View Poll Results: Should HP rename webOS?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 8.55%
  • No

139 91.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So now that the deal is done between HP and Palm, HP can pretty much do whatever they like. I am curious how the community would feel about HP changing webOS's name to something that would ring better with people.

IMO, I love what webOS stands for, but I think "web" of webOS brings a bad stigma along with it. First, in the minds of misinformed developers, web means you can't do native programming. Second, in the minds of everyday people, web means internet. It's all about the apps these days. People are thinking about a internet page, when the hear web, not a cool apps. I think webOS has a very big mind share problem. Something needs to be done. This is just one idea.

I am not very creative, but some name ideas :

hpOS
    OSnext
    OSnex
    Last edited by gobanjoboy; 07/27/2010 at 11:22 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Why don't you guys think so?

or

Why do you guys think so?
    Last edited by gobanjoboy; 07/26/2010 at 04:49 PM.
    I think HP should stick with webOS. Mainly because I'm so used to that name lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    Why don't you guys think so?

hpOS
    OSnext
    OSnex
    Fail

but seriously, webOS has such small press changing its name again would not be good. Leave it the way it is and when it gets some legs then if HP wants to change so be it
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Even though it's not great, there is some form of Brand recognition with WebOS -- changing the name would make a tough task (getting WebOS out to the masses) harder -- in my opinion.
    Definitely not 'HPos' as the last three letters would provide a field day for detractors.
    The name WebOS just fits - Web Operating System - don't change a thing!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
    Definitely not 'HPos' as the last three letters would provide a field day for detractors.
    lol... missed that one.
  9. OrR
    Worst idea ever. webOS is a pretty brilliant brand. There is no need and no upside to getting rid of it. It's Palm's great strength.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by OrR View Post
    webOS is a pretty brilliant brand.
    How is it a brilliant brand? What makes it brilliant?
    It fact that WebOS doesn't have an ' i ' in the name makes WebOS brilliant!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Change the name,perish the thought!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    I think they should rename it to TheNewNameOfTheOSHPBoughtWhenTheyBoughtPalmThatAllowsDevelopersToDoAnythingTheyWantSoTheyShouldAllDe velopForIT

but that's just my thought
    how about HP-UX?
  15. OrR
    The "web" part perfectly summarizes the commitment to web standards and the deep integration of web content. It's a simple recognizable name. It's got a lot of positive press associated with it because of the great gestures, multitasking and synergy.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    It fact that WebOS doesn't have an ' i ' in the name makes WebOS brilliant!
    I agree. =)
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    how about HP-UX?
    Now that would really suck if they put Luna on top of hp-ux.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by OrR View Post
    The "web" part perfectly summarizes the commitment to web standards and the deep integration of web content. It's a simple recognizable name. It's got a lot of positive press associated with it because of the great gestures, multitasking and synergy.
    I don't disagree with what you pointed out, but i don't think this applies to the main stream of people. In the mobile app developer world, "web" means limited programming ability.
    I like it and a great advantage I feel, is using the web is something the majority of people feel confident they can use. If you go technical with the name it could get intimidating.

I say web OH ESS. A Spanish speaking commenter said webOS sounded like huevos to him. Hahaha I'm sure everyone knows huevos = eggs, but it is also common slang for... uhm... on men... well, let's just say there are always plenty of huevos at a sausage party.
    at least they should remain it in the Spanish speaking market, just like SFHandyman said, webOS sounds like "huevos" (eggs), which is a slang for, well, you know what.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast