 bars lower than max since i got it would blow the ringer. (thats why i needed a new one) the replacement had the speaker and proximity sensor issue out of the box, not after any patches.
    Pretty much what everyone else said here is spot on. Even with new legislation passed (which I do not know when it goes into effect), the only way you will be able to mod your phone LEGALLY is to fix a phone defect or security defect with your smartphone. Otherwise you should always be removing any mods and homebrew work. It's sort of just logic, you know?!
  9.    #9  
    ok, ok. sorry to get everyone in an uproar. nevermind. just trying to share a story, i never said i was right and they were wrong.
    I've always made sure that I did not have anything that they could use those phony excuses at Sprint to say you voided the warranty.

They did that to me and I went bonkers on them.

In my case, the screw fell off that held the two half's together. The screw was actually stuck inside the Pre.

They said I damaged my phone!

I looked at the girl and just went off on her.

***!

The screw fell off, I didn't do it?

They ended up fixing my Pre but some stores have crazy staff. Sprint trains them to not to think for themselves.

The store was on 23rd and 5th ave in New York City. I always have problems with this location.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

it's the thread title that is the problem. Maybe ask a mod to change it? I'd siggest 'Sprint doesn't warrant hardware that has been cut, soldered, and glued...'
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I've always made sure that I did not have anything that they could use those phony excuses at Sprint to say you voided the warranty.
    This is very good advise. Remove anything that might be infringing BEFORE you take it in for service. My wife's Pre keyboard was going dead (she spilled coffee on it) and the 1st rep told me it was dead because I had home-brew apps installed....yea...whatever...I just politely play along.

Found out when his lunch break was and came back then (with HB apps deleted just in case) to talk to someone sensible...replaced with a new Pre on the spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Pretty much what everyone else said here is spot on. Even with new legislation passed (which I do not know when it goes into effect), the only way you will be able to mod your phone LEGALLY is to fix a phone defect or security defect with your smartphone. Otherwise you should always be removing any mods and homebrew work. It's sort of just logic, you know?!
    fyi, there wasn't any legislation. Just a ruling from the copyright office which reviews and manages the DMCA.
    Last edited by Workerb33; 07/28/2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: corrected typo
    Funny, a Sprint store was where I originally heard about Preware & PreCentral.net - and a Sprint rep who showed me all the cool patches and homebrew apps on her phone...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Palm doesn't love nor hate Preware. Palm accepts Preware for what it is, and is grateful for it's existence.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Palm doesn't love nor hate Preware. Palm accepts Preware for what it is, and is grateful for it's existence.
    Have they looked at the Save/Restore app by webos-internals yet? If you made that widely available then I bet it would stop a lot of people crying to tech support when they have to change phones and think they have to lose app data

Pip
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Have they looked at the Save/Restore app by webos-internals yet? If you made that widely available then I bet it would stop a lot of people crying to tech support when they have to change phones and think they have to lose app data

Pip
    I'm hoping that eventually there will be OS support for saving application data automatically in your Palm Profile, even for homebrew apps.

But since there was not such a thing, I wrote Save/Restore for the interim.

[BTW, can we get a mod to change the title of this thread? It should read "Sprint doesn't like doing warranty repairs on devices that have been physically modified"]

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'm hoping that eventually there will be OS support for saving application data automatically in your Palm Profile, even for homebrew apps.

But since there was not such a thing, I wrote Save/Restore for the interim.

[BTW, can we get a mod to change the title of this thread? It should read "Sprint doesn't like doing warranty repairs on devices that have been physically modified"]

-- Rod
    "Sprint doesn't like doing warranty repairs on devices that have been physically modified"
    was too long, it read as: "Sprint doesn't like doing warranty repairs on devices that have been physically modif"

How is ?:
    "Sprint doesn't like doing warranty repairs on physically modified devices"
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    "Sprint doesn't like doing warranty repairs on devices that have been physically modified"
    was too long, it read as: "Sprint doesn't like doing warranty repairs on devices that have been physically modif"

How is ?:
    "Sprint doesn't like doing warranty repairs on physically modified devices"
    LOL I still liked my suggestion about hardware that has been "cut, soldered, or glued...:
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Funny, a Sprint store was where I originally heard about Preware & PreCentral.net - and a Sprint rep who showed me all the cool patches and homebrew apps on her phone...
    Me, too. I had some minor complaints, and the Sprit rep who straightened them out also suggested I might want to try some of the homebrew stuff, and gave me enough info to find this site. And Palm has been quite accepting of Homebrew from the start, even encouraging it, unlike Apple.

The Sprint Store employees didn't blink at the "skin" I'd applied to the screen, either, when I went in for a replacement phone.

I'm not surprised that they balked at a warrantee repair on a phone that you'd soldered stuff onto, though. That's clearly beyond "normal use".
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast