1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI!

Take care,

Jay

FP Tech Desk: HP to challenge Apple, Google smartphones with own software
    Jameson Berkow July 26, 2010 – 3:31 pm

FP Tech Desk: HP to challenge Apple, Google smartphones with own software | FP Posted | Financial Post

Hewlett Packard Co. plans to position its Palm WebOS mobile operating system as a direct competitor to the iOS from Apple Inc. and the Android from Google Inc., the company revealed on Friday.

“HP is said to be working to revamp its consumer offerings to become more like Apple, selling premium hardware well integrated with its own new webOS software platform,” wrote AppleInsider of the announcement.

In April, the world’s largest computer maker purchased Palm Inc. for US$1.2-billion in hopes of becoming a major player in the rapidly expanding smartphone market. Now, it seems HP is planning to make good on its promise to double down on the Palm WebOS.
    After purchasing Palm, HP abandoned plans for a media tablet based on Google Inc.’s Android OS. The company also abandoned plans for a smartphone running Windows Phone 7 OS from Microsoft Inc. earlier this month, though it is still planning on using the Microsoft technology for a Phone 7-based HP tablet targeting at business customers.

The Windows-based HP tablet was first announced in January, at the time being widely viewed as a preemptive strike against the Apple iPad. Though the tablet, to be named the HP Slate, appeared to have since fallen by the wayside until very recently.

For smartphones, HP is going to be fighting an uphill battle to convince distributors to carry WebOS-based phones, and developers to create applications for the Palm platform. Most of those distributors and developers are presently happy to deal solely with the two heavyweights in the smartphone market: Apple and Google.

“In my conversations with HP executives, they sound determined to use HP’s heft to make Palm into a top-tier smartphone platform on par with Apple’s iOS Google’s Android,” wrote CNBC technology correspondent Jon Fortt, confirming the company’s dedication to the new strategy.

Palm’s WebOS interface was designed by Matias Duarte, the man behind such other notable interfaces as Helio and the Danger Hiptop Sidekick device. TechCrunch’s Greg Kumparak once wrote of him, “Wherever this guy goes, awesome user interfaces follow.”

If Mr. Duarte wasn’t working for the Google Android team now, that would bode well for HP’s chances for success in this latest gambit.

Still, with Apple’s former iPod chief Jon Rubinstein as jockey, HP certainly stands a fighting chance of getting a third pony into this two-horse race.

Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    “In my conversations with HP executives, they sound determined to use HP’s heft to make Palm into a top-tier smartphone platform on par with Apple’s iOS Google’s Android,” wrote CNBC technology correspondent Jon Fortt, confirming the company’s dedication to the new strategy.
    This is encouraging news for the pre|central community and us WebOS enthusiast.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  3.    #3  
    Hi, I thought so too, take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm feeling a chill running through my body.
    to me it doesnt mean squat till they actually produce something. im tired of waiting. thinking about going to the dark side and jumping on the band wagon.

i heard that canada and some other countries will be getting unlocked iphones. sounds pretty tempting. if i get one, ill just might jail break it and try the app that can make it have the webos card interface.
    I know, we are in the dark on everything. 1.4.5 is delayed, and there isn't even a hint of new hardware. They are losing their clients to other companies and those that are loyal are ancy.

What's frustrating is there's no conscientency, either.

Maybe it's the silence before the storm, but at this point it's too quiet. Way too quiet.
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Give it a rest already with the new hardware talk. If you like your Pre, then what's the issue?

Everybody complaining about WebOS and Palm losing customers can go right ahead and leave with them. HP is still gonna come out with some big things to push WebOS, with or without the complainers and the turncoats.

I like my Pre. I love hacking the **** out of it. I will love it until another OS impresses me, and I'll wait till HP releases new hardware before I say they are taking too long with their 1.2 billion dollar investment.

You really think they are gonna freak out and change their mind on supporting WebOS after they threw down $1.2 billion?

Drop the whining and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    Give it a rest already with the new hardware talk. If you like your Pre, then what's the issue?

Everybody complaining about WebOS and Palm losing customers can go right ahead and leave with them. HP is still gonna come out with some big things to push WebOS, with or without the complainers and the turncoats.

I like my Pre. I love hacking the **** out of it. I will love it until another OS impresses me, and I'll wait till HP releases new hardware before I say they are taking too long with their 1.2 billion dollar investment.

You really think they are gonna freak out and change their mind on supporting WebOS after they threw down $1.2 billion?

Drop the whining and move on.

But it is disheartening to not here any peep from HP. And when ur trying to convince some1 to get a year+ old phone.
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    The acquisition of Palm by HP was only officially completed as of the 1st of July... so it's been less than a month, and people are already impatient and tired of waiting for new hardware and the next greatest smart phone?

It's not magic... it takes research and development, time, energy, money, etc.