View Poll Results: Should HP rename webOS?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 8.55%
  • No

139 91.45%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    True, the marketing sucks - but that has nothing to do with the name. I hope you won't try to make an argument that iOS or Android are intriguing names - they're not. And that's my point. The name doesn't matter. What the software can do, and the number of apps that are available for it, does matter. We need more apps, desperately. HP does not need to go on a wild goose chase over a silly name when the name of the OS just doesn't matter. The apps matter - we need developer buy-in. That's all.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    The apps matter - we need developer buy-in. That's all.
    Yes, and this is why I think the name webOS hurts the effort of trying to get these developers. When developers read/hear the webOS name and think about it in technical terms, if they don't know what the platform can do, they assume whatever they think web means..
    Oui Boss
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I agree - the 'web' in the name gets people thinking too hard about it. The Android folks are getting a huge boost from the Motorola Droid ads. It seems to me that most consumers say, "I got a Droid." "Which one?"

There is only one, true "Droid." But I think there's a benefit to the confusion, if that makes any sense.

Hmm.... Reading that back, I don't think it does make any sense.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by pckocher View Post
    I agree - the 'web' in the name gets people thinking too hard about it. The Android folks are getting a huge boost from the Motorola Droid ads. It seems to me that most consumers say, "I got a Droid." "Which one?"

There is only one, true "Droid." But I think there's a benefit to the confusion, if that makes any sense.

Hmm.... Reading that back, I don't think it does make any sense.
    Yes is does.
    Names do matter... I will not use an operating system if it starts with Microsoft. Hahaha
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    at least they should remain it in the Spanish speaking market, just like SFHandyman said, webOS sounds like "huevos" (eggs), which is a slang for, well, you know what.
    I had a similar idea. But I kinda like it staying with WebOS considering I get a little chuckle when I'm speaking spanish and I just happen to mention webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    Yes, and this is why I think the name webOS hurts the effort of trying to get these developers. When developers read/hear the webOS name and think about it in technical terms, if they don't know what the platform can do, they assume whatever they think web means..
    Kinda like they do with iOS or Android (i means intelligent? Android means robotic?)? Seriously, man, you're not making any sense. If the developers are so ******** as to not know what WebOS is, we certainly don't want their apps anyway.
  9.    #49  
    If the developers are so ******** as to not know what WebOS is, we certainly don't want their apps anyway.
    I would not shun any developers that have quality products. For a lot of developers, because webOS has such a low market share, it's not worth their time to even look into past hearing it's name. The name for them is their first impression. Anything that can persuade them to change their minds or peak their interest is a good thing.
    but I think "web" of webOS brings a bad stigma along with it.
    webOS to me says designed for "the cloud" and has no stigma attached. Looks like you're out voted.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Looks like you're out voted.
    I'm not to worried about that.

I just wanted to start a discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    webOS to me says designed for "the cloud" and has no stigma attached. Looks like you're out voted.
    how about cloudOS?
    I think who cares, the only people naming phones by their respective os names are techie geeks like many of us on precentral. Do you think most iphone owners know the name of their os is IOS (which it just recently changed to). I think with android owners, they call it android because of maketing, and the different manufactures that produce them. I can even bet most verizon android users dont call their phones android phones, but droids. I am postive most android owners dont refer to their andoroid os as cupcake,doughnut,eclair,froyo.
    For most its; apple phone, droid, evo, incredible, mytouch, nokia.

I think the reason most palm users use the term webos, is because we are webos os loyalists (those of us on this forum), or because we know it is different from original PalmOS.

Most consumers will just know it as a palm phone, or hp phone; depending what they brand the phone.
    Last edited by Maestro1; 07/28/2010 at 05:32 PM.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    I think who cares, the only people naming phones by their respective os names are techie geeks like many of us on precentral. Do you think most iphone owners know the name of their os is IOS (which it just recently changed to). I think with android owners, they call it android because of maketing, and the different manufactures that produce them. I can even bet most verizon android users dont call their phones android phones, but droids. I am postive most android owners dont refer to their andoroid os as cupcake,doughnut,eclair,froyo.
    For most its; apple phone, droid, evo, incredible, mytouch, nokia.

I think the reason most palm users use the term webos, is because we are webos os loyalists (those of us on this forum), or because we know it is different from original PalmOS.

Most consumers will just know it as a palm phone, or hp phone; depending what they brand the phone.
    I agree. A lot of people I hear talking about any Android phone have called it the Droid phone. A point I made earlier is, the palm phones need some name that will help grab the public's attention. Calling a phone or set of phones by its OS name is geeky. I think it's better than calling them Palm Phones though. IMO, the Palm brand still careers a stigma of "Out dated product" with people who have not followed palm products in the past two years... which is a very large amount of people.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Its not the name, its the marketing. No one would want an iPhone if it wasn't for the BRILLIANT marketing. Apple is GREAT at that, he'll I know I do not want an iPad because I know all about the features, or lack thereof, but the commercials did have the "wow thats cool" effect even on me. Its all about the marketing.

My girlfriend is a good example. She is not exactly tech illiterate, she is a avid PC gamer, playing CS, L4D, and WOW for a stint, but when it came time for me to want to upgrade to a smartphone, she wanted "a droid" I told her "we're on sprint, the Droid is on VZN and I don't want to switch carriers" and she would pout and didn't want to upgrade at all then. I explained the difference between the OS and the phone. She really was talking about the OS but had no idea, and I thought she got it. We got into the Sprint store and she picks up the Samsung Moment (this was many months ago) and said SEE they do have droid! SHEESSH whatever.

Point is, she saw so many ads about what "droid does" she had that stuck in her head. Normal people don't care what its called, they just know what they want.

Seriously, when HP launches this new phone, they need to be heavy into SHOWING THE PHONE OFF IN THE AD and not some creepy pale lady this time. And they need to drop the name a lot, in every ad "running webOS" and show images of the OS in use. Since they plan throwing webOS onto all kinds of devises, they can not keep the name in the background, people need to know that when they have a webOS printer(lawls), webOS phone, webOS washing machine, that they are all going to work together seamlessly.

I don't think living off of the phone name alone will work anymore. iPhone and Droid have been there and done that, if you try to market simlpy off the name of the phone/OS at this stage they will lose big. When there are already two major choices that EVERYONE has heard of, even if they are not smartphone users, they know the names already. They're going to think "Eh its just another phone so what" when it launches, so they really NEED to show off what the OS does and WHY the phone is better, not just "hey we got a catchy name yo!"
    I would not shun any developers that have quality products. For a lot of developers, because webOS has such a low market share, it's not worth their time to even look into past hearing it's name. The name for them is their first impression. Anything that can persuade them to change their minds or peak their interest is a good thing.
    And if they're so stupid as to not even give an OS a thought besides its name, then I don't want their apps, because they're probably designed just as carelessly as the developer considers mobile OS names. Don't you see what I'm saying? A real developer certainly doesn't care about the name of the OS. A poser dev might. We don't want poser apps.

This is such a stupid discussion, dude. Again, HP has much greater things to worry about than changing an already good name for a good mobile OS.
  17.    #57  
    This is such a stupid discussion, dude. Again, HP has much greater things to worry about than changing an already good name for a good mobile OS.
    No one is forcing you to participate.
    No one is forcing you to participate.
    True, but I continue to feel compelled to reply as none of your posts make sense.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123